• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Want to see a 1.1-8 MK8 !!

Glen Seekins

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 28, 2004
lewiston, ID
www.seekinsprecision.com
Anyone out there that has a Leopold 1.1-8 with either the M-TMR or H27D Reticle that wants a free set of rings for it let me know. I need to hold one in person and see if i like it before i dump the cash. If you have one you can part with long enough for me to put my paws on it i will gladly give you a set of rings for your troubles. All the online pics i can find arent helping me enough..

PM me...

Re: Want to see a 1.1-8 MK8 !!

Wish I was stateside Glen, I'd ship mine to you to try out.

I have the M-TMR version on my MK12 and really like it. Turrets are outstanding and I pretty much agree with LL's review he posted up several months ago. It's outstanding above 3x, but I'm not a fan below that. You start to see the distortion around the edges below there and it's pretty significant at 1.1x. It's sufficiently usable but if you're hoping for something Aimpoint-ish, you'll be disappointed.

Illumination on the M-TMR is on the posts, not the center, so it's pretty much useless at the higher magnification levels. I know this was spec'd for the USMC and I understand why they did it that way, but that doesn't mean I'm happy with it. Cranking up the illumination on low power and hitting 25m hammer pairs on multiples is done well, but still makes me miss my Aimpoint. Of course I don't miss it when I stretch its legs though...

I'm actually looking to pick up one of the new mil-dot versions and will probably sell my M-TMR, but I'm waiting for confirmation that the mil-dot model has the center dot illumination like the H27.

Hopefully someone else comes through with a demo for you.

I wrote this awhile ago, really interested Jason to see what Leupold has to say. Last year they said they'd were working on an upgrade kit for the illumination for the TMR. With all the new scopes coming out, I could see that getting pushed back:

Actually not first impressions, I've had it over a month and shot it on two different rifles in two different competitions, but I didn't want to over promise since I don't have a lot of pics.

I have the CQBSS version with the TMR reticle on it, mounted in a Larue mount. The scope has a nice feel to it. Pretty easy to grab the power ring, its the back third of the scope, and turn it. The relatively high mounting of AR optics helps to allow me to get my hand around it. No parallax to fiddle with. The windage and elevation knobs are trully inspired, they are not going to move unless you are grabbing from both sides, and I've never failed to get the knobs to move from a bad grip. Like good technology, it keeps you from getting into trouble, and it is barely noticable that they are there. You need an allen wrench to rezero them, I've been spoiled by my Premier knobs. By how high you set the knobs you can limit the knobs to one turn. The elevation knob is marked for MK262 out past 700m. Illumination knob works well with 10 levels and and off inbetween settings.

It is with the illumination that this scope gets kind of squirrely, and at $3400+ sales prices I've seen, you shouldn't have squirrels you should have mink. Bone head me left the scope on, with a pretty fresh battery, on a fairly high setting. When I got back to the rifle the battery was dead. S&B Short Dots auto off to preserve batteries don't they. Actually figuring out the battery was dead was another issue and the biggest drawback to the scope. A step back first.

I have the the TMR reticle version, not the uber-ninja holographic low power dot with the Horus reticle. Not nocking the TMR reticle, I'll talk about that when I talk about the optics. The issue is that the reticle is not day light illumination visible. Dun-dun-dun.... Something that scopes a quarter of the price seem to have figured out, Leupold has not put into their "Hey we can make real tactical scopes" offering. I confirmed with another CQBSS owner and he concurred that it is not day light visible. Does it make the scope unusable, not by a long shot-- but to go from the low power DAYLIGHT visible dot in the Horus scope to a non day light reticle seems a bit odd. I noticed it mostly during the matches when I had to shoot black steel targets. You can still see the reticle, it just gets a little more difficult, especially when you are using hold overs. I've looked thru the Horus/Dot version (for only like a minute), and while it was a bot odd- it was red till viewed a bit off kilter and then it turned green- at least it gave you a nice red dot for low power shooting.

And I think that is the biggest issue, with out the a daylight lit feature, the scope isn't nearly as fast close up as it could be. They can get the Red dot lit well enough, why not the TMR reticle???

Moving on, the optics are great. Edge to edge clarity, razor sharp. (I know, everyone says that about their scopes like everyone is an above average driver). I've shot it out to 400 yards and could read bullet hits like I was looking at the back of my hand. The 1.1 works like a 1x to me- no issues when I've tested it out or in matches. From 4-8x the reticle comes into its own and is very readable. The first match I used it on an LMT MWS, but the longest shots were 100 yards. Even a lot of the shorter range targets were head shots or tight shots, so 3-4 magnification helped me to be precise and know that I had neutralized the target.

