• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Want to join the 7mm club

Kickin45

Deaf dumb and blind
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 7, 2018
    I’m ready to jump headlong into the 7mm game.
    Action is not an issue as it’s going in a Desert Tech. I want to shoot heavy for cal projectiles.
    Nothing lighter than 180’s. Preferably 195 and heavier. Use is long range target. Barrel will be 26”-28” and suppressed.

I’ve been doing a lot of research and I’ve narrowed it down to three 7’s

7PRC
    7 SAUM
    7 WSM

My initial build was definitely the PRC, but after doing some long range shooting the other day with my 300wm, I couldn’t spot my splashes because of recoil. The 7PRC and 300wm are pretty close in recoil, so now I’m thinking PRC may not be the best path as I don’t always have a spotter to assist me.

7 saum is VERY difficult to find ammo and seems to be getting fazed out even though it sounds like a spectacular round. Light recoil, great performance, can load heavies.

7 wsm. Been reading a lot and on both the saum and wsm, I’m getting a lot of conflicting info. Such as which is the better performer, which handles heavy bullets better etc etc.

I don’t hand load at the moment, but I will once I choose my caliber.

I could definitely use some input from the 7 guys here. Pros, cons, what’s possible and what isn’t.

personally I am collecting items to start reloading 7 saum primers , powder , and brass so when I get mine I should not have such a hard time with ammo .

You don't want a 7 PRC because of recoil but you're set on only shooting 180gr +?

I wouldn't over analyze it honestly. There are lots of good bullet options, get a generic freebore and load a bullet at a velocity that does what you need. If it kicks too much, try a different bullet.

I’m ready to jump headlong into the 7mm game.
    Action is not an issue as it’s going in a Desert Tech. I want to shoot heavy for cal projectiles.
    Nothing lighter than 180’s. Preferably 195 and heavier. Use is long range target. Barrel will be 26”-28” and suppressed.

I’ve been doing a lot of research and I’ve narrowed it down to three 7’s

7PRC
    7 SAUM
    7 WSM

My initial build was definitely the PRC, but after doing some long range shooting the other day with my 300wm, I couldn’t spot my splashes because of recoil. The 7PRC and 300wm are pretty close in recoil, so now I’m thinking PRC may not be the best path as I don’t always have a spotter to assist me.

7 saum is VERY difficult to find ammo and seems to be getting fazed out even though it sounds like a spectacular round. Light recoil, great performance, can load heavies.

7 wsm. Been reading a lot and on both the saum and wsm, I’m getting a lot of conflicting info. Such as which is the better performer, which handles heavy bullets better etc etc.

I could definitely use some input from the 7 guys here. Pros, cons, what’s possible and what isn’t.
    7mm PRC all day if you're new to getting into the 7mm magnum game. Especially if pushing Berger 195 Elites.

personally I am collecting items to start reloading 7 saum primers , powder , and brass so when I get mine I should not have such a hard time with ammo .
    I already have everything for 7mm PRC except the gun. 😂 Brass, dies, and as a lifelong 7mm shooter, I already had the primers, powder, and bullets on-hand.

7WSM is a bitch to match find ammo for, I’ve never seen 7SAUM on the shelf although Copper Creek or other boutique places may load for those. So if not handloading PRC is probably your best option.

If you don't reload 7mm PRC is the clear choice between those 3. I can't remember the last time I saw 7mm WSM or SAUM on a store shelf. 7mm PRC has the might of the Hornady marketing machine behind it, so it will be far and away easier to find ammo for. I don't say that as a hater - I want to try one myself eventually.

If you don't reload 7mm PRC is the clear choice between those 3. I can't remember the last time I saw 7mm WSM or SAUM on a store shelf. 7mm PRC has the might of the Hornady marketing machine behind it, so it will be far and away easier to find ammo for. I don't say that as a hater - I want to try one myself eventually.
    When's the last time you've seen anything loaded witg a 7mm 195gr berger? I'm pretty sure he's reloading.

