• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Want to Put My R700 On A Diet.... Any ideas?

COLOSHOOTR

Private
Minuteman
Oct 8, 2010
Colorado
I just recently made the plunge and purchased an AI AT from Mile High (thanks to MHSA for everything) and will have her next week. So now I'm on a mission to turn my 700 into a lightweight rifle as the AI is fairly heavy . So far it's equipped as follows: 700 AAC-SD in B&C stock, SAS TOMB brake, 20 in barrel, TPS aluminum base and Bushnell HDMR in SPUHR mount. Total weight is 13 lbs as equipped.

So that leads to my question. What should I do to lighten it up while keeping cost down? Fluting the barrel and bolt are options if i find the right place/price. I would like a chassis type system that is light weight and has a magizine built in. What chassis would you guys suggest? Is there anything else you can think of to lighten things up without breaking the bank?

Thanks fellas!

If you got a fiberglass or carbon fiber stock and had it bedded it'd be a lot lighter than a chassis. XLR Element is the lightest chassis I can think of and it's still about 5 pounds. I think Manners will make you a carbon fiber one that weighs around 3.

The cheapest and probably lighter then any chassis will be to get a cheap dbm for that b&c (ptg etc), cut your barrel down to 16" and change you optic out for something lighter. Fluting the bolt will do next to nothing for weight savings and fluting a factory barrel seems kind of retarded.

The XLR Element is the lightest chassis that I know of (that I'd actually own). The lightest option would be to get a Manners Elite Hunter series stock with an aluminum DBM. For your rifle, Manners has a few Elite Hunters listed on their ready to ship page, so you would not have to wait for one. The EH-1 stock that I had was very nice.

If you got a fiberglass or carbon fiber stock and had it bedded it'd be a lot lighter than a chassis. XLR Element is the lightest chassis I can think of and it's still about 5 pounds. I think Manners will make you a carbon fiber one that weighs around 3.

The KRG X-ray chassis is 3.1lbs w/o Magazine.