• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

want too learn long range shooting

crane op

Private
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2014
ashland ky
I'm wanting too get in too long range shooting what would be a good gun for it I have a armourlite ar 15 but thinking maybe getting 308 and not sure of any place close too where I live with range

Welcome to the Hide.
Before you begin Here is what I would do, in this order

-Fill out your information (location, etc)
-sit back and read with a open mind, there is a ton of good resources here on the hide
-introduce yourself here New Member Introduction Section
-use the member link up page to find people anl local places to shoot in your area Sniper's Hide Member Link Up

See what the pros use, figure out your budget and aquire your gear. There is NO substitute for trigger time, so get out and apply it.

Kirk Roberts

Welcome to the Hide.
Before you begin Here is what I would do, in this order

-Fill out your information (location, etc)
-sit back and read with a open mind, there is a ton of good resources here on the hide
-introduce yourself here New Member Introduction Section
-use the member link up page to find people anl local places to shoot in your area Sniper's Hide Member Link Up

See what the pros use, figure out your budget and aquire your gear. There is NO substitute for trigger time, so get out and apply it.

Kirk Roberts

^^ What Kirk said!! ^^

Additionally, its "ARMALITE"...if you want a .308 AR, its an AR-10 and NOT and AR-15.

Finally, as Kirk said, knowing your locale will help in getting you at least somewhat close to available ranges within a reasonable drive of you. Even if you don't have access to longer ranges immediately, that is nothing to stop you from developing sound fundamentals across the board which will translate to better results across the board whether shoot at 100yds or 1000yds. Don't let the lack of longer distances stop you from getting some quality education/training (the online training is a great place to start...real-time, in-person training is also something that I highly recommend as you can't beat that kind of immediate feedback/coaching/etc. which you can't get with the online sources as well).

Good luck and welcome to the Hide!

Thank y'all the spelling error was my bad got in a hurry but I appreciate the feed back I will update my stuff to and I will definatly b we on here and be asking lots of questions just trying too get an idea of what I'm in for

only thing I would add is to start with a rifle whose ammo is inexpensive (.22, .223 or .308). You will shoot more if you don't wince every time you send one downrange :).

Just yesterday I just had a conversation with someone about how shooting squirrels with a .22 can translate into good skills with a larger caliber - and I think there is some merit to the argument. Essentially, you should be able to learn most of the fundamentals of shooting long range by shooting shorter range with a .22 (out to say 1-2 hundred yards). If your distance challenged this may be an inexpensive option, and the ammo is certainly a lot less expensive. This would give you time to research a larger caliber system while still gettting lots of shooting time and a bolt action .22 is fairly inexpensive for a decent rifle (not top of the line - those suckers are just as expensive as a big caliber bolt gun).

The farthest I have shot was 300 meters and that was when I was in the army now its usually around 100 to 200 yards I enjoy shooting would just like too be able too shoot farther and would like too learn and be able too shoot farther I am finding out there is a lot to learn

crane op if you want to really want to have fun take a look at this:

6mm AR Home Page

I shoot 1,000 yd. competition with my bolt gun in 6mm Norma BR. At one time the record 5 shot group with this caliber was 1+7/8" for 5 shots ( I think ). My best group was 3+1/4".

Last edited:
I see you updated your profile and are in Ashland! I lived in Huntington just across the way for a few years a couple decades ago. Lots of good places to shoot down that way (or at least...there were) and there's a fairly active Bluegrass State contingency here on the Hide with organized events held in the W. part of the state on a regular basis. Check out the "Groups" for KY, as well as the "Monthly Shoot" posts re: that Western stuff I mentioned. Lots of helpful folks who can probably give you some of their time as its available.

You should investigate punctuation as well. It's not just a fad, shit is legit.

Holy crap! Ramen noodles almost came out of my nose when I read that.

CLASSIC!!! ;)

You know you are a hard-core, dyed in the wool, dedicated precision long-range junky when you have to eat @#$%ing Ramen noodles to be able to afford everything else that life throws your way in terms of guns/gear!! ;)

and I will definatly b we on here and be asking lots of questions

One thing I would add is that there is an abundance of information already posted on here. If you have lots of questions I would suggest searching for them first. 99.9% of your questions have probably already been answered in a few different posts. Most answers are just a search button away. Oh and also kiss any "extra" cash you have laying around good bye. That will now be your rifle fund!

What kind of crane are you running?

51JJ6Z0BXML.jpg

Attachments

• 51JJ6Z0BXML.jpg
    51JJ6Z0BXML.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 14
You should investigate punctuation as well. It's not just a fad, shit is legit.
lol..you guys are brutal.
Tough place for a newbie....ask a question and get told to read up old posts...then get blistered later for asking something else and not having 1000+ posts.
In all seriousness tho..Crane OP. Read , read, and read some more. I have been a member of these forums for a couple years and I find most of the information I am looking for in past discussions. I'm not saying there isn't room for new discussions of old topics but to start, read up on the plethora of knowledge already here. These guys can be a little rough to the new guys, but are a great group to learn from.
Good luck and happy hunting.

Oh they can't be too rough on me its not the first time I've been the new guy thank you all for your help it is appreciated and to answer cranedaddy I am operating a link belt 130 ton rt I hydro's are all I operate right now

Cool, if you get the chance get on a crawler. I'm running a 110 ton Kobelco crawler and love it. I can run any other crane we have at our yard, doesn't matter hydro or crawler from 275 ton down, Kobelco/Maniwoc, Grove, Demag/Terex, Liebherr, and Link-belt.

As for your question I would recommend a solid bolt gun. Remington 700, Savage 10, Tikka T3 varmint are all winners IMHO. The new DPMS GII rifles are a pretty good deal but they are still significantly more than those bolt guns.