• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

want some input

thatguy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2009
New Jersey
i asked this on another forum. and before you guys kill me, let me know if this has been covered before, and ill read through the other articles.

my question is this(dont bust my balls too hard on the equipment, and i cant post pics on a government computer)

will this be able to put ANY(or just hit the paper) kind of grouping out to 600M?

started life as a rem700 SPS-V .223
hs precision stock
worked xmark trigger-4.0LBS even
full steel bed
heavy varmint barrel 1-14 twist
harris bipod(swivel type)
TIS quick cuff sling
Counter Sniper 3-12X50 mil-dots (this is the one i dont want you to bust me about)
using black hills ammunition 40GR V-max

no range finder, no spotting scope.

Re: want some input

As long as you use decent ammo and have half a clue how to shoot, it should work fine.

Now prepare for the shit storm...

i know, im just waiting for it. and anyway, its my equipment, im not gonna let all you guys who can afford those night forces and other high end scopes to get me down. but the scope has worked fine for me so far(approx. 1 year or more).

oh, keep in mind also. im shooting known distance, maybe steel, maybe balloons. no pop ups, just paper. im a member of a shooting team my unit put together. mainly reloading, but we get to put in some range time(soon). ive never shot past 300M, and never past 200M with this setup.

So how does it do at 200? It should keep a similar MOA except for weather conditions. Just my opinion, but I think you really need to get skilled at reading the wind and conditions for .223 to group well at distance. It'll get there, it's just small and light. FWIW

it'll hold about 1.5-2 inch groups at 200. so about .75-1MOA. im actually looking into a new barrel, 1-7 or 1-8 to cram some heavier rounds down the tube. 40's are great for velocity, and accuracy at short range, but they dont hold up well(from what i read) out to those ranges. and i refuse, absolutley refuse to buy a .308. not for any real reasons, just out of spite. sticking with my .223.

To tell you the truth I love .223 too. I just haven't broken down and bought a bolt gun in that caliber yet. I've shot some heavy-barreled .223's and they're wonderful! They don't kick at all so re-acquiring your target is easier and they get there just as fast if not faster than .308. Oh, there's nothing not to like about .223 IMO

get yourself a heavy barrel .223 bolt gun, and theres still no recoil. but the first rifle i bought and shot and sold was a remington 770 .30-06. so anything with less recoil than that is more than manageable. and from what i recall, most .308's are soaring at 2900+/-FPS. my .223 with the 40GR V-Max's are screaming at 3600FPS. i had it chronographed just to prove my point one day. so yes, the .223's get there faster.

I had a heavy-barreled .243 and was happy with its performance but .243 isn't a Military round and I just have this stigma about shooting non-military ammo. It's a personal wierdness I have.

theres lots of people like that. im not one, i bought the rifle as a "look, SHINY" kinda thing. it was on the shelf, i wanted another .30-06, they didnt have a rem700's in that chambering. and i wasnt walking out empty handed. but like i said, i might get it rebarreled to a 1-9 or faster twist. 1-14 is pissing me off a little now.

but anyway. back to my question, anyone have any experience with this(or a similar) setup? out past 400M?

Those 40 grainers are gonna be blowing in the wind alot at 600Y. Shoot the heaviest bullet that your barrel will stabilize for long range work.Ballistic Coefficient is king at distance.

Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As long as you use decent ammo and have half a clue how to shoot, it should work fine.

Now prepare for the shit storm... </div></div>

I missed the 1 in 14. Good luck with that. I've never tried a 52 grainer at 600, because they sucked balls at 300.

My guess is that you will have very little luck unless the range is indoors
smile.gif

Where are you shooting 600 in NJ?

my commander has his rangemaster certification. we're gonna be signing out the shorter crew serve weapon range. the longer is 800M. here in beautiful mid-south jersey. it wont take a rocket scientist to figure out what base im at.

and yes, i know about the 1-14 twist, it sucks lots of balls. and took me the better part of 4 months to find factory ammo that it liked. and before you tear me down about not reloading, i dont have the damn time. nor do i have the money or patience. i have an 8 month old son, a dog, and a fiance.

