• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

want a do it all rifle

mlh29

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2008
Lafargeville, NY 13656
I know this has probably been asked before. This isnt a kid playing with monopoly money and ps3 or whatever.
I am wanting to step away from factory based rifles , sell off most of them and get a custom built. I have a few and am always wishing fora change here or a tweak there.
Currently in the safe locally/ more out of state for compliance
3x rem 700 5r in 308 normal stuff done, various hs stocks, upgraded triggers, bottom metal etc 2 have 4.5x14leupold, 1 has 6.5x20
1 older rem700 pss in308,modded slightly hs pss stock, badger m4, leupold 4.5x14x50 oval mil dots
rem 700 ltr 308 ptg bottommetal, leupold 51850
rem sps 308 with factory installed aac51t, leupold 51850, badger knob band c stock( thiswas put together for a Jeep rifle..
rem 700 pss in 300win mag, hs prec dbm, badger ord rings bases older premier leupold conversion6.5x20x50 lrt with m1 turretsand oval mildots
rem 700 sendero in 338 win mag( stainless with fluted barrel all done in black from remington)( my poor guys lapua) dakota bottom metal leupold optics( vari x 3 european 6.5x20x50 )
rem 700 xcr compact tactical, 223 1x9 ptg tactical bottom metal leupold 4.5x14x50 or mk 4 67940 with a m2 blank dial
socom 16 semi custom( fun but not what Ihad originally hoped for)

various other rifles mostly for hunting in 223,22-250,257rob, 30.06, 308, 7mm08, 30-30,45-70 etc
a few other long range set ups in PA .. rem 700 xcr 338 lapua, rem 700 semi custom in 280, hart barrel, truedbig$$ , barrett 82a1( had since 1997 when they were cheap) win 70( big $$ in 308 to makeit shoot, win70 custom laredo sharpshooter in 300 win mag.. custom work, new barrel etc.. wont ever be sold) some ar 15's ( custom uilds on RRA match upper/lowers, an fn fnar original 30 in heavy with pre mk4 lrt m3 ..

I always end up back at 308 for target/tactical/lr work.. and usually run leupold optics although have tried nightforce, zeiss, and a few others over the years.
I am thinking of :
custom action with 20moa rail built in
manners folding stock with dbm, prefer adj cheekpiece,,
LA or SA... Open to suggestions,keep in mind this may be used for everything from the crow in the back yard, steel, NY white tail, varmints etc.. 260,7mm08, 308, 30.06,280, 284 etc want to keep it under 22" with long barrel life, and simple" read cheap" reloading components and easy on the recoil.. have magnums and although they are useful forcertain purposes this wont need that
barrel,, would like it fluted but really dont want/need much more than sendero contour and it is doubtful I will run a suppressor as I am stuck in NY most of the time
I would like to simplify my reloading bench and just run one basic rifle for my way of precision shooting.
Rings will be badger ord, probably a leupold in a newer flavor mk6 or whatever since all of my mk4 are old school...
already have bipods,, tis slings,pelican cases etc

what would you suggest, I want a known name smith as I do not want stress or headaches as Ihave enough of those already. I will be down sizing to do this( I want to ditch the data book in my reloading room just to keep track of what 308 round goes for which 308) think under 3,000 for rifle done without optics. Imay have some parts for build already.. As proceeds from other toy sales will go to my mortgage before military retirement..
I may even be open for a as new safe queen that someone here has that they are selling to get the latest and greatest. I will be ordering this on my next deployment so I figure a year from idea to rifle on the range.
Thanks in advance

want a do it all rifle

Call Moon at Crescent Customs. He has access to the new EH Manners stocks, one of which I would choose, and did choose, for an all-around rifle build. Ask him what he thinks of the Xtreme Ti actions, as he has built a number of them now, and also my choice for an all-around rifle. Maybe try a No. 4 contour at 21" of rifling, maybe a .298 or .299 bore.

