• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Wanted: Alaska fishing and lodging recommendation

an1913t

Private
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2007
DFW
My best friend is looking at taking a trip to Alaska in early August 2012 for the entire family (wife and 4 kids ages 2-9). They would be flying into Anchorage. This will be the first real vacation they've taken in many years and only the 2nd time they will have been to Alaska. The last time was in 2004, when he got to go salmon and hallibut fishing for 1 day. He has been wanting to go back since then.

So, I'm looking for any lodging and fishing (including guide) recommendations I can pass on. He was thinking about trying to find a place to rent in the Homer area and doing our fishing out of there, but is open to any and all suggestions in the Anchorage area.

Also, if there are any particular sights he should see or things he should do in the area, please let us know. Last time I was there, we took the train from Anchorage to Seward and thought it was incredible.

There is also a chance another couple or two will be joining him. So if anyone knows of any nice houses that could be rented for a week of so, he'd be particularly interested.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Wanted: Alaska fishing and lodging recommendation

redoubtlodge.com

Went there in 06. Was my only trip to Alaska and I fell in love with the country. We rented a float plane and flew out off of Lake Hood. We were there the 3rd week in August. The Sockeye had already made their run but, we wore wore out the Silver salmon. Ryan and Heather are the nicest people you'll ever meet. I still get Christmas cards from them.

islandanglercharters.com
We are in Kodiak and average 800lbs of fish per day with a full boat(6 people). I can get you on with another group if need be. August is absolutely the best time to visit. Halibut, Lingcod, Rockfish, 5 species of Salmon, Pacific Cod, etc...... Some of the prettiest water and terrain you'll ever see. Check out the photo gallery on the website. We now are running a 32' Glaciercraft and a 36' custom fast comfortable boats.

I went to a place up in Homer called the Halibut cove lodge, back in 2001, before going over to Kodiak and doing some commercial salmon fishing for the summer. Now looking for the website it looks like the website is off line. But I had some nice memories there and would love to get back up there to do some fishing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krm375</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I went to a place up in Homer called the Halibut cove lodge, back in 2001, before going over to Kodiak and doing some commercial salmon fishing for the summer. Now looking for the website it looks like the website is off line. But I had some nice memories there and would love to get back up there to do some fishing. </div></div>
A lot of charters went under due to increased regulations and expensive permits for Halibut. There are a few very good areas left. Kodiak is nice because the biomass is at a higher level than many places and there are only about a dozen regular charters in town. Homer has many more times that and the spots get fished HARD. PM me if you want reccomendations in most any area..