• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Want to move

rero360

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2008
South Pasadena, CA
I've only been here in CA for 2.5 years, coming from NY, and I'm ready to pull stakes for someplace better. I figure I have one year left on my current enlistment and finish my current schooling shortly before then (convenient) so unless I can find a kickass job with a huge paycheck or I get deployed (which would only delay the move) I'm out of here in a year.

Now I know I have plenty of time to find someplace to move to, and I've started whittling it down going by climate, tax burdens, cost of living and gun laws. I've also looked at job availability but thats something thats always going to be in flux. I am a machinist by the way, experienced in both CNC and manual machines.

So far my top picks are Texas, PA, Indiana, Florida, Ohio, Washington, Utah, Tenn. Nevada, the Virginas, Kentucky, and New Hampshire. With Washington being the only one that doesn't allow SBRs as far as I can tell, which I kind of want one, concealed carry and suppressors are the most important to me, gun wise. Good hunting, low cost of living and good job opportunities are extremely important as well.

The states that I will not even consider are NJ, NY, Illinois, Hawaii, Delaware, Mass, CA, Iowa and Minnesota.

So I know we have members all over the country and all have insight into their states more than just numbers, hence me asking you all for your advice and knowledge.

I'm interested in your thoughts.

Re: Want to move

Utah is a nice place, and fits all your criteria, but there seems to be a steady influx of assholes from CA coming in more and more everyday. They come here and talk about how great it is, and how we should do things like they do in CA to make it better..........

TN has pretty lax gun laws, but Kentucky has OPEN CARRY! I mean really, walking down the ville with a shottie hung on your back, what's not to like?(oh wait, maybe toothless girls at eh local bar, low cost of living, trailer parks and pick up trucks, crooked law enforcement(where else can you go, get a ticket for 85 in the 65 and have the google maps show that exact place as a 70mph zone for the past ten miles, as well as GPS proof of speed, yet the leo insists you were , well doing 95 in the 70...a good story teller, but not good enough to get a convinced look from the judge who only appeared disgusted as he said, "DISMISSED")

I like it here in PA. Mountains everywhere, plenty of places to shoot and ride quads, and the fall season is amazingly beautiful.

Avocations, hobbies are nice but still finding a job is the job at hand.......here's a listing for mostly the Puget Sound area here in Washington... We have high cost of living, high cost of housing, high tax rates, congested highways.......we have it all. Two income family desirable.

http://www.indeed.com/q-CNC-l-Puget-Sound,-WA-jobs.html

Anyplace you go, you should hook up with a employment agency that might place you immediately to work and showcase your talents to prospective employers.....be prepared to switch occupations too, bet lots of Home Depot, Lowe's guys are former Boeing. xray9

I didn't see Wyoming on your list but has all the things you listed except the climate isn't so great. NO concealed carry laws so carry at will open or concealed, NFA friendly, good hunting, lots of jobs with good pay, and the list goes on...

If your considering work, Texas has some of the best employment in the US, lots of jobs in machinework, especially around the Houston area, and great gun laws. Ouve got to deal with the Texans, but that aint too bad. My home, Virginia is great too, but it snows more.

tax burdens, cost of living and gun laws. I've also looked at job availability but thats something thats always going to be in flux.

That spells WYOMING to me. Spend a couple days in Gillette for example and let it be known you are a machinest and see how long before you get hired.

Gillette is only one of many places where a machinest can prosper in Wyoming.

Next week I'll be leaving Michigan forever en-route to North Dakota.

I have a three week stop in St. Paul for certification training for the new job.

If I ever relocate it will be to Texas. Great hunting, good climate, alot of work in my field (heavy truck mechanic) and beautiful houses that are very affordable.

I think thats part of the problem in putting any real credence to websites like monster, it paints an incomplete picture of the total available jobs, even if one was to look on every online job board I'm sure it would only comprise maybe 75% of the openings, industry dependent probably.

So far I've looked at Monster and US Jobs, with monster having a good number more postings. USA Jobs results in 4 positions, nation wide, although with the way things are going, regardless of who wins the election in the fall, gov. jobs are going to be scarce and honestly, outside of NASA, JPL, and a few other cool science type gigs, I'd rather stay far away from the govt. teat.

I just feel crushed under the taxes, laws, regulations and all the liberal nonsense of CA. I honestly can't think of one good thing they do, other than Issa spearheading the F&F investigation. I've just had a constant string of bad luck in this state and I need to get out.

I think the "bust" days are over.

With the coal fields we have, support will be needed or a long time.

Even if we wing our self off Coal (I don't see that happening) the coal companies are setting up for coal sales to China and other Asian companies.

Then there is natural gas, something that's a long way from seeing the peak of production in this area.

Can you imagine the support services (as machinest and heavy mechanics) thats going to be required for pushing more rail lines to the west coast to haul this coal.

My kid works at the Thunder Basin Mine. I was talking to one of their managers, he says the sky is the limit for anyone interested in the Tech. Trades.

My son got his training (construction equipment repairman/diesel engine repair) from the WY NG, his job out look in this are in unlimited.

You cna build in and buy heavy equipment from China, but you have to fix it here.

Colorado is becoming California-lite what with all of the California trash moving away from the state they fucked up in search of new places to fuck up. It's still great but it's going downhill and all these shootings don't help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Colorado is becoming California-lite what with all of the California trash moving away from the state they fucked up in search of new places to fuck up. It's still great but it's going downhill and all these shootings don't help.</div></div>

The west side of WY is starting this same trend. Jackson Hole is the worst.

And just to add to what Kraig said, there is a small but profitable oil boom going on again in the Gillette area as we speak. Also 110 miles south is Douglas and it is booming more there than in Gillette. With the addition of these new wells and facilities comes a demand for the support side of things that most oil companies don't handle internally. Between coal, oil and gas, and uranium mining, there are lots of oportunities in the NE WY area for somebody with and kind of tech skills as Kraig mentioned.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Colorado is becoming California-lite what with all of the California trash moving away from the state they fucked up in search of new places to fuck up. It's still great but it's going downhill and all these shootings don't help. </div></div>

Same thing in Oregon and Washington. It's a cancer. They don't even realize that they caused the problem that they are fleeing from.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Colorado is becoming California-lite what with all of the California trash moving away from the state they fucked up in search of new places to fuck up. It's still great but it's going downhill and all these shootings don't help. </div></div>

Even when I lived in Denver 40 yrs ago there were bumper stickers that read "dont Californicate Colorado."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rero360</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The states that I will not even consider are NJ, NY, Illinois, Hawaii, Delaware, Mass, CA, Iowa and Minnesota.

</div></div>

DC? Would you consider DC? I hear the locals are really nice and never try to steal your stuff or rob you.

Vernal Utah has an oil boom too. Good place to find a job, small town, has a Wal Mart, good hunting and fishing nearby, no section 8 housing at all.