• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wanting a 18” 6.5 Creedmoor. Input Wanted

wcoats

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 30, 2020
Apex NC
Wanting a 18” 6.5 Creedmoor bolt action and considering 3 different ways to get there. Interesting in advice and input on which is the best way to get there.

Use: Positional shooting on steel for fun out to 1,000 yards and 1 or 2 deer hunting trips per year. Will be suppressed every time I use it which is part of the motivation for an 18” rifle. I want it to have a decent stock and use AICS mags. I already have a 24” Bergara B14 BMP that I really like and use for some PRS style matches but wanting a shorter lighter rifle for fun.

1. Bergara B14 Ridge SP which already has an 18” barrel. Swap out the stock for either an HMR stock or a KRG bravo.

2. Bergara B14 HMR, cut down to 18”

3. Ruger American Predator, cut down to 18” then swap the stock to a Boyd’s pro varmint with their AICS bottom metal.

I’m leaning towards option 1 so I don’t have to deal with finding a gun smith to cut down and re-thread the barrel. I don’t already have one I know of to use and not sure how selective I need to be to get one that will do a good job(as good or better than the factory crown and threads). I’m assuming it will cost about $100 to get a barrel cut and threaded and that I could pick up a used HMR stock for about $300 so options 1 and 2 are about the same price in the end. Option 3 would be the cheapest but not by that much and I don’t think the rifle and stock quality will be quite as good.

Thoughts.

Pick of my current 6.5 Creedmoor at the range for attention

Attachments

• 0206D92C-C6AC-4CE4-B4B6-7B07BBB0A457.jpeg
    0206D92C-C6AC-4CE4-B4B6-7B07BBB0A457.jpeg
    585.2 KB · Views: 161
Reactions: ChadG460
Option 1 for sure. I really like the bravo and the ability to buy and be what you want from the start and not need a Smith is big, at least for me anyway. I love shorty rifles. I just ordered a 16.5” 6.5cm for my AX. I used to have a Ruger RPR in 6.5cm that I had cut down to 17 and loved that thing.

Reactions: tex68w and wcoats
IMO, pick the stock you want to end up with and buy the rifle to match it. The hassle of getting a barrel cut and threaded is nothing compared to a lifetime hassle of wishing you had a different stock. Doesn't make much sense to go Ruger American unless your goal is to save money.

Reactions: Steel head

The bravo does add up, I think I was just over $500 with an arca rail, spigot, and barricade stop. Still an awesome chassis for the money.

I assume he's thinking "light and handy" - though that makes more sense if hunting is the primary purpose versus twice a year. I was thinking of doing up a modern scout with DBM and 18-19 inch barrel as a "jack of all trades" rifle to take with me into the woods that would also be a decent range toy. The GAP Gladius is a bit heavy for that, but pretty close conceptually for me. If I could get it at 7 lbs instead of 10 lbs (caliber aside). Makes me wonder what the Jebediah runs weight wise. Again, not in the same price range as what the OP is looking for, but pretty similar conceptually.

That makes more sense if hunting is the primary purpose versus twice a year.
Some people have rifles that only come out once or twice a year for hunting and that is its primary purpose. They shoot other rifles the rest of the year. Makes sense for OP, especially since he states he already has a 24" rifle for match oriented use. Shooting short barrels out to 1k is just a little more fun ballistically sometimes, and can be good practice.

Reactions: DJL2
I'm going to purchase a new barrel for my incoming Terminus Zeus action. I don't think I want to go 18" and am leaning to 20". I am going to use a suppressor and want a shorter rifle. I fully understand you wanting to go short. I think I'd go 18 if I knew I wasn't going to go any farther than 600yds. Go Bravo too.

I'm going to purchase a new barrel for my incoming Terminus Zeus action. I don't think I want to go 18" and am leaning to 20". I am going to use a suppressor and want a shorter rifle. I fully understand you wanting to go short. I think I'd go 18 if I knew I wasn't going to go any farther than 600yds. Go Bravo too.
Do you really think 2" is going to make a significant difference?

Having taken a 24" rifle down to 17" l know that there is a difference, just not a practical difference.

Also...he doesn't need a reason. Once the dude has made his decision and asked for input on how to make it a reality, the speculation and chit chat is just for the rest of us dopes. ;-)

Reactions: 308pirate
Option 1 for sure. I really like the bravo and the ability to buy and be what you want from the start and not need a Smith is big, at least for me anyway. I love shorty rifles. I just ordered a 16.5” 6.5cm for my AX. I used to have a Ruger RPR in 6.5cm that I had cut down to 17 and loved that thing.

Curious which load you found the most effective from that short barrel?

Having taken a 24" rifle down to 17" l know that there is a difference, just not a practical difference.

I think the practical difference is something some people can't seem to comprehend. I went from 26" to 16" with a 6.5CM. Lost about 200-ish fps, and most agree 200-ish fps is a lot. People plug that into their ballistic calculator and freak out. I gave up some wind performance beyond 700 yards, but I don't notice that in 98% of my shooting with my shorty. And if the weather is calm, you only notice dialing a little more elevation. That's it. I swear some act like they are shooting ELR with every rifle.

Hunters that need the energy down range are the ones that need to worry about going too short imo.

Last edited:
Option 3, put it in a bad ass manners hunting stock and have you a real ultralight hunting rifle that still shoots steel when you want.
7FCEEA9C-16D7-4E2B-B301-6DCF1E4F2A31.jpeg

I love my 18" 6.5 Creedmoor...great for hunting with a can and suits my banging steel and punching paper just fine.

I get about 2660fps (Magneto V2) with Berger 130gr Hybrid factory ammo, though I haven't verified at distance.

