• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Want to build (or send to have built) a MDT ESS. I have no idea where to start. Help me please

Hoody2shoes

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 10, 2020
So many options and my experience is very limited. I'd like to stick with short action like 6.5cm since I've already got mags, ammo, and all the other things needed for it. I'm looking for solid mid options on barrels and what not. I'll put some solid money into it for sure but I'm not interested in dropping 5k plus on just the rifle itself.

Help guide me through actions, barrels, etc

I played with the idea of doing a shorter 16-18" in 6.5-I don't get opportunities to shoot past 1000 ever.

Any good shops you guys would recommend to have it sent to for assembly?

TIA!

The ESS chassis has a few options for length of hand guard and folding rear stock. Folding stocks are great for cleaning and transport, well worth the upgrade.

18” 6.5 creed still has pretty good performance and shorter overall length can be handy.

If you’re trying to stay on a budget, I would look into the Zermatt Origin or ARC Coupe de grace actions, and pick a Pre-fit from someone like PVA. Grab a triggertech special and a brake that you’re set.

Reactions: Hoody2shoes
If it were me, I'd probably buy a barreled action from Patriot Valley Arms and then order the MDT ESS from MDT and then buy the trigger of your choice. Should turn out well and be under budget.

In my case, I put a couple of Tikka barreled actions in MDT ACC chassis and am very happy with them.

Reactions: Hoody2shoes
Depends on what you want to do with the rifle? Walking around rifle: medium or light Palma contour at 18-22”

Strictly steel/ targets: 26” MTU or M24
More cross over stuff which is why I was leaning shorter.

Last edited:
Besides pva, who makes a good tikka prefit? The solus is rem 700 I believe. And pva's limited on tikka prefit options. Just looking at options