But you're right. If you're going with a long action, might as well use it and do the 7 PRC.

If you are unable to spot your own hits with a 300WM at anything beyond about 300 yards, you are not set up behind the rifle very good.
    That is very accurate. I had to lay awkwardly across a plastic pop up table because of strong winds. Even with my 200lbs on it, it lifted now and again, so you’re correct. My positioning behind the rifle was probably not the best.

Most definitely, you need to work on your fundamentals. Not a dig on you, just a reality. Shooting magnum or near magnum cartridges with heavier bullets requires good technique. You also need a decent setup to do so.

If you have a truck, use the bed of the truck for height and stability. Shooting bent over on a plastic folding table can be done, but unless you already have well developed fundamentals, it will create issues.

Find some place where you can practice the fundamentals and dry fire to get used to it. You should never have to miss seeing impacts due to recoil.

Reactions: FredHammer

Well if you’re going to handload it then why not something improved like a 7 Sherman Max?

Otherwise, I tend to agree with the 7PRC as the easy button

My plan is a 7 Sherman Short next year.

I run a 284 as an fclass rifle. Obviously not what you’re looking for

However the 7prc is gaining some traction. With Hornady marketing behind the cartridge it has the potential over the others to become very popular. Thus making quality brass and what not affordable and most importantly available in the future

Nothing worse than investing into a cartridge you have to fight to find components for (mainly talking the brass in this case)

You can always add some weight to the forend to help control the muzzle. Or back the magnification off a bit

I will now summon the inner heathen,

But a brake will control muzzle rise much better than a can on the bigger cartridges if self spotting is your goal

Or just get a 6.5 CM and your boyfriend can stay home while you self spot….😁👍

Why no love for 280 AI?

Too light for caliber? I’m admittedly a novice, but it shoots real nice for me…only had it out to 600 yards so far though.

i-QTPhGbp-4K.jpg

Why no love for 280 AI?

Too light for caliber? I’m admittedly a novice, but it shoots real nice for me…only had it out to 600 yards so far though.
    I love my 24" Christensen Arms Ridgeline .280 Ackley. I'll be taking it hunting this year for sure.

tempImage8Uac9B.png
    tempImagegYkSB4.png
    OUGD2498.jpg

Reactions: 91Eunozs
    Why no love for 280 AI?

Absolutely nothing wrong with the 280 and the AI version is the shit.
    I have a Kimber Mountain Ascent (The rifle is a POS) that I FINALLY figured out a round for. It shoots the SGK 175's about 2700 fps (I don't have that card right in front of me) and is accurate for repeated shots as long as you give the #2 Dixon Ticonderoga profile barrel a minimum of 5 minutes between shots. It's lightweight for sure. It mostly just sits in the safe because it's just not all it was cracked up to be.
    I have a tuned up 700 in 280 Ackley that I had cut for the 140 grain Berger VLD. Talk about the fucking shit! The 140's leave at 3250 fps. Of course, I'm handloading, but you can just barely get that same performance from the 7 Rem Mag with LOTS more powder and the stupid belted case. This is my go to rifle for deer and the coyotes hate it too. I have a Swarovski SFP scope on it to help keep it light. I have it zeroed at 275 yards and the scope doped at min, median and max zooms. I've taken a coyote at 850 yards. It did take 2 shots and I have no idea where the first round went but that dog didn't seem to notice either. It's lethal and I love it.

I am leaning toward my original choice if the 7PRC. Your thoughts on popularity and longevity of the cartridge are well made.
    My curiosity is very strong for the saum, but that could become difficult to acquire needed parts for reloading.

The Sico Omega has a brake on it, so best of both worlds. It shoots softer with the Omega than with just a brake.
    I think I’ll have ES build a barrel that’s a bit more robust than the factory DT offerings. The added weight will certainly help with recoil.

