• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Walther WA-2000

Re: Walther WA-2000

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JB Gleason</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK. Who's been playing Call of Duty??? Sorry. Couldn't resist. </div></div>Funny!! Actually I collect sniper rifles among some a Sig550 sniper, PSG1, Galil Sniper ect. Just wondering if anyone had any info on the Walther.

I think there are only 6 in the country and only a few of those are in civilian hands. Two years ago there was one on gunbroker with a starting price of 50,000.

I have seen 3 on auctionarms or gunbroker in the 25-50k$ price range. 2 were the same seller, still not sure if it ever sold. The other was a 2nd generation also, couldn't tell if it was the same one or not.

If it was up to me, I would shell out only for the rarer first generation models.

I'm afraid the closest I will ever come to owning one though is through my classic airsoft replica.

I've heard from someone who claims you can still have Walther make you a WA-2000 for ~60k$ and that they still have all the tooling to do it. Anyone else heard anything on this?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcf0721</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JB Gleason</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK. Who's been playing Call of Duty??? Sorry. Couldn't resist. </div></div>Funny!! Actually I collect sniper rifles among some a Sig550 sniper, PSG1, Galil Sniper ect. Just wondering if anyone had any info on the Walther. </div></div>

How about some pics of these "rare" sniper rifles.

15 came to the US. Mostly wondering if it had the performance to back up the looks. In my opinion the standard by which I would judge this rifle is the PSG1. HK implied that the PSG1 would shoot as good as the ammo could. Im a decent shooter but havent been able to make anything better than a 3/4" group with mine, on the other hand I can do better than a 1/2" groups with my AW. Any opinions?

I highly doubt the WA-2000 is worth its salt as a combat weapon system or much anything else. As far as the PSG1 its a good weapon but I think it relies to much on its name to back up its accuracy claims. I really would like to know how well they hold their MOA out to distance. Not saying that they are bad rifles but they are quite pricey and there better rifles. Nothing wrong with collecting them and shooting them thats what they were made for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackhawk41</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I highly doubt the WA-2000 is worth its salt as a combat weapon system or much anything else. As far as the PSG1 its a good weapon but I think it relies to much on its name to back up its accuracy claims. I really would like to know how well they hold their MOA out to distance. Not saying that they are bad rifles but they are quite pricey and there better rifles. Nothing wrong with collecting them and shooting them thats what they were made for. </div></div>

Spoken like a man who has never laid a hand on either rifle (except for COD, etc.)! While I can't speak for the WA-2000 (hell...not many people can), I can speak to the accuracy, including at extended ranges, with the PSG-1. The accuracy guarantee of the PSG-1, to this day, is still one of the most impressive around: 50 rounds (not 3, not 5, not even 10...50) in less than 80mm at 300m (sub MOA with 3.14" at 328y). I have not shot one that would not achieve that level of accuracy and much better with the proper ammo and shooter. As you observed, however, the obvious price-tag problem knocks the PSG-1 (and rifles like the WA-2000), completely out of contention for anything other than a collector's item/sunny Saturday afternoon shooter (especially the WA-2000). The other problem is that people try to compare the PSG-1 (and other rifles in similar circumstances) with more modern technology (including but not limited to advances on the AR-based .308 semi-autos). Today, you can have a custom-built .308 AR made to your specs that will achieve close to 1/2 MOA accuracy for 1/5th the price of a PSG-1 (or 1/20th the cost of a WA-2000), and achieve absolute reliability.

To the OP...depending on the ammo you are using (whether factory or your reloads tuned to the rifle), 3/4MOA with the PSG-1 is well within the norm of what you can expect. Can you achieve better than that...maybe so. Can you consistently achieve better than that...not likely even with reloads tailored for the rifle.

I used to own one in .308. Bought it in 2002, sold it in 2006. Only shot it once. Was really nice, but not very practical. Very very heavy and stiff; kind of like shooting a big brick. I really didn't like the bipod either. In the end, it was really nice to have owned it, but I am glad to have sold it. But I should have gotten the 300 WM version. At the time, I saved about 3k getting the 308, but it was a classic case of being penny wise and dollar foolish. Could have sold it for a much higher price.

i remember seeing it in a bond movie and never again. i knew it was walther, just not the model. nifty.

