• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Want to buy a USO.....need help

srtsam

Paul
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Mar 1, 2008
    West TN
    Okay i should a GAP Crusader in a month or so. Its .308 and I would like to think I could reach to 1000 yards. Realistically, this is doubtful. probably 300-600 yards will be my range. Going through US Optic's website, I'm not real sure which way to go. I like the ERK knob, lit mil dot reticle other than that??? any advice???

Re: Want to buy a USO.....need help

Us optics scope are a scope to go with. A friend of mine just got his last month and I got the chance to look through it and it clear as a bell. But be ready to wait about 4 to 6 months for there back order. There pretty backed up

yeah I have been lurking here awhile and finally plunked down some cash for a Gap now I need a USO for atop. I have a TRG-22 with 5.5-22 x56 Nightforce on it. I also had the 2.5-10 x 24 on my n-4 before i replaced it with the Trijicon Acog. I'll be posting both of these for sale soon enough.
    Can't wait for the USO. Which one MAN!!!!!

If it were mine I would probably do an SN3 with metric knobs and a mil reticle, EREK is a useful option but I would not do the ERGO or TPAL unless you get a scope that runs above 10x.

The 1.8-10x37 is a good all around scope, IMO you don't really need the larger 44mm objective as it just adds bulk and will need to sit a little higher on the rifle. If you do want a 3.2-17x or the 3.8-22x scope then you will want to have the adjustable parallax, some like the TPAL since it is easier to use and some prefer the ergo since it is a less complex setup internally. Either of the higher power range SN3 can be had in 44mm or IIRC a 58mm objective-get the 44mm. I had an SN3 for a while with all the bells and whistles on it, I never used the illumination and it is an expensive option. Some order the scope with the illumination turret housing minus the illum feature so that it can be added later if necessary.

Remember these are heavy scopes, and large/long in the higher power range version. If you plan to use the rifle only on the bench at the range then the physical size and weight should not make a difference, if you need to carry the rifle around much it will.

I have an SN-3 "Canadian" (3.5-17x) that has 44 mm objective, side focus, 34mm tube, lit reticle, and EREK elevation knob. Reticle and knobs are mils all around.

I like mils, and knobs matching the reticle makes good sense to me. I never use the lit reticle, and the windage knob is a set-once-and-forget feature for me. I dial elevation and hold windage.

My next scope will forgo the lit reticle and have a cap on the windage. Not that the windage knob is prone to moving, but I like the extra security.

Not sure what the elevation range is for standard 30 mm tube versus 34 mm. I have (I think) 18 mils of elevation.

Scott

3.2-17x ERGO with US#3 elevation, or EREK, GAP reticle over the mil-dot.

Oh yeah, 58mm obj., don't be a pussy....
    grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: srt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Okay i should a GAP Crusader in a month or so. Its .308 and I would like to think I could reach to 1000 yards. Realistically, this is doubtful. probably 300-600 yards will be my range. Going through US Optic's website, I'm not real sure which way to go. I like the ERK knob, lit mil dot reticle other than that??? any advice??? </div></div>

Are you doubting your ability to get to 1000 yards, or the rifles? The Crusader will have zero problems getting there assuming you feed it the right ammo...

I never use the illumination when range shooting, but like to have it for 2 reasons. Hunting and resale. I have lost my reticle before while trying to take a shot on a deer at the end of shooting light. Very frustrating feeling and I vowed to never have it happen again. The illuminated scopes are much easier to resell.

Personally I prefer the TPal, just because they are much easier, IMO, to adjust than reaching all the way to the front.

USO's make great optics and you will be happy with it.

Are you doubting your ability to get to 1000 yards, or the rifles? The Crusader will have zero problems getting there assuming you feed it the right ammo...
    [/quote]

Hell, I'm buying the rifle because IT can. LOL. I am doubting both MY ability shoot that far as well as place to do it with!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">3.2-17x ERGO with US#3 elevation, or EREK, GAP reticle over the mil-dot.

