• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wanting a budget friendly borescope

KCode

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2019
I need one but I don't foresee using it much so which are good but very budget friendly?

I bought the borescope Frank recommended here:

The discount probably doesn’t work anymore as it ended (but sometimes they work). I think it’s pretty darn nice. I wish it fit in 17cal, but oh well.

Reactions: DubfromGA
Another vote for Teslong
IMG_20231217_100136788_HDR.jpg

Reactions: Conaso
I have this one...works with my tablet or phone.

I have this one...works with my tablet or phone.
I was wondering what the benefit of the rigid is over the flexible.
The rigid that connects to PC/Phone is $99, Flexible is $55.
It says the rigid is "easier to control" which I guess makes sense, but is that it? Are they all the same picture quality?

Wonder if the Teslong is double the price better? I mean it's just a camera on a stick...

Wonder if the Teslong is double the price better? I mean it's just a camera on a stick...
Their all Teslongs.
They offer a flexible 45" with no monitor (use PC or phone) $55
A rigid 26" with no monitor (PC or Phone) $99
A rigid 26" with its own monitor $160

Their all Teslongs.
They offer a flexible 45" with no monitor (use PC or phone) $55
A rigid 26" with no monitor (PC or Phone) $99
A rigid 26" with its own monitor $160

Oh...

Well in that case I guess I'll just go with the Teslong over the Teslong. For the money, makes sense right?

If you go to this link on Amazon and scroll down to "Product Description" it has a chart comparing all their models.

I am in the market for one as well and I guess its between the 55$ and $99 ones. I dont care about hooking it up to my PC when I need to use it, so no need to spend $160+ for me.

The rigid one would allow more control I suppose

I have a rigid one with screen that I like a lot more than the old flexible one I was using. But I just really use mine to see how well I cleaned and I used it once when I had an issue with a rifle a shity smith built for me.

Reactions: Baron23
What's the benefit of it's own screen? Are there features that you will have that you won't with a phone or tablet?

What's the benefit of it's own screen? Are there features that you will have that you won't with a phone or tablet?
If you have an iPhone I'd suggest the screen over the Wi-Fi models. They are a giant PITA to keep connected.
On Android you can direct connect via USB but you are then reliant on their app and them keeping it up to date.

My older USB model now requires a non-store provided app to connect which is a huge security no-no. I only use that one with an old phone and the old app.

Random question and older thread I know but are you guys with the rigid version using a bore guide when scoping?

Random question and older thread I know but are you guys with the rigid version using a bore guide when scoping?
I do. I make sure to make it reasonably clean and dry before I slide the scope through it. I tried without using the bore guide and it was a mess. Misalignment and banging around the chamber.

My question is: the bore scope isn’t as long as the barrel. So how does one scope the front of the barrel safely with out damaging the crown?

No. Because you are not applying any force you won't damage the chamber or bore. I bought the USB NTG200H version to use with my phone or laptop. I also went with this model because beside being able to focus with it, it folds for smaller storage.

I do. I make sure to make it reasonably clean and dry before I slide the scope through it. I tried without using the bore guide and it was a mess. Misalignment and banging around the chamber.

My question is: the bore scope isn’t as long as the barrel. So how does one scope the front of the barrel safely with out damaging the crown?
Just be gentle with it especially at the start.

its very tight in a .223 bore just fyi.
I got the rigid and hook it to my PC, which is no problem.
But it can easily get wedged and scratch/gouge the bore in a .223.
I forget the diameter, but its just slightly larger than .22.
I also use a bore guide, but you have to go from the muzzle as well if you want to see that end.

Its MUCH easier on 30cal barrels, and I imagine with the 6's, but use caution on .223

Reactions: carbonbased
its very tight in a .223 bore just fyi.
I got the rigid and hook it to my PC, which is no problem.
But it can easily get wedged and scratch/gouge the bore in a .223.
I forget the diameter, but its just slightly larger than .22.
I also use a bore guide, but you have to go from the muzzle as well if you want to see that end.

Its MUCH easier on 30cal barrels, and I imagine with the 6's, but use caution on .223
Yeah, I agree with all you said, and that was def the reason for my concern.

Now that I think of it, I think Frank Green mentioned somewhere that they have a fixture for borescopes set up for viewing the front of the barrel. I need a longer bench!

I too went with the NTG450H, rigid rod and dedicated display unit. My friend, @GBMaryland had on that attached to phone/iPad and bought the same model as mine as a replacement because he felt it had a much better picture.

I went with rigid vice flexible because its for bolt guns only and its easier to control. If I owned AR types, then maybe flexible would be the way to go.

I did also recently buy this mirror set with different diameters for different bores. The ones that came with my scope were all small enough to fit .22 bore and then had to fiddle around with how far down it was screwed and holding it up or down toward the target area I wanted to see/get pics of in order get good focus. Using the bore specific ones makes this easier and so I sprung for the $20.

Teslong 5 mirror set

how does one scope the front of the barrel safely with out damaging the crown?
Ah....maybe insert the rod into the bore instead of trying to beat your crown into submission with it? ;-) haha

Seriously....just slide it in from the muzzle end if that's the area you want to see.

And no, I also def do not use a bore guide with it. Guide generally has solvent residue/crappola that I don't want on the mirror and they are not needed. I just slide the rod into the chamber....its easy. And without a bore guide, I can see more of the chamber if I want.

Cheers

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: carbonbased
I should, for clarity I guess, note that am most concerned going “bore-first” with my 20cals, which is possible, I’ve done it, and the description says the borescope is rated for 20cals.

I thought maybe I was ignorant of some Master Gunsmith Borescope technique here. Thx for the help!