Walther_WA_2000.JPG

That one is the older variant. The newer variant had a flash suppressor similar to the standard M1a and some other subtle differences. Here are pics of mine back in 2006:

WA20004.jpg

WA20001.jpg

WA20003-1.jpg

Just remembered that the PSG1 brings a test target shot at 300 meters. I found it and measured the farthest two of the five holes at 2 and 3/4 inches.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That one is the older variant. The newer variant had a flash suppressor similar to the standard M1a and some other subtle differences.

WA20004.jpg

WA20001.jpg

WA20003-1.jpg
</div></div> The second version was said to have improved accuracy. How accurate was yours when you shot it.

It was pretty good from what I can remember. I wasn't into reloading back then, and I didn't keep records. I only shot it at 100 yds. Pretty much put the bullet through the crosshairs on each shot. I'd say it had sub MOA capability. I was shooting FGMM 168 SMKs. What made the rifle so attractive was that is was a compact semi auto package capable of good accuracy with a hard hitting round (the 300 WM that is). I think the accuracy claims of the rifle got blown way out of proportion due to its rarity and mystery. I would like to see Walther redo the rifle, but I don't think that is ever going to happen. From what I understand, they destroyed a large number of the rifles in Germany because of semi auto bans.

If you want more concrete info on the rifle, call Earl Sheehan at carlwalther.com. He is the sole dealer of these rifles in the country. I honestly don't know what the going rate for any of them are now, but I am sure they are way out of price range for a reasonable person. Unless you are an avid collector with plenty of disposable cash, I would pass. You can do so much more with the money toward something else.

Here are a couple for sale currently (both appear to be Gen 2 models):

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=220703014 (for a Buy-it-Now of $75,000.00)...

and here is one for a real bargain basement price of only $47,000.00 (+ $50 S&H)!!
crazy.gif

http://www.gunsamerica.com/977093425/Gun...niper_Rifle.htm

Regardless of what their true "value" may be to those in the market for them, or whether or not to shoot them vs. merely collect them...they are, without a doubt, absolutely beautiful rifles to behold!!

The guy asking 75k buy it now is out of his mind, unless he is just trying to pick off a sucker. The 308 version is not even close to that. I'd say 40k at best, but even that is a stretch.

So a question.....if you shot out the barrel....how difficult is it to get a replacement or are you basically screwed.

The $47000 one has been for sale for a while so that should give you an idea about the true market.

I watched the Cartoon ARCHER last night and guess what he was shooting??
smile.gif

I have handled one of these in person although I never shot it, but the machining didn’t seem as impressive as the high end stuff available today. I am sure the best AR-10‘s available today will outshoot it. If this gun wasn’t a bullpup it would just be an obscure oddity.

I had a chance to put 5 rounds through one about some 12, 15 years ago. It was a nice shooter. The one I tried was a .300 Win Mag. Probably not something I'd want to drag around in the field, but I'm pretty sure that rifle was designed with the urban users (e.g LE as opposed to military) in mind.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcf0721</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Funny!! Actually I collect sniper rifles among some a Sig550 sniper, PSG1, Galil Sniper ect. Just wondering if anyone had any info on the Walther. </div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
How about some pics of these "rare" sniper rifles. </div></div>

+1

I could use some rifle pr0n...

No way in hell that will sell. I say top bid hits 12k tops.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcf0721</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JB Gleason</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK. Who's been playing Call of Duty??? Sorry. Couldn't resist. </div></div>Funny!! Actually I collect sniper rifles among some a Sig550 sniper, PSG1, Galil Sniper ect. Just wondering if anyone had any info on the Walther. </div></div>

How about some pics of these "rare" sniper rifles. </div></div>

+1. I would like to see some of these sniper rifles too.

I wish I had the $47000 .... though I prefer the ver1 for collecting, the ver2 doesn't have the flutes on the barrel and look kind of odd.
I've seen one in Germany some years ago and the owner was thrilled about it. He said the accuracy is easily compared with a bolt action rifle!

George

These used to be listed for $16,000 and I would not pay that today. The asking prices are just wishful thinking.

Honestly, you have no business shooting a pure collector's piece.

You do not buy it, to go punch paper on the range.

It makes no sense.

It is no different than shooting a mint original collector's grade Lugar.

If you want to shoot something, buy a AWSM and or a LMT with the 5R barrel.

I would shoot it once but not regularly. If I had a $150,000 FG-42 I would shoot it once.

if I had a $150,000 FG-42 I'd sell it and buy a house or a shitload of ammo or something