• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wanted: opinions of Rem. LTR rifles

clifford44

Private
Minuteman
Aug 8, 2008
Arkansas
I'm curious as to what all the "experts" on the hide think of the Rem. LTR? Mine is a .308 and it will shoot sub moa at 100 yards when I do my part! That was with a Springfield Armory 4-14x56 on it. I traded that scope off and bought a NF 3.5-15x50 np-r2 which I have yet to mount on it. I know it isn't a custom built rifle, but considering what it is, basically a "stock" rifle with a trigger job...what is the opinion of those who shoot them or have shot them? I appreciate the input and any suggestions anyone has regarding this rifle.

Re: Wanted: opinions of Rem. LTR rifles

gtg
an LTR was my first remington.
i only sold it because the stock was a bit small for me. (and in .223)

I own one and at 300 (the farthest I have pushed it) it shoots much better than I do, more trigger time with a competant coach is a definate need of mine. love the gun

( I'm no expert. But I do know alittle.) They are good weapons. To make it and you a better shooter, either do a trigger job on the stock rem trigger or buy a drop in unit from Jewel or Timney with a safety. I have some of my rifles with trigger jobs on rem 700's and my favorite rifle has a jewell..... I would highly recommend gearing up to handload the 308. Your groups will really tighten up with some prime handloads and you will save money by not having to pay $50+ dollars for 20 rounds ( future price of bullets if liberals have their way.) I'm sure that others will chime in on some other good ideas......Also alot of people really down know how to properly clean and season the barrel. Accuracy can be improved upon by treating the barrel the way it should be treated....SmokeRolls

I agree with Smoke Rolls on treating the barrel the way it should be treated! The LTR I purchased had a linda loveless throat! There was NO way I could load a round and get the bullet even close to the lands- Loads at mag length gave AK type accuracy with sierra+lapua. Treat the barrel right-replace it.Sent mine to GAP-had the action tuned,rebarreled and put in a return stock_now it shoots! I have purchased my last remington.If they are $900 now-that is out of line-paid $650 for mine-thats a lot for basic action after you toss the junk.Have a GAP action-will not waste money on a stock action ever again! Good Luck-look around-go to a few matches-see what is out there.barry

I bought my first LTR about 10 years ago and have had a few others over the years in both 223 & 308. I even had one that was a factory DM model. All were solid performers.

As Smoke Rolls said, handloading and trigger work will be your friend. Especially on the newer X-Mark trigger models. It's not to say you won't get one that shoots well with factory match ammo but it gets expensive and besides your groups & consistancy will improve.

just my .02¢

I think they are an exceelent rifle. I have one that has had some minor tuning/blueprinting done and it shoots excellent. Another sniper on our team has one that is factory stock except for the trigger tuning and it will shoot nearly 1/2 MOA all day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sr15match</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bought my first LTR about 10 years ago and have had a few others over the years in both 223 & 308. I even had one that was a factory DM model. All were solid performers.

As Smoke Rolls said, handloading and trigger work will be your friend. Especially on the newer X-Mark trigger models. It's not to say you won't get one that shoots well with factory match ammo but it gets expensive and besides your groups & consistancy will improve.

just my .02¢ </div></div>

DM = Detachable Magazine? How hard are these to come by and why are only a few DM models? Thanks.