• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Waltz Die

woogie_man

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 22, 2010
Fargo, ND
Does anyone know if Mr. Waltz is still making these units? Or if he isn't is there anyone that isn't using one?

Have looked at them in the past but never thought to actually buy one as I would just use my airguns for the yard critters. Now that I don't have any of the airguns anymore I have the rimfires to play with.

If these dies are no longer available what do you guys suggest for putting either a massive hollow point into the rounds, or a melplat? Would like to keep the bullets the weights that they currently are, so no removing of material if possible.

No kidding............lol

Have done that and there seems to be nothing for the past few years about them. Was able to locate an email address for Mr.Waltz but I have no idea if it is good or not. So shot out an email and will see what happens.

If not Neil Waltz perhaps Paco Kelly? I have a Drock tool great guy gone too soon.

Just recieved an email back from Mr.Waltz, and he said it would be a couple of weeks before he will have an inventory.

Email address is a good contact

I'm lucky to live about 20 min. from MR. Waltz. I bought one a couple years ago and I'm very happy with the results. It turns cheap ammo into better ammo. Since I started shooting RFBR I only buy Match grade ammo now . I'm also fortunate in that I'm about an hour from the Ohio Lapua test center. I recently bought a case of CX and I'm very happy with it.

Glad to find out that he is still making these units, as they seem fun to play with.

Wanting to turn some of the CCI Quiets into some mean wadcutters for the rabbits and vermin in my back yard. Trying to reduce as much of the pass through power as possible.

If you shoot suppressed, the sound of the bullet smacking the rabbit is easily 3x as loud as the gun firing. I dont know bout the waltz, but the drock tool had a hollow point that is a beast

The thud is the cool part. Lol

Not sure the neighbors are liking me standing on the roof with my bow....lol. the rifle is a little more easy to conceal. That or it gives me a reason to get a .22 pistol...hmmm

Just got my package from Mr. Waltz today... have to say the packaging and everything looks great.

Can't wait to get some rounds made to see what happens.

Attachments

• 20201109_193213.jpg
    20201109_193213.jpg
    458.1 KB · Views: 289
Last edited:
Reactions: ccollier
If anyone is wondering, Mr Waltz is still making dies. It's best to call him, I sent an email well over a month ago and never got a response. When I called him I mentioned that, his response was, "sometimes I don't get to everything." 😄

At any rate, I got my die set in the mail today and put two boxes of TAC-22 through it, one box of HP and one box of EPS. I think it turned out pretty well. Won't get to test it for a few days, hopefully it is consistent. One thing for sure, the lube starts building up using the EPS die, not a big deal just wipe them off with a paper towel.

I don't use the press for any other ammo, and wanted to do this in my office, so I just used some deck screws to hold the press to a piece of oak, then clamp it down. It takes very little effort, and didn't move around at all.

NW1.jpg
NW2.jpg
NW4.jpg

Never mind the EPS rounds leaning all over the place, there was a wrinkle in the paper towel.

I bought a Waltz die earlier this year, and have only used the "hp" part on some TAC 22 as well. It really helped tighten the group up in my 10/22 with Feddersen barrel. I use a LEE hand press so I could make adjustments to the "hp" at the range. I haven't used the EPS portion yet.

Reactions: Cowpokey
If anyone is wondering, Mr Waltz is still making dies. It's best to call him, I sent an email well over a month ago and never got a response. When I called him I mentioned that, his response was, "sometimes I don't get to everything." 😄

At any rate, I got my die set in the mail today and put two boxes of TAC-22 through it, one box of HP and one box of EPS. I think it turned out pretty well. Won't get to test it for a few days, hopefully it is consistent. One thing for sure, the lube starts building up using the EPS die, not a big deal just wipe them off with a paper towel.

I don't use the press for any other ammo, and wanted to do this in my office, so I just used some deck screws to hold the press to a piece of oak, then clamp it down. It takes very little effort, and didn't move around at all.

View attachment 7862883View attachment 7862884View attachment 7862885
Never mind the EPS rounds leaning all over the place, there was a wrinkle in the paper towel.
do you happen to have his Phone #?

View attachment 7862883View attachment 7862884View attachment 7862885
What is the current price?

Reactions: Basher
I finally tested some EPS and HPed ammo I posted earlier that I ran through the Waltz die. I had some feeding issues, mostly with my Kidd ULW, which can be expected since the EPS nose isn't really "semi auto" friendly, but also a couple feeding issues with my Bergara BMR. Granted, those aren't my best rifles, so maybe the Anschutz 64 or Vudoo would chamber it better? The HP ammo ran great in both, and consistency was very close to non modified TAC-22. I'm going to do another box of EPS and run it though the Anschutz, mostly to see if it feed reliably. Will definitely be keeping the die set around to HP hunting ammo for years to come.