This was mine yesterday trying to get a load to meet power factor for the Nrl hunter matchbin Tennessee. Unfortunately I got to 43.1gr of h4350 with Barnes 140 bullets. Needless to say I’m pushing pressure and no where near 380,000 power factor. 😢
3EE6D6C1-45ED-4154-AC7B-D71CE0D6A0D2.jpeg

This was mine yesterday trying to get a load to meet power factor for the Nrl hunter matchbin Tennessee. Unfortunately I got to 43.1gr of h4350 with Barnes 140 bullets. Needless to say I’m pushing pressure and no where near 380,000 power factor. 😢View attachment 7584528
Switch to a 308

You won't have any problem making PF

Well I’m just switching to heavy division instead of light and taking my other rifle. I really wanted to do it with my “actual “ hunting rifle but oh well. I feel like if your actual hunting rig is under power only because of barrel length they should have an exception rule. It’s clearly a hunting rifle but rules are rules I guess.

Wanting a 18” 6.5 Creedmoor bolt action and considering 3 different ways to get there. Interesting in advice and input on which is the best way to get there.

Use: Positional shooting on steel for fun out to 1,000 yards and 1 or 2 deer hunting trips per year. Will be suppressed every time I use it which is part of the motivation for an 18” rifle. I want it to have a decent stock and use AICS mags. I already have a 24” Bergara B14 BMP that I really like and use for some PRS style matches but wanting a shorter lighter rifle for fun.

1. Bergara B14 Ridge SP which already has an 18” barrel. Swap out the stock for either an HMR stock or a KRG bravo.

3. Ruger American Predator, cut down to 18” then swap the stock to a Boyd’s pro varmint with their AICS bottom metal.

I’m leaning towards option 1 so I don’t have to deal with finding a gun smith to cut down and re-thread the barrel. I don’t already have one I know of to use and not sure how selective I need to be to get one that will do a good job(as good or better than the factory crown and threads). I’m assuming it will cost about $100 to get a barrel cut and threaded and that I could pick up a used HMR stock for about $300 so options 1 and 2 are about the same price in the end. Option 3 would be the cheapest but not by that much and I don’t think the rifle and stock quality will be quite as good.

Thoughts.

If you decide to go with Bergara then I would choose option one because if you had an HMR cut down you would loose the factory accuracy warranty.

Last edited:

Thoughts.

Option 3: you can do things and still have money left to still not find ammo

Curious which load you found the most effective from that short barrel?
at the time it was just Hornady box ammo. The AX will get proper load development and I’m thinking about 123s. But the FARTHEST I can shoot around here is 1000. Nothing a 140 handload can’t handle for punching targets. I’d like to try some 120-130 bullets to get that speed up for critters around here.

Reactions: tex68w
I was curious if you went with the smaller 130's or 123's. I don't load so it's factory match ammo for me which is obviously unobtanium at the moment.

I was curious if you went with the smaller 130's or 123's. I don't load so it's factory match ammo for me which is obviously unobtanium at the moment.
I preferred Prime 130's over any of the Hornady 14X stuff in my 16.5" barrel. I definitely prefer the extra velocity when you are shooting within 600 yards. I think it became a wash around 700-800 yards, but I don't have access to any of my shooting data.

My go to load in my 18” which I really just use for hunting is the 127lrx Barnes bullet. Hits super hard and has good velocity.

Reactions: tex68w
Thanks everyone for the reply and input. I am going to go ahead and order the B14 Ridge SP(option 1). It came back in stock at a reasonable price. Probably end up doing a KRG Bravo for the stock but shoot it a little in the factory stock first. I have a Bushnell LRHSi 4.5-18 current not on a rifle I’m going to mount on this one. I think this is going to be a handy and fun set up

Option 3, put it in a bad ass manners hunting stock and have you a real ultralight hunting rifle that still shoots steel when you want.View attachment 7584523
I didn’t realize manners makes a stock for the Ruger American. Can you use the AICS bottom metal that comes with the Ruger American Predator or do you have to buy a new bottom metal to be able to use AICS mags in that stock? How expensive was the stock?

Do you really think 2" is going to make a significant difference?

First off, that’s what she said.

I mean it may not to you but I’d like a little, just a little more speed. I do want to push those heavier bullets in my CM.
I know it’s tough but I’d love to try to get at least 2,700fps pushing someone the 140+he range

I didn’t realize manners makes a stock for the Ruger American. Can you use the AICS bottom metal that comes with the Ruger American Predator or do you have to buy a new bottom metal to be able to use AICS mags in that stock? How expensive was the stock?
Oh man I should have clarified, not a Ruger American! It’s a FN action with a custom turned #4 sporter krieger

Oh man I should have clarified, not a Ruger American! It’s a FN action with a custom turned #4 sporter krieger
Sorry I just got confused because you said option 3 which was a Ruger American Predator cut down to 18" then put in a different stock in my original post. To put in a manners stock I'd probably be best to just get the Bergara B14 that already has and 18" barrel and will fit in standard Rem 700 SA stocks.

Well I’m just switching to heavy division instead of light and taking my other rifle. I really wanted to do it with my “actual “ hunting rifle but oh well. I feel like if your actual hunting rig is under power only because of barrel length they should have an exception rule. It’s clearly a hunting rifle but rules are rules I guess.
If you shoot factory ammo then you're exempted from making the PF.

I mean it may not to you but I’d like a little, just a little more speed. I do want to push those heavier bullets in my CM.
I know it’s tough but I’d love to try to get at least 2,700fps pushing someone the 140+he range
That's the whole point I was making.

A little more speed gains you little to nothing in practice. So why sacrifice other attributes for it?

If you shoot factory ammo then you're exempted from making the PF.
I might have a half a box of 6.5 factory on the shelf somewhere and I’m not paying $3 a round for it when I have powder, primers and brass for days.