• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Want experiences from Whiskey 3 Gen 5 owners

wchartz

Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2011
McKenzie, TN
For those who own or have used the above chassis, what are the strengths and weaknesses of this item? I am wanting to build a short action rifle on a Mausenfield action with a barrel nut system. I would be open to other chassis systems but I do not want to go over 4 lbs. in weight.

Interested in the responses as well. My next build will be a 6.5 creedmoor in this chassis and looking forward to see what people think about it. Im looking at the folding version.

i have the W3 gen5. the best thing i like about it is the grip angle, it's just more natural for me. i tried the AR type; mcree, xlr, ruger; and they just don't work for me. the manners was great until i tried the W3. i also like how thin it is in the rear, but it seems to have more felt recoil. i haven't had the time to swap my scoped BA onto my manners and test that theory. the adjustments are quick and simple. they also have a bunch of mounting accessories you can mount a bunch of crap to the chassis if you wanna go full on tacticool retard, or if you are actually going to use the mounts for their intended purpose. if you are accustomed to having a stock pack, it probably wont work. i have tried to get my triad large and small to work, but the packs kinda get in the way and look stupid. their customer service is awesome. i ordered some parts that they felt were not compatible (a CZ455 chassis and their remington 700 long hex bit. i already had the W3 chassis for the remmy for a few months and needed the long hex bit). they took the time to call me and double check to make absolutely sure that is what i needed and i wasn't under the impression that the long hex bit was going to work with the CZ action. they could have just said "eh, whatever" but no, they followed up on what could have been a mistake on my end.

what i don't like:
with a 24" M40 barrel and can, the rifle is front heavy with a lighter scope. but with my pig of a razor gen2, it balances pretty decent. i have yet to try my 20" remmy varmint BA with any kind of scope to see how well it balances. all of the hardware is metric, but with buying a few small hex bits, it's no big deal.

the pros out weigh the cons for me.

the CZ455 now wears a razor gen2.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/8xxUF3D.jpg"}[/IMG2]
[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/OemVsVn.jpg"}[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/eK0qiSp.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Do you have the small or large grip panels and what do you think of the grip panels that you do have?

i have both. ill swap them in and out on my 22 so i don't waste expensive 308 ammo. i liked the large one initially, but i am back to the small and will probably stay that way

Last edited:
We've got 2 W3 gen5's. Really do like them overall.
Couple observations:
I have both small and large grip panels as I have large palms. Large is too big.
Also have the rubber oversided cheek pieces. On my stock the cheek piece has to sit so far back that it runs into the LOP lock screw and doesn't not allow me to undo the screw without first moving the cheekpiece. Interestingly my wife can't run the oversized cheekpiece at all because it puts her face too high.
Fit and finish on the grip where it meets the stock on the top of the grip isn't up to par IMO. It is good everywhere else though.
Really wish that KRG had full length RRS dove tail machined into the front rail. I suspect we'll see that at some point.

Looks like we're going to see a McMillan/TRG rear to a KRG stock.... could be cool.

Not for me. Sent mine back.
One big issue was I was using a scope with a 44mm objective and rings that keep the scope close to the barrel (as we have been taught ) I could not get a normal full view through the scope . I even removed the riser still not low enough. I personally refuse to jack a scope up to use a stock.
I also got the large grip pannels. To big for my 2xl hands. The panel fit to the stock was also not a precision thing.
Maby one day I may try a cadex stock as they ooze quality.

Interesting complaints about the stock. I am keeping my eyes open for ones that pop up in the classifieds.

My only real complaint with the W3 is the bottom stud (correct terminology?) not being secure. What I mean is, where the butt assembly inserts into the rear chassis, the top stud (again terminology?) is secure via the LOP adjustment, the bottom is free floating. With a small amount of movement. My groups tightened up a bit after having a set screw machined in. Not really a big concern, but an area for some small improvement. Full disclosure: the rifle this chassis is in, is my FIL's. I assembled it for him when he got the long range precision itch, and have spent a fair amount of time behind it.

I had a X-ray. Similar angles and could not get comfortable on my shooting hand. It's a wanna be thumbhole. It felt awkward for me. I personally take a liking to AR type butt stocks. Adjusting LOP quickly for various positions. Prone and kneeling are two extremes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 2 whiskey 3 chassis but they aren't gen 5's. They are the most comfortable chassis I have used, my only complaint is I can't afford them on every rifle.

I love mine it is comfortable and I have had no problems with it at all. I got one of the first ones out I think and everyone that gets behind my rifle likes it. The only thing that I have a problem with is if you use magpul mags they will not feed reliably

I only have Magpul mags that I use with my W3 gen5 remmy inlet. I only have a few hundred rounds on the chassis with the Magpuls though.

What gen is yours?

Last edited:
This thread is exactly why YOU need to get behind a chassis and see it it works for YOU. Most chassis have a love/hate relationship with shooters. What one shooter finds ergonomically comfortable another complains about. For me, the Whiskeys feel right but they're not going to be for everyone.

It depends how you setup your rifle. I found mine was front heavy with 27" MTU bbl.

I had one, wasnt a gen 5 though. It was definitely front heavy with a 24" M24 profile barrel. It was a very comfortable chassis. I sold the whole rifle or I would still have it. I want to try an XLR Element or MPA Chassis, they look a little lighter.

Our chassis are among the lightest available. Any time you put a light chassis, or a light Manners carbon fiber stock, etc. on a rifle with a huge barrel out front you're going to have improper balance. A heavy chassis will restore this balance somewhat although you pay the penalty of carrying a lead brick around.

We recommend no larger than a Remington Varmint contour or Sako TRG contour which are fairly similar in weight. Some people just have their own reasons for wanting a very heavy barrel and that's fine but if you put it in a light stock of any kind the whole rifle will be front heavy. For accuracy/precision sake you're really not gaining any performance with the type of shooting we do (not benchrest).

Another thing I'd like to point out is that we try to steer shooters to the same-side-thumb grip, not a wrap around like you'd shoot a carbine gas gun. Shooting this way, even guys with small hands can use the large grips but of course each person is different and should do what works for them. We can only take the ergonomics so far and then the shooter has to take it that extra bit to get a perfect fit. We encourage guys to grind on the chassis, add tape or texture, etc until it fits them exactly how they want.

Thank you all for your business, we appreciate it and hopefully we're showing you good product support in terms of help and also accessory items.
Justin

Reactions: chainring
Another thing I'd like to point out is that we try to steer shooters to the same-side-thumb grip, not a wrap around like you'd shoot a carbine gas gun. Shooting this way, even guys with small hands can use the large grips but of course each person is different and should do what works for them

I found this to improve my shooting not only with your chassis but others as well. The KRG just happens to have a nice little shelf that makes it very comfortable to hold that way.

I own two W3 chassis. I fell in love with the grip angle almost immediately after being skeptical. It's light and it works very well for the PRS matches I shoot. I'm looking forward to the arca Swiss mounting assembly that they have previewed on social media. That will be a nice upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love my W3 chassis. The only complaint I have is with the front lower rail, the one included in my kit was/is plastic.

I use a Badger Ord tramp mount for my bipod and the plastic rail just doesn't work well. All of my other rifles have metal front rails and the tramp works great with them.

I have found the grip angle/size is great. If you have big hands the KRG gives you excellent clearance at the junction of the top front of the grip and the bottom rear of the
trigger guard. Look at the KRG from a side view and then compare it to something like the new Cadex and it will be completely obvious what I am talking about.

And yes it is Right or Wrong with most people when it comes to a chassis system. For me this one is Right.