• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Walz sizing die

dtdk

Private
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2009
mn in the us
So I ordered a walz 22 sizing die. I have been using it for the last 2 months on my ammo for the bullseye league at my local club.

I can say my groups have tightened up considerably any my scores have gone up by about 20%.

My go to ammo is Aquila standard velocity, so nothing fancy there.

Just thought I would throw this out there for folks who don't like the idea of $15-$20 a box for match ammo.

Basically, you just call him and see if he has any available, if he does you send him a check for $135 or $155 what ever the price plus shipping is and he sends you the die set.

Here is the contact info I used.

Neal Waltz, 4105 Hyatt Avenue N.W., Massillon OH 44646-1435 Telephone: 330-837-4818.

Ignorance showing here...

How can a bullet die improve accuracy/consistency with rimfire?

It's not going to affect the amount or chemistry of the primer/powder.
Not going to change the brass dimensions.
It will change the seating depth, possibly the seating angle.
Could modify overall cartridge length, possibly for the worse, longer jump to the lands.
Not going to change problems with the bullet skirt or heel.
Will it change crimp tension? I don't know. :(

Reactions: RTH1800
It mainly bulges the bullet to a slightly greater diameter and increase the bearing surface on the rifling. Other than that, I all I know is that it has increased the general accuracy potential of $1.79 a box rimfire ammo.

Reactions: Twostep
I wonder how you could verify if it truly works?

Need a testing tunnel and chronograph, then at least 100 cartridges straight from the box
and 100 run through the die. Record mv's and use a one dot one shot target.
Each shot, compare impact location and mv to provide enough data for comparison.
5 or 10 shots just aren't enough to allow a useful conclusion.
Too small a sample size.

Well I haven't done any of that. I can only go by my experience over the last 1000 rounds shot in my league vs the 3000 shot before that.

The 22lr dies have long since been reviewed and placed in the hierarchy. Here's a summation of what has been presented in the past (before snipershide had a rimfire section)

They improve cheap ammo greatly. They don't improve good ammo at all, or at least any improvement is immeasurable.

So the idea is, the dies can help CCI SV quite a lot. ... but it won't do much for your Center-X.

Reactions: dtdk and kevad68
Remember reading something about this a long time back linked at the Cast Boolits site, and here is a 10 year old exhaustive evaluation of three different .22 sizing devices used on bulk, not match, .22lr ammo using a variety of rifles and ammo.

As one would expect, the PacoAcu'Rzr, which allows changing the bullet diameter to match the bore showed the greatest overall improvement in accuracy. Folks with high dollar super precise rifles will probably see different results; there the Walz may work better .
Folks using older production weapons may find it of use.

With regard to all who seek the Light,
Historian

I had the Waltz unit and my goal was to make my CCI SV into HP. It worked great and was a lot of fun learning it. I found it much more productive to just buy CCI SSHP ammo instead. Accuracy seemed better but I have to admit I was trying harder.

Question: Do those of you using the Waltz's die bother to put something like Imperial Sizing Wax on the bullet tips before forming?

Nodak ..... do you happen to still have the dies? Always been interesting in seeing what the hollow points would do to local quarry

I dont. Gave one to a shooting buddy and sold the other one. In my testing on ground squirrels with the HP'd CCI SV they did the same as SSHP.

Good to know.

Use to nip the tile of some rounds to make them into melplats. The snack they gave to rabbits was nuts!

The hollow point is devastating on small game. Its is also significantly louder when it hits. Think of it like a really good slap in the face.

Federal bulk crap. Before and after sizing.

Reactions: Basher
I havent had a problem with copper wash ammo but CCI SV wax gunks things up really quickly. I have to clean the dies often.
I'm using the Drock sizing tool.

I havent had a problem with copper wash ammo but CCI SV wax gunks things up really quickly. I have to clean the dies often.
I'm using the Drock sizing tool.

I haven't had any problem with the wax but house temp. at 72 degrees keeps the wax on the bullets. With CCI SV and die set to 0.125" for the diameter of the flat the OAL is 0.960" to the flat which is the same as Eley ammo the die is designed to emulate.

I haven't had a chance to test at the range do to weather so no accuracy report yet.