• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Want to buy a new scope? Sightron, Athlon, Burris XTR II?

Big Bo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 7, 2005
Cal West
Bought a 6.5CM, and I want to put glass on it. I and looking at buying a Sightron SIII, Athlon Ares 4-27x50, or a Burris XTR II. I want good glass, repeatable turrets, and trying to stay at the $1000 mark. Was considering the Nikon Black or Sig. Which has the best glass, and tracks consistantly?

Bo, your title makes us think you're selling a scope. "Want to buy a new scope?"

I'd definitely take a look at a used SWFA HD 5-20 in that price range if you don't absolutely need illumination or zero stops. It is missing some features compared to the other scopes, but the build quality and optical quality in the price range is head and shoulders above the rest. Tracking on mine has been spot on.

Burris XTR II 4-20 wouldn't be a bad option though if you're dead set on buying new and staying under $1000. I'd personally skip over the Ares, and I wouldn't consider an XTR II 5-25. Neither have optical quality that justifies the price IMHO.

The Nikon Black series would be my 3rd choice, and I believe they would be very adequate for your needs. I've heard the Sig models are good, but I have not seen one in person.

I like my XTR2 4-20.
I have 850$ shipped from Sport optics. It’s the non illuminated version, and at 850$ shipped I couldn’t find a better scope for the money.
On another note, 1000$ in the used market can go pretty far.

The Athlon Ares has pretty good glass for its price point. Almost as good as the sightron, that IMHO has at least as good of glass as the SWFA 5-20, which has slid from really good glass at its price point to average or maybe below, with the introduction of the TX5i, and DMRII. The best reputation for mechanic in the bunch you mention is the Burris. My Ares 4.5-27 tracked properly, it was pretty impressive at the price. I didn't run it for long, I moved it out for a Cronus.

My suggestion: https://www.natchezss.com/weaver-su...llum-enhanced-mil-dot-reticle-emdr-matte.html

Those are my go-to optics when I don't have the budget/need on a particular build to go with a $1500+ dollar optic. $600 is a stellar deal for a FFP optic with the performance and quality offered by the Weaver. The only thing it's really missing is a zero-stop... additionally, the EMDR reticle isn't the latest or greatest, but it's absolutely usable.

Reactions: Gohring65
I had 3 Athlon scopes to play with. The lowest end BTR FFP is the same as the $250 Primary Arms with a nicer reticle. The turrets are mush.. so much so I didn’t even test the tracking.

The Athlon Ares 4-27x50, has much more distortion and way to thick of a reticle when compared to the 5-25 Vortex Gen II PST, turret feel is also better on the Vortex in the same price range. The Night Force SHV F1 seems similar to the GenII PST, but I didn’t care for the thick Mil-R and extra $ over the PST puts it just outside your price range anyway. These scopes all were used because they could focus at 25yards or lower for a 22 trainer. The overall goal for the 22 is to have the working range of the parallax/focus for the matches ranges I’ll shoot, 22NRL starts often st 25 yards.

If 50 yard parallax is no big deal, then the XTRII and the turrets are nice, the glass maybe a bit better than the Bushnell ERS (not gen II).

I din’t have the sighthorn. The only ones I’ve seen have lots of magnification but are dark. That might be because I was in an S&B or older USO 35mm. I did not know.

You asked and all you asked - Which has the best glass, and tracks consistantly?

Glass really should not be your first priority- in the sub 2k market and might be one of the last questions I’d ask.

I am not saying these will not work, just that you should prioritize based on other things than the glass.

For instance, my 22 trainer, needed to 1st focus down to 25 yards, be FFP, have a reticle that I could work quickly behind, turrets needed to feel good and easily used (I could always map them). Internal elevation and FOV were not of a huge concern, but generally on the other rifles it will be on top of my list for either a long range system or a short range hunter.

My point is, maybe rethink what you really need before you worry about “the glass”.

What does one do with a Sighthorn that only has 4’-16’ FOV at 100? fine for paper but not much else.

You can have Hensold clear scope, but if you don’t have the elevation shoot your target does it matter?

Last edited:
Bought a 6.5CM, and I want to put glass on it. I and looking at buying a Sightron SIII, Athlon Ares 4-27x50, or a Burris XTR II. I want good glass, repeatable turrets, and trying to stay at the $1000 mark. Was considering the Nikon Black or Sig. Which has the best glass, and tracks consistantly?