Wait you have money to buy factory ammo but not reload? I started reloading 223 for less than 100 bux, got a lee classic kit and a set of 223 dies, scrounged brass from the range and brass I had shot.

I have hit out to 400 with the Win factory 46gr HP 223 value packs, and would consistantly hit 500 with 69 SMK's out of a 24" colt Elite

what i mean by not having money is the initial investment to get into it. as in i dont have shit for reloading. and i cant really shell out the 400-600 smackers for the setup right now. also, space and places to put it are limited. we live in a small single bedroom apartment in south jersey. space for anything is limited. and when i buy things, i kinda like them to be top notch. and im gonna cut you off, the counter sniper was kinda "i want to see if i like it". if i didnt, i was going to return it and buy a leupold. and so far, i like the counter sniper.

Make sure your scope is mounted correctly with SOLID rings. Afterwards, run through basic bore sighting routines. I know you don't want to be grinded on the scope, but if you ever want to look for cost effective upgrades, you can buy used / demo model / dealer sample units from SWFA at pretty good prices. Go to www.swfa.com, and go to the Sample List link (http://www.samplelist.com). The list changes almost daily, so just keep an eye on whats there. Best of luck.

i was saying the thing about the scope kinda as a joke. i know theres people on here that are going to do it anyway. i wont cry, too much. but im always keeping my eyes open for different gear. this is the 3rd scope this rifle has had. but like i said, so far i like it. and also, i know my rifles sighted in, it shoots just fine out to 200M, but thats really not the focus. i really want to know about the capability of the round. im pretty sure that if i can see what i want to shoot and my bullet has the right ballistics, it will get there. now, if i need to change my barrel i will. not by myself though, heard rems are very very touchy with head spacing and other such things im not familiar with. so off to the gunsmith for that.

Send it in to get a new barrel on it, just a few bills, make sure you get a 1:7 or 1:8 and you will be fine

thats probably my only option. im not really into changing anything else right now. thanks for all the input.

The few of those Counter Sniper scopes I've handled have been pretty decent.... nothing to write home about, but decent. It's their advertising that is totally lame!

i know, i didnt even see them advertised till after i bought mine. i was at the gun shop looking for another leupold, and the guy told me he had nothing with mil-dots(leupold wise). then he showed me the countersniper, i ordered the one i wanted, it came in early(he quoted 2 weeks, 8 days later its at the shop). for much less than what i would have paid for a leupold, its pretty nice. and its not like my life depends on my scope. if it goes down, i grab for my levergun and keep having a fun day. all i have to do is go home and put a different scope on it and re-zero.

but yeah, after i saw the advertising, i was having second thoughts, then i took it out, put it through the tests, and so far so good.

speaking of, what do you guys really have against the Counter Sniper scopes, for the average guy? other than their name and lack of a 1700+ price tag?

They could be the best scope money can buy,but there claim to fame on their advertising is a out and out lie.us milatary overruns,what a bunch of shit.
If they will lie in there advertising they will lie about the quality of there scopes.(ask me how i know)

I have a Howa 1500with a standard barrel on it, so I guess it's a 1:12. However, it WILL shoot 60gn flat base v-max bullets way better than it has any right to. You might want to try them. ANY flat base bullet is going to be shorter for the weight, so try the heaviest flat base you can. Yes, you'll lose a bit in BC, but everything is a trade off isn't it?
Hope this helps.
Neil

i have no idea who actually makes it, but the writing on the scope "said" theyre made in rochester new york. no idea how true that is, but in the end, i kept it. yeah, its not as clear as my leupold, but i also didnt pay 600 bucks for it. and the leupold didnt have the tall turrets i was looking for, nor did it have mil dots. the counter sniper did. i think i made out for how little i paid for it.