The most challenging stage was at Pueblo's Rifle match where I ran it on my JP 556 upper. The first bank of targets were at about 15 yards and you needed head shots, so I started out at 1.1 and engaged them. You then had to engage IPSC target at about 400 yards, so I cranked it to 8x and used the reticle to hold over. You then had to engage 4 swingers at 150-230 yards, along a hillside, so I cranked it to about 4x and engaged them. You then had to move to three other shooting postions and engage the same IPSC and four targets. The IPSC got a bit closer, and the 4 disks got about 25-30 yards farther away. I did the same dialing back and forth to help my accuracy at 400 and dialing it back to help with the hillside targets. This really showed how the scope shines. On longer range targets the TMR held true and allowed me not to have to fiddle with the elevation knobs.

Another stage had a VTAC wall and a single reduced size IPSC target at 125 yards. My first time shooting the wall and I didn't have experience with the positions. I had the scope dialed to 3-4, and the lowest holes gave me fits as I tried to get behind the scope. A bit of an issue with eye relief, but that is more an issue with my ergonomics than the scopes, and a had a bit more mag on than I should have. An illuminated reticel might have nade me feel better about where the POA was on the black IPSC target.

Going to cut this a bit short. Got a head cold and I took some Nyquill and thought I'd type faster than I have, and its been a long day.

All in all a great scope, outside the un-illuminated illumination set-up. It really is hard to judge since I think its direct peers- the S&B and Premier are still not out- and the CQBSS has been in the field for awhile. If those are everything they are claimed to be, the CQBSS will take a beating. It is really hard to damn the CQBSS when its peers are still not on the market.

Here's hoping Leupold figure out the illumination, or figures out a cheaper way to do the red dot like on the Horus models.

Mildot and TMR, not daylight visible, per Leupold.

Horus still the only one in the Mark 8.

Suggested I wait for the 1-6 Mark 6
frown.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mildot and TMR, not daylight visible, per Leupold.

Horus still the only one in the Mark 8.

Suggested I wait for the 1-6 Mark 6
frown.gif
</div></div> Damn... I'd rather slam my dick in a door than pay the Horus price uplift. How friggin' hard is it to realize what the shooters want and execute?

We will have a video done I hope in a few days. The one I have has the M-TMR. I like the M-TMR it does not have daytime bright illumination but I do not feel it slowed me down.

Mike @ CST

I think I'm going to find a Horus one somewhere. I want the daylight dot for fast close stuff and I'm not too opposed to the Horus as long as I can see the lines and not have to count to find where i need to be.I just need to look thru one first.

I know there are some nice scopes supposed to be out this summer but I can't wait that long. Comps start in less than a month...

So if the M-TMR model includes the AA53 MK262 Mod 1 5.56mm BDC dial, and the H-27D model includes the M118LR 7.62mm BDC dial are these BDC dials interchangeable on the MK8 CQBSS series?

Anyone know based on which reticle type you have if you can order a different dial from the Leupold custom shop?

I had a Loopy 1-8 for a bit. The illumination blew goat and it was way heavy.

Best bet is to get a S&B 1-4 Short Dot or a Swaro 1-6.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hoser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a Loopy 1-8 for a bit. The illumination blew goat and it was way heavy.
</div></div>

What reticle?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heatseekins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After looking im starting to wonder if i can even get a .1mil elevation and windage adjustment. If not, im out..</div></div> My M-TMR is .1 mil adjustments. Last year the folks from Leupold said they were looking into being able change out the illumination so I might go that route if it comes true.

USGILT, the BDC printed dials are interchangeable and should be available from Leupold Custom Shop. It's just a simple ring that slips on and isn't the dial itself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What reticle? </div></div>

TMR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heatseekins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After looking im starting to wonder if i can even get a .1mil elevation and windage adjustment. If not, im out..</div></div> My M-TMR is .1 mil adjustments. Last year the folks from Leupold said they were looking into being able change out the illumination so I might go that route if it comes true.

USGILT, the BDC printed dials are interchangeable and should be available from Leupold Custom Shop. It's just a simple ring that slips on and isn't the dial itself. </div></div>

Thanks Redmanss making the decision "a bit" easyer anyway.

Just talked to Leupold -

The following ballistic rings for the MK8 CQBSS are available:
DIAL, ELEVATION,.1 MIL, 7.62mm, 175gr, M118LR, METERS, MATTE
DIAL, ELEVATION, .1 MIL, 5.56mm, Mk262 Mod 1 DODIC AA53, BDC (USMC Data)
DIAL, ELEVATION, 5.56 mm, 70 gr, 14.5 in, METERS, CQBSS, MATTE
DIAL, BDC, ELEVATION, 5.56mm, 77 gr, 14.5 In, CQBSS, MATTE