Both the Burris XTRII and the Tango 4 have been consistent performers for us.

Gimme a call or drop me a pm if you have some specific questions.

The Athlon Ares has pretty good glass for its price point. Almost as good as the sightron, that IMHO has at least as good of glass as the SWFA 5-20, which has slid from really good glass at its price point to average or maybe below, with the introduction of the TX5i, and DMRII. The best reputation for mechanic in the bunch you mention is the Burris. My Ares 4.5-27 tracked properly, it was pretty impressive at the price. I didn't run it for long, I moved it out for a Cronus.

Yes, the two Ares BTR's I've been behind had very good glass in them too!, the 4.5-27x50 being a great example and a tad better than my Ares 2.5-15. In my review I compared it to the SWFA 3-15 and the Bushnell LRHS 3-12/ which has a reputation for having the some of the highest rated glass in it's price range, my Ares rated almost LRHS glass!

The 2.5-15 tracked perfectly to 800Y which is as far as I used it being mounted on a 15" AR.

I could point out things I don't like about each brand, especially reticles, the Ares wins out overall to me. Been a slow winter but as soon as I can I'm buying a Ares BTR 4.5-27x50!

As far as the reticle in the Ares 4.5-27, it's .04 mil thick so it's IMO the perfect size for versatility! The hashes going back and forth make the reticle much easier to see at medium to low magnification which is the most sensible idea to make a reticle usable both at high and low mag around. No line numbers just off to the side of the vertical crosshair to obscure a holdover/holdoff either!!!

We've seen great success with the Athlon Ares BTR. The feedback has been great stating quality value in features, optical quality and overall performance. For the price it is a difficult scope to best.
We'd be glad to assist you, if you have a few moments please give us a call, 516-217-1000.

Yes, the two Ares BTR's I've been behind had very good glass in them too!, the 4.5-27x50 being a great example and a tad better than my Ares 2.5-15. In my review I compared it to the SWFA 3-15 and the Bushnell LRHS 3-12/ which has a reputation for having the some of the highest rated glass in it's price range, my Ares rated almost LRHS glass!

The 2.5-15 tracked perfectly to 800Y which is as far as I used it being mounted on a 15" AR.

I could point out things I don't like about each brand, especially reticles, the Ares wins out overall to me. Been a slow winter but as soon as I can I'm buying a Ares BTR 4.5-27x50!

As far as the reticle in the Ares 4.5-27, it's .04 mil thick so it's IMO the perfect size for versatility! The hashes going back and forth make the reticle much easier to see at medium to low magnification which is the most sensible idea to make a reticle usable both at high and low mag around. No line numbers just off to the side of the vertical crosshair to obscure a holdover/holdoff either!!!

Thats pretty much what I thought as well. I only had 1 Ares BTR, but right there with the LRHS in glass quality. I could pick things about them all I don't like.

Reactions: steve123
The Sightron SIII has very good glass and tracks awesome from my experience. A very popular scope in F-class shooting for these reasons and low price. It lacks when it comes to tactical features though, no zero stop, sub-optimal field of view and stupid windage turret markings. But for target shooting it is great.

I prefer the Burris XTRII though, not as good glass but more than good enough and everything else is better vs the SIII.

The XTR II is always a solid contender at this price point. Four years on the market now and a solid reputation for performance and durability.

I see tons of these out there these days at PRS matches, and I've yet to meet anyone who has anything but good things to say about them.

Reactions: Gohring65
If I were you I would get the XTR 2 if you are happy with the reticle selection? Burris has $200 off right now so they are a good deal right now especially. I sold mine and wish I hadn’t. I will be getting another for a beater scope before long. They offer everything I think I “need” in a riflescope especially at the price point. Tracking is great and glass is good enough in my opinion, Glass is the weakest point of the XTR 2 imo.

Reactions: Diver160651
In terms of optical quality, your best bet at around $1k is Vortex PST Gen 2 5-25x50.

In terms of track record, Burris XTR II 4-20x50 has been around longer, so it is a very known quality.

In terms of price, Ares BTR 4.5-27x50 is the least expensive of these and the one I have works well. That having been said, there is a reason PST Gen 2 is more expensive and, optically, it is notably better.

As always, make sure you look at the reticles carefully to see what works for you. My biggest complaint with XTR II is lack of non-Horus Christmas tree reticle.

ILya

Reactions: Diver160651