• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Training Courses WANTED: A Jack of All Trades Course in Southeast!

TheHorta

Nest-stirring pot-poker.
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 17, 2014
    NO AL
    I’d LOVE to see a 3-5 day course that covers everything (!!!) Tactical Carbine and Pistol — with vehicle and indoors/CQ, Precision Rifle, Night/Low-Light, Street-Level First Aid / TCCC, WASP, Shoot/Move/Communicate, etc.

Just something that gives a good foundation on everything for those of us who don’t do this for a living but want to get some comprehensive instruction in all the basics.

Preferably something within a 5 hour drive, so AL/GA/MS/TN area.

91HZa6dZDhL.jpg

you can do it send pics
    deliverance-hill-billy.gif

go for the crock it's safer

Honestly, you won’t even get basics in that timeframe. It would be more like a carnival ride. And might do more harm than good.

Best bet is to put together a plan for yourself for 2-3 years with each step building on the next. Pistol first. Then rifle. Then some tactical work ups. Precision rifle when you want.

Take first aid over several months at home. Graduate to a trauma first aid. Most areas have those courses.

Fill in with online training like here on SH. And competitions that test you against a clock and others.

Don’t forget a physical fitness program during all this.

3-5 days doesn’t begin to impart the skills that many spend a lifetime developing and refining. It really doesn’t even let you get a taste of what the learned skills are about. Because you won’t be doing them right in a half day each.

Maybe that is a good topic, though, for one of @lowlight s podcasts or a blog or a ‘free’ online training to promote… online training! “How to plan your training regimen”. That alone is a significant and worthy course.

Its a good thought, though.

Sirhr

Last edited:
    I agree @TheHorta but I think you’d need a couple prerequisites (basic pistol and basic rifle) to make this worth it. Otherwise sounds like a recipe for someone to get shot.

Having no training apart from what has been gleaned here, I’d be curious to hear from these how long of a course it would take to fit everything in. 7 days? 10? 14?

Reactions: TheHorta
    i understand becoming a master (even advanced, whatever that means) takes years. But time to learn the terms, know what you don’t know and get to a place you can stay sharp and not be a total liability someday? We call someone a Marine after 13 weeks

Physical fitness is understated in all of this…

That'd be one heluva partay!!!
    As an instructor I can say knowledge is NOT difficult to impart. The human mind is like a sponge and most learn skills quickly. Mastery is what takes time and repetition with proper mechanics. Locate a facility with capable instructors, take some classes, take some notes, get evaluated and corrected by the many fine instructors across this great nation and then go practice each of these skills with good mechanics at your local range. Film yourself. We have unique and great freedoms in this great nation, get out and take full advantage of them!! Practice is what matters once a foundation has been built. Dry fire, live fire

Bunch of Debbie Downer Dream Stealers. :giggle:

So, maybe I should elaborate a bit more.

Not talking 101. For those, like me, who have taken all the 101 and even a few 102 classes.

More “Let’s cobble together everything you have learned and put it into a single weeklong course” kinda thing.

Doable? I don’t see why not. 0900-midnight for 5 straight days.

You might check with Fieldcraft Survival in NC. They mat have something along that line of training.

If we are imagining the same thing, it sounds like a ton of fun to participate in..... and a nightmare to run. So much risk to have a group of loosely credentialed randoms show up for a week to play in your tactical amusement park. Maintaining safe conditions under such a rigorous and technical curriculum would be tough.

But hey, money talks. Front enough money and I'm sure it can be made to happen. Also, I think consideration for end goals would certainly have playing with cool toys as the primary objective with learning as a secondary objective.

Here's my price is right guess for a class of 10 for the Uber Operator 1 Week Course (feel free to rip this apart as I'm completely shooting from the hip here)

40k for a facility to support your curriculum for a week
    18k for instructor pay
    8k meals and lodging

Split 10 ways, that's 6600 bucks a person for what could be a pretty dope experience. People have paid more for less....

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think @TheHorta is expecting to become a Tier 1 operator in these 3 days. With basic fundamentals and knowledge, 2-3 day course can give techniques and training methods that you can continue to work on beyond the actual course to develop muscle memory and proficiency. I wouldn't attend a course that doesn't require a certain level of weapons proficiency first. This is my 2 cents of course, but also coming from someone who has done this for a living in highly kinetic environments overseas.

If we are imagining the same thing, it sounds like a ton of fun to participate in..... and a nightmare to run. So much risk to have a group of loosely credentialed randoms show up for a week to play in your tactical amusement park. Maintaining safe conditions under such a rigorous and technical curriculum would be tough.

But hey, money talks. Front enough money and I'm sure it can be made to happen. Also, I think consideration for end goals would certainly have playing with cool toys as the primary objective with learning as a secondary objective.

Here's my price is right guess for a class of 10 for the Uber Operator 1 Week Course (feel free to rip this apart as I'm completely shooting from the hip here)

40k for a facility to support your curriculum for a week
    18k for instructor pay
    8k meals and lodging

Split 10 ways, that's 6600 bucks a person for what could be a pretty dope experience. People have paid more for less....
    $7K and sign life away on waivers. I’m all over that. Just need 9 other peeps.

i understand becoming a master (even advanced, whatever that means) takes years. But time to learn the terms, know what you don’t know and get to a place you can stay sharp and not be a total liability someday? We call someone a Marine after 13 weeks

They earn the title of Marine in 13 weeks.

You are missing the SOI portion of the training to become basically trained riflemen.

Reactions: rlsmith1
    You can always see iffin they’ll let you be a celebrity guest at OTC

• Haha
    The US Marine Corps would like to visit with you to understand how you intend on consolidating 13 weeks of yelling into 7 days
    And not to denigrate anyone who has made it through Marine Basic... and they are by any definition now Marines.