9.5 Lbs with bi-pod and 30P-1. Much less without them:
he4y6u2e.jpg

Last edited:
I think you can find what you want in a Gap or Surgeon I have a Surgeon and buddy has Crusader, both with 22" barrels these are a little heavy but with a different barrel they would be perfect. You Pick

My suggestion would be:

Action: Deviant/BigHorn/Surgeon
Barrel: Bartlein/Rock/Brux/Chanylnn in a Med. Palma Contour finished @ 22" or less
Chamber: .308 or 6.5 Creedmoor
Stock: Manners 90% Carbon fill or the new Enhanced Carbon
Trigger: Timney 510
Bottom Metal: Defiance or PTG if cost is an issue.
Scope: Mk6 is great all around scope and glass is excellent. Length and weight are also very nice.

If weight is a concern I wouldn't go with a folder. However, you can mix and match many of the parts above to come up with an acceptable weight. As Graham mentioned, ask moon about the TI actions to help cut a little more weight and you can go with a folder and still be good.

I recommend the 6.5 Creed because its less recoil for a lighter rifle and extremely accurate. It's ballistically superior to 308 and if you reload 308 already all you need is a new set of dies I believe. The 140 Amax is a great do it all round. It was first and foremost a match round but the ballistics on live game are very impressive.

Good luck and post pics when you are done.

Last edited:
Are you set on 308?

Personally, I think 308 is a fine cartridge, but for a badass do it all "one" rifle, I wouldn't choose it.

I would choose a 6.5 or 7...either a 6.5creed, 7creed, 260 or 708. These will all kill anything a 308 can, while performing WAY better at long range, and giving more options for "smaller" work like prairie dogs or coyotes etc etc.

The Elite hunter stock Graham posted is a nice all around stock. The McMillan HTG is very similar.

I'd recommend keeping the rifle as light as practical...Try for 10lbs max minus optic. A medium palma, or even light palma would serve well.

An integrated pic rail will cost weight, because it will be steel instead of aluminum, so consider that.

The Extreme the titanium action would be a neat choice.

For smith, take your pick. Lots of good ones! I'm partial to Mark @ SAC, but he's not the only guy out there that knows how to build a great (FABULOUS) rifle.

I recently did the same thing. Sold off my other precision guns to buy a desert tactical arms covert. Only weights 11 pounds and IMO is the most versatile well rounded precision rifle on the world. Handles extremely well due to the short barrel and bullpup design. Super accurate. Easily converts to other calibers while using the same scope. I really don't see how it can get much better than a DTA. ONLY downside on my eyes is the cost. Also some people that grew up with traditional rifles just can't get used to the feel of them, but us younger guys can pick up new techniques and learn new things a little better than some of the old minds ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

What's the fun in only having one rifle to do it all?
Can never have too many rifles :)

Damn OP, I was right in there with you, thinking "yeah, a 458 Win Mag"........then finally got to the part about low recoil.

want a do it all rifle

Damn OP, I was right in there with you, thinking "yeah, a 458 Win Mag"........then finally got to the part about low recoil.
The .458 Win Mag is quite manageable with 400gr Barnes soft points at 1650fps. It's also not a bad 300 yard cartridge with 300gr Hornady HPs at 2400fps with WW 748.

RE: want a do it all rifle

You could always build on the 700's little brother the Model 7 like I did. It weighs 12.8 lbs. with this monster 5.5-22x50 NF on it.

Attachments

• photo(8).jpg
    photo(8).jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 18
I think you got plenty of stuff to sell and get a surgeon scalpel in 6.5 creed. that cartridge is about as versatile as it gets. or if you want it a little more custom on barrel profiles moon's your man.george's crew is awesome too,

I did the same thing you are gonna do "mine on smaller scale". sold all my junk and now I got two clone guns. one scalpel 260 and one crescent 243 both exactly identical in a scalpel setup so im never "down" without a gun.they are a lil heavy I admit,but if I miss it def. aint the gun.

good luck and smart thinkin, keep it simple

Funny that no one ever mentions the good ole 30-06 when talking about a good do it all rifle. My step dad has been taking game from yotes to elk, bears, dear, and just about anything else in North America with it all his life. Ammo easy to find, little more oomph than a .308, but less than a .300 win mag. Ya I know it's not some super duper latest and greatest 6mm, 6.5, 7-08, or any other tricked out competition caliber, but ya know what it just works all the time. Isn't that what ya want in an all around rifle?