Oh yeah, 58mm obj., don't be a pussy....
    grin.gif
    </div></div>
    +1 I have this scope with the 44mm obj and it's awesome (MPR reticle would be another good option)
    I just got the same in a 1.8 -10 x 37... you wouldn't be disappointed with that either...

58mm is overkill and unless you are making a "mile shooter" the height you'd need for your cheekweld would be tough, if you are going with the standard A5 on the Crusaders.
    I'd recommend a GAP or MPR mil scale, as half mil holds are handy, and the reticle isn't as busy looking through the scope as it is on paper.
    Erek would be the way to go if you are getting a USO (if only for resale, but one blown shot from being a revolution off will make you a believer in the need for zero stop capability, trust me).
    I prefer the ERGO to the TPAL as its less lenses, but in all honesty the USO's I've had can be tricky to get clearly focused at 100yds.
    34mm maintube is another feature you may want to consider.
    Reticle illumination-many disagree on this, but I consider it a must, esp if you are dropping the kind of money that we do when we get USO's. I won't be without it in the future. As said before, at least ask them to use a turret housing it can be added to later even if you don't think you need it now.
    Another cool thing that you can only do with USO is have the windage put on your left side. Easy to get to without breaking position and way high on the CDI factor.

My $.02, and its probably only worth that.......

+1 on the left windage.....
    it's a small thing, but I can see mine without removing my eye from the scope.....
    The ERGO is harder to adjust while prone, but doable....

I have the Horus ret in my TPAL and like the fact that you confirm your ranges and dont worry about dialing up or wind. I know I am not the only one that has taken their gun out and shot it and said how can I be that off only to see that I forgot to return to zero. Anyway you go USO is topshelf. I also use the iphone ballistic software and it rocks when used together.

Basically what everyone has said so far sounds good to me, if you doubt you'll go out to 1000 but its still a possibility go with the sn-3 3.2-17x, perfect for 300-600 yards and will work for out to 1000 yards.

I regularly shoot 308 at 1000 yards. I have owned an FN-A5 with US Optics SN3-2200, a 3.8-22X magnification scope rated to 2000 yards. I recently upgraded my rifle and optics to the AI/AE with Hensoldt (Zeiss Military) 4-16X 56mm FF scope. While the magnification of the Zeiss is less than that of the US optics, the image quality is far superior, and more than adequate for 1000 yard shooting. This is not to say the US Optics scope is not a quality scope, it is a fine scope, but the clarity and brightness of the Zeiss is significant and noticeable to anyone looking through both scopes. Hensoldt is coming out with a 5-25X version of this scope next year, which I will put on a 338 Lapua AI/AW for shooting beyond 1000 yards.

I think the bigger challenge at shooting predictably and consistently at 1000 yards is finding the right load. I am still searching for the right combination for my rifle. At 500 yards and less, 168g Black Hills and Federal GMM have performed flawlessly. I am able to hit clay pigeons at will inside 500 yards. I am still looking for a reliable load for my setup at 1000 yards. I have used 175g and 190g rounds with mixed results. This weekend I shot a 3 round 7.25" group at 1000 yards using 175g Black Hills, but I could not repeat it. I seam to be able to place rounds within a 12" square about 40% of the time. The remaining rounds range as far as 3 feet around the target.

I don't have any data between 500 and 1000 yards because my range doesn't have shooting positions at those distances.

Needless to say, the Hensoldt was not my issue, I could clearly see the 12"x12" sight-in-target, even with the heavy mirage of a 95 degree Texas day. I think the US Optics will work well, but you may want to research the Hensoldt before pulling the trigger.

US Optics SSDS here. I can say that I am well pleased with my rifle scope. I was shooting @ 525 yards Friday with BansheeSWS. Very heavy mirage. After hitting the target and discussing the conditions, I told Banshee, "look there, I never changed the focus from where we were shooting 100 yards."
    I dont mind the Ergo adjust. I am going to look at a bikini type cover instead of BC caps though. 550 cord the bikini cover to the scope and you will be ok.

Just my .02