For punching paper I would just go to the 6.5s or a 6mm. Why in the world would anyone want to beat themselves up with heavy recoil shooting a course of fire on paper..... I have a few 6.5s that shoot well at distance. I shoot reactive targets, not paper, just got burned out on paper shooting on military teams.

For punching paper I would just go to the 6.5s or a 6mm. Why in the world would anyone want to beat themselves up with heavy recoil shooting a course of fire on paper..... I have a few 6.5s that shoot well at distance. I shoot reactive targets, not paper, just got burned out on paper shooting on military teams.

Totally agree with you. And if I was only shooting paper or steel out to 1000yds, I’d go 6.5 PRC hands down.
    But I’m slowly progressing to a 1,700yrd steel goal.

Totally agree with you. And if I was only shooting paper or steel out to 1000yds, I’d go 6.5 PRC hands down.
    But I’m slowly progressing to a 1,700yrd steel goal.
    I think you mean 6.5 Creedmoor... Because the 6.5 PRC is so overbore, it will burn a barrel out in 1,000 rounds. 6.5 PRC is really more of hunting cartridge, where you only shoot a box or 2 of ammo per season out of it, so it runs for quite a long time before having to rebarrel it.

Reactions: YotaEer
    I’ve heard 1500 rds for 6.5 PRC barrel.

My goal is a Goldilocks cartridge for
    1700-2000 yds. And I think the 7PRC has the best potential to be that cartridge. I think we’ll be seeing some heavier, higher BC bullets very soon, and the PRC has a little more room for growth. The curious cat in me really wants to try the 7 saum, and I may at a later date (good excuse for another rifle)
    But I think with the input I’ve gotten so far, the 7PRC fits my niche for the intent.

I’ve heard 1500 rds for 6.5 PRC barrel.

My goal is a Goldilocks cartridge for
    1700-2000 yds. And I think the 7PRC has the best potential to be that cartridge. I think we’ll be seeing some heavier, higher BC bullets very soon, and the PRC has a little more room for growth. The curious cat in me really wants to try the 7 saum, and I may at a later date (good excuse for another rifle)
    But I think with the input I’ve gotten so far, the 7PRC fits my niche for the intent.
    1,500 rounds would be a pipe dream... Accuracy is subjective amongst people, so what constitutes "accurate barrel life" is not always what most think. It might still shoot under 1" @ 100, but if it was shooting 1/3 to 1/2" before, that means it's already started it's end of life slide of "accurate barrel life" when it stops putting down sub-1/2 minute groups and starts getting closer and closer to 1" groups every time you shoot it.

You also have to consider heat and throat cracking. Shooting long strings or more than 3-5 rounds without letting it cool with burn the throat in that barrel QUICK. That's why most folks use things like 6.5CM, .260 Rem, and .308 Win for practice rounds...They last MUCH longer, and downrange ballistics aren't that much different. Do some extrapolation, and while a bullet might be moving noticeably faster at the muzzle, it will start losing steam quicker downrange due to wind resistance, regardless of ballistic coefficient. Faster bullets create greater wind resistance. Don't believe me, look at velocities and energy of subsonic ammo downrange, and how much the bullet loses per 100 yards, compared to say the 6.5 PRC and how much velocity it loses per 100 yards. It's pretty eye opening.

Dude, we already have 195gr bullets for the 7mm... The Berger Elite Hunters. You can't really go much heavier without completely needing custom twist barrels. we've already come down from 9" range to 1:8 twist being the new standard to stabilize the 195's.

Thanks F.
    It will be a custom 28” ES barrel. Either 1:7.75 or 1:7.5
    The SMK 197’s and the Hornady 190 A-tips are what I’d be shooting immediately. With the hope of 200+ coming soon
    Wind is a huge factor where I shoot. Sometimes a 20mph wind is a “great day”. Other days it’s 40-50mph.
    My shots would be spaced apart in 2’s. First shot and then a follow up. Cool down, rinse and repeat.