Funny that no one ever mentions the good ole 30-06 when talking about a good do it all rifle. My step dad has been taking game from yotes to elk, bears, dear, and just about anything else in North America with it all his life. Ammo easy to find, little more oomph than a .308, but less than a .300 win mag. Ya I know it's not some super duper latest and greatest 6mm, 6.5, 7-08, or any other tricked out competition caliber, but ya know what it just works all the time. Isn't that what ya want in an all around rifle?

Agreed. The -06 is talked about enough. It's the perfect hunting caliber for North American large game in my opinion. .308 isn't a bad option either. Really it depends on if you reload. If you don't is say 30-06 and 7mm would be the 2 best choices for a do everything rifle. Possibly .308 if your not hunting moose or bear. Otherwise if you reload you can get into some interesting stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

couple people beat me to it but "do it all rifle" to me says 30-06. a 22" bartlein sendero in a Manners EH-1 would be nice and light enough. short and handy to go hunting with. stock shape lends to good bench shooting with a rear bag. can load it from 30-30 levels with a cast bullet up to 190gr 300WM power levels. can also go to the heavy 200+gr bullets for big game in a bit closer. 30-06 is one of a couple rounds that never sold out during the craze. plenty of people using it in hunting rifles makes for a decent supply of once fired brass out there as well...

I prefer a heavy rifle unless I have to pack it for miles but then I would probably just stay home anyhow. Turbo has it about right though...6.5 or even 7 is pretty amazing

3006 is (obviously) a lovely cartridge, but for a "one" rifle, its too big, IMHO...

Long action = slightly more weight, and certainly a little more cumbersome to use.

208s work GREAT for long range, but pack a lot of recoil - especially from a lightish weight rifle.

Little bullets for the aforementioned "smaller" work on little critters aren't really so little.

Ammo is bigger and heavier.

I loves me a 3006, but its too big for a "one" gun.

Don't forget most Walmarts, meijers and Hicksville hardware stores have 7-08 ammo sitting next to the 308, 3006, 270 and 7mag ammo.

7-08 is a TOUGH act to follow.

I'd say if you want a do all rifle then it can get expensive. I like AI rifles, but for a "do all" rifle I'd get a dta covert, build a rifle like graham, or get an AI. (AI rifle is 3600 non folding in 308 and they shoot lights out, but weigh a whopping 13lbs. To have a lighter rifle you need titanium action, carbon fiber stock, lighter contour barrel (or carbon fiber wrapped barrel but probably out of your budget since their 1k just for the barrel), and maybe lighter base/ rings.

I'm younger than almost everyone on here and I don't know if I'd be able to get use to one of those. Which is unfortunate since I like the change barrel since I don't want 5 different whole rifles to do different things, or to just try a new caliber. I'd probably have like 5 barrel for it if I had one.

One rifle to do it all? Here's my opinion.

If you are weight conscious, tac ops tango-51 .308.

If you can spare a pound or two for the best reliability on the planet, 20" aiae mkIII.

Guys, Thanks
I am not stuck on the 308, just so far that seems like what I always end up with..
I have had others in the past. 260 , 7mm08 and a few others.
I would go with 30.06, actually am part way through a build now on one...
I know the folder add weight.. I would like it to be lighter as some here are ok with a 18lb rifle .. I am not for this purpose.
Lowlight, the 6.5 looks great. I will be looking into it.
Honestly been thinking of a number 5 contour fluted, at about 20-22 for a decent balance between weight and rigidity.

if you guys have a preferred action( this will be the first full custom action) let me know.. prefer stainless , will be ceracoated or similar
THank You

oh and funny you the 458 win mag, I have one that I bought off an older gentleman about 10 years ago that had it for the large whitetail deer neer his hunting camp. Older Model 70 win in about 90% probably has only had 50 rds fired after I put 40 through it.
The recoil is just so I can more easily remain on target and observe as I usually am shooting alone. Just easier to do with less blast and pulse.

My "do-it-all" rifle is a Savage with a McGowen 20" light varmint contour barrel in 260 Remington, standard fill McM A5 with CDI DBM and a 4-16x Vortex HST optic.

I dunno its exact weight, maybe 11ish with optic and mag, but it balances very well and is easy to carry, transport, and climb a tree with. Plus 140s @ 2700fps or 123s @ 2900fps are no slouch at 1000yd.

Same rifle in 7-08 would be awfully nice, as well...only issue I see is availability of bullets.