But all they have really done is proved that they can now be trained to be... Marines. Basic is just that... Basic. Maybe some of our career/long-service Marines can comment on how 'trained' a fresh-outta-basic Marine is in the combat arts? At a basic level... pretty darn well. Ready for downrange? I'll let our Marines comment on the process of making them ready to survive combat.

Sirhr

Reactions: stefan73
    If you actually want to train and learn skills, you would be best served by taking individual skills classes one at a time.

What it seems you are more talking about is essentially a shooting "experience" designed more for entertainment than actual training.

Basic EMR courses would provide a pretty good foundation. A lot of the foundation for the current EMR training is based on "tactical care" without the "tactical" part, it is however a great foundation to work from imo. If you volunteer at a fire department you can usually take the course free of charge.

There are a lot of training courses available but I doubt it would be good to do a 1 week drink from the firehose type course on all these topics. I would recommend taking it in easier, smaller bites that can afford you repetitive training /drills for retention purposes.

Just my .02 and a nice way of saying cramming all that stuff into a short course isn't a great/good idea.

Basic EMR courses would provide a pretty good foundation. A lot of the foundation for the current EMR training is based on "tactical care" without the "tactical" part, it is however a great foundation to work from imo. If you volunteer at a fire department you can usually take the course free of charge.

There are a lot of training courses available but I doubt it would be good to do a 1 week drink from the firehose type course on all these topics. I would recommend taking it in easier, smaller bites that can afford you repetitive training /drills for retention purposes.

Just my .02 and a nice way of saying cramming all that stuff into a short course isn't a great/good idea.
    I’ve done TCCC and am starting EMT-B certification this summer. 🥴

If you actually want to train and learn skills, you would be best served by taking individual skills classes one at a time.

What it seems you are more talking about is essentially a shooting "experience" designed more for entertainment than actual training.
    I’ve done the courses. You might be right about the “experience” thing. Sounds like it could be fun.

And not to denigrate anyone who has made it through Marine Basic... and they are by any definition now Marines.

But all they have really done is proved that they can now be trained to be... Marines. Basic is just that... Basic. Maybe some of our career/long-service Marines can comment on how 'trained' a fresh-outta-basic Marine is in the combat arts? At a basic level... pretty darn well. Ready for downrange? I'll let our Marines comment on the process of making them ready to survive combat.

Sirhr

What is this "basic" you speak of? ;)

They are a Marines by definition when they swear the oath, sign the papers and are subject to the UCMJ.
    They "earn" the "title" of Marine upon completion of boot camp.
    They are basically trained Marines when they complete their first course at SOI. This can take another 6-14 weeks after the initial 13 weeks of boot camp, depending on MOS and how long they had to sit in a MAT platoon between courses. Certain MOS's will have additional combat training at a follow-on MOS school. (I.E. Armor, Arty, RO's, etc...)

If they go the Officer route, the whole process can take longer. First OCS, then TBS then MOS.

In all cases, they are likely to be hazed when they arrive at their new unit with the boot drops, just to remind them that they still don't know shit.
    Enlisted directly. Officers tactfully.

If I understand him correctly, Horta is just asking to be fast tracked to that "haze ready" stage.

If a Marine can do it in 13 weeks, I should be able to do it in 1.

Maybe.... but then you'll miss out on the fine art of Crayon connoisseurship, or the staid skill of standing still as a statue and suddenly yelling really loudly for no particular reason, or the patience necessary to wait silently in lines for hours WAYYY before something is scheduled to happen.

It’s not possible to eat 13 weeks of crayons in 1 week. 🙄 can’t rush these things

So basically You want a 4-5 day field-op full of classes, range time, night movements, night shoots, camping, etc?

Sounds fun to me!
    It does sound fun!

I think I get what Horta is saying. It would be like a field op experience (or multiple scenarios) with instruction along the way.

Many of us have taken individual classes but never get to put it all together in an organized fashion.

I’ve taken several classes of various levels but never anything puts it all together and it would be a ton of fun. Couple that with some great instruction to show you what you’re doing right/wrong and new skills as you go would be a real winner.

I’ll bet you could just do a private group with a reputable training center.

I’m in!

Sirhr

A sailor coming out of boot camp is fit to do field day, stand a basic sentry watch, do some basic deck seamanship tasks, and maybe be useful as #2 man on an attack line.

A school and OJT quals is where they learn to be actually useful.

Maybe.... but then you'll miss out on the fine art of Crayon connoisseurship, or the staid skill of standing still as a statue and suddenly yelling really loudly for no particular reason, or the patience necessary to wait silently in lines for hours WAYYY before something is scheduled to happen.

Or getting smoked

Bummer the SureFire TX thing only allows choice of 3 events for participants, but it’s the closest thing out there to what I’m looking for, so I think I’ll go. They have a NODs shooter class from 6:00PM -2:00AM.

Bummer the SureFire TX thing only allows choice of 3 events for participants, but it’s the closest thing out there to what I’m looking for, so I think I’ll go. They have a NODs shooter class from 6:00PM -2:00AM.
    When n where is this? Interested

Some Ohio boys and are are considering going to this, driving down with the trailer and camping...lets keep in touch we can collaborate this fellas

You definitely want to camp at this event. The social aspect is pretty fun at night and the last event four roses had a whiskey tasting. Plus the area around it really isn't exciting its too far outside of Houston and honestly no great restaurants close.

If I ever end up in a class with a guy learning "the basics" while also doing cqb drills I'd leave so quick.