Reactions: deltawiskey
Also, I forgot my squeeze bag for the rear stock support today, having new glasses my eyes were playing tricks on me with focus, and someone must have shot a couple lights out in the middle of the indoor lane I was using today...so, that's why I didn't post any target results.

"A poor excuse* is better than no excuse." -My Dad...not sure if he came up with that, but I heard it (often) from him growing up.

*or three

I'm waiting on some replacement screws (6-48) for my DIP rail on the Anschutz, should have them in a couple days. I popped the head off of one putting the DIP rail back on after I cut the front off earlier this week. When those hit the mailbox I'm going to replace all 4 screws, and get back to the range to test it out with die modded ammo. Hoping for good results with EPS, but if it doesn't it's not a big deal, need it to perform well with HP'd ammo though...I'm sure it will.

So what exactly is the purpose for the EPS? It looks like a flat nose bullet with a nipple. Am I seeing it correctly?

So what exactly is the purpose for the EPS? It looks like a flat nose bullet with a nipple. Am I seeing it correctly?
You are looking at it correctly. The EPS tip is what Eley uses on their match ammo, like Tenex, Match and Team...supposed to be better accuracy* than LRN. I've never shot any Eley ammo, so I have no knowledge or experience with actual performance of their products.

*ETA: For bench rest, I believe.

Reactions: JoshPutman
FWIW, I have also heard (read online) of people using EPS tipped ammo for hunting. It's supposed to be more effective than round nose, and possibly HP ammo if a head shot isn't perfect, and could have a "glancing blow".

I ran 10 rounds of EPS ammo through my Anschutz 1712 AV (54 action) today, and it ran flawless. I didn't notice any "improvement" over non-moddified ammo for accuracy, but it was good to have it run without fail to feed problems that I had with my Kidd and Bergara BMR carbon. Not sure how much ammo I'll EPS mod in the future, but it should be another option to HP'd ammo. I'll probably stick with the HP die, mostly because it always feeds, and accuracy is still really good.

Put 25 rounds of HP'd CCI-SV through each of the Anschutz rifles, at 25 yards they are just as accurate as non modified CCI-SV...or at least not enough difference to notice. Will be perfect for squirrel season. I have a couple bricks of Eley HP Subsonic (38) on back order, that will very likely be the last factory HP ammo I buy.

Reactions: RTH1800
Didn’t see it on his website but does it work with a Lee press?

I use a LEE hand press with my die set, can make the adjustments at the range to see what is better or worse.

Reactions: Frankr
I use a LEE hand press with my die set, can make the adjustments at the range to see what is better or worse.
I have watched some videos of folks adjusting the dies round to round to get "exactly" what they wanted. Does that help? Maybe.

I take time to set the dies with the first few rounds, lock it in place and run through how ever many rounds I feel like doing for that session. Now that I've decided that using the EPS die isn't really something I'll keep trying, I leave it set how I like it with the HP die, and just check the first few rounds of a box...haven't adjusted it any more. That may be more important with the EPS die, I don't think it matters as much with the HP die. I could be wrong, but it seems to perform well. 🤷‍♂️

I took the Waltz die and LEE hand press to the range, and started with maybe 10 rds at one setting, shot them, and adjusted the die in quarter turns. The results on target are similar to setting a tuner or seating depth, the groups get better or worse. LOL I then marked the die lock ring with a marker to be able to return to that setting incase it moved, or I want to do the procedure on another RF.

I have not tried the EPS version yet, I needed the HP for a sage rat trip so I did it first. I have intentions of trying the EPS tip on some ammo used in a match rifle just for S&G's. LOL

Reactions: Frankr
Seems like everyone has different results---more proof that precision rimfire is a fickle mistress!

I've had a Waltz die for awhile. I haven't messed around making hollow points, but I have tried making Federal and Blazer bulk stuff more accurate. They sure do 'look' like Eley after a run through the die--same dimple nose, and where I usually see diameters fluctuate between .220-.224, after sizing they're a very consistent .225. I try to size them as little as possible to get the .225 diameter--sometimes that's barely bumping the nose, and sometimes it squishes the bullet into a SWC.

The 'accurized' bulk ammo seems to be about a little better, but when that ammo is only good for 3-4" groups at 100 yards, coming down to 3-3.5" groups doesn't exactly make the juice worth the squeeze. You have to be very careful not to over-size or the ammo won't feed properly, and the wax build-up from the lube on cheap bulk ammo only lets you size a handful before you need to clean the die.

I pretty much only run CCI SV through my 10/22 and SK Standard Plus through my B14R--I didn't see any difference at all with either of these, other than the SK doesn't gum up the die with wax.

I found an email, so I did send that but I don't have a phone number. Do you have one?
Don't bother sending him an email about the die sets, call him on the phone. When I called him I told him I'd sent a email inquiring about a die set, he told me flat out, "I rarely check email, and even when I do I never respond to emails." 🤣 He's a nice man to talk to though.