• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Want to put a suppressor on my Mauser M18 ....but the barrel isnt threaded..

ueb_30

Private
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2020
TN
Do i need to replace the barrel or go to a gunsmith to have it fixed? How much $$ we talking ? First time gun owner here. Thanks in advance! BTW its chambered in .308 does subsonic ammo + suppresor make this thing dead quiet?

Oof. It’s likely thin enough that you’ll want to put a new barrel on that’s thick enough to be threaded. Yes, subsonic is quiet but you’ll want to make sure is twisted fast enough to stabilize the usually heavy long bullet with very low rotational stabilization due to the low velocity.

Witt Machine has clap on muzzle brakes.........if you send them the right measurements it'll fit . I have 4 or 5 rifles with their brakes on them .......have no complaints.

If you are going to let a gunsmith thread it........ Don't leave it with one who can't give you a completion date. I have had a barrel at 2 different smiths for 12 months (6 months each) and never got it threaded. If one will put you on his waiting list and allow you to bring it in the day he will thread it, that would be acceptable.
I know, I know there are 100's of guys who have a smith who will thread it in a few days... Save those replies, I've heard all of them.

Witt Machine has clap on muzzle brakes.........if you send them the right measurements it'll fit . I have 4 or 5 rifles with their brakes on them .......have no complaints.

What does he need a brake for?
He needs threads for a suppressor.

Being that the bore is .30 cal, and the original barrel is probably too thin in diameter, I suspect there won't be enough meat. As spife said, it might be best to get a new barrel.

OP, can you measure the outside diameter of your barrel right at the muzzle?

may not be worth the hassle and costs ...will just save up and get this one once its back in stock