• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Wanting a new long range set-up.

Silver_Bullet_00

Private
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2010
North Carolina
I'm new to long range shooting. I'm an avid hunter and have taken many deer around 200 yards, but I have never tried a shot beyond 350 yards. I have competed in air rifle and .22 rimfire competitions when I was younger, and I'm a Vet so I know the basics of marksmanship.

I am looking to purchase a .308 rifle and scope for long range shooting out to 1000 yards. I have read through many forums but have yet to make a decision. The purpose of the rifle is punching paper, maybe some hunting, and maybe some form of long range competition shooting in the future. As for a rifle I'm looking at either a savage LE series (don't know which savage le model is the best option though), or a dpms lr308 with a 24in heavy barrel with jp trigger upgrades, compensator ect.

As far as a scope I like the Nightforce NXS with FFP. The glass is really nice, but I want MOA-MOA with a ffp and I dont see anyone selling one with a npr1 recticle. I've never picked up an us optics and looked through it, but it looks good on paper. The Vortex Viper with a FFP, zero stop, lit recticle, for 849 is more in my budget and seems like a deal, but I have never looked through one of them.

Do any of the more experienced long range shooters have a recommendation. Should I choose the savage (Which model maybe?) or dpms? I like the idea of a semi, i just dont know if its needed lol. I want accuracy. My howa 1500 .270 I hunt with shoots 1 moa average at 100 yards, every now and then i get a 3/4, maybe howa is an option? Or is there something better for less than $1500 for a rifle. Do you think Vortex Viper with FFP is a quality scope that will work for my purpose?
Thanks for the input, Silver_Bullet (David)

Re: Wanting a new long range set-up.

Welcome to a new NC member. You have access to one of the best 1000yd ranges in the country at Butner, just above Durham. Best of luck with your choice.

AG

Well, the AR10 platform will take a lot of practice to get to the point where you can drive it consistently. Thats not to question your skill, thats just the way of the gas gun, I have been down that road. Savage makes a fine rifle, out of the box it may be the best "bang" for the buck in that price range. If you go with the AR10 platform, the DPMS LR308 or the 260 Rem offering is the place to look IMO.

As far as optics go, keeping reticle and adjustments, as you chose, is important. I have owned many Nightforce, USO, S&B optics, but never been behind the Vortex. Read some reveiws of the optic to see what others have found, but FFP and all the features the Vortex offers for under 1K, sounds like a good start.

Welcome to the Hide

Kirk R

I don't have near the experience most of the guys do here, but I've really been impressed with my Remington 5R. I didn't have the cash to all out on a custom stick, so after much consideration and review reading, I went with it. I haven't taken it to 1000 yrds just yet, but there's many others who have. So far I'm getting sub .5 moa @ 100 yrds pretty easy with handloads. The only thing that kept me away from the 700 SPS was the slower twist rate. It could use some work with the trigger though.

I can't complain about Savage. They make some shooters.

If you aren't set on the .308, the .260 Rem has some good numbers, its just not chambered in a lot of factory guns. If you're going the custom route though, thats a non issue.

There's lots of ways to get to 1k. Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: asbestosglove</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Welcome to a new NC member. You have access to one of the best 1000yd ranges in the country at Butner, just above Durham. Best of luck with your choice.

AG </div></div>

Thanks. Durham is a pretty good drive though, I live in SE north Carolina right by the SC/NC state line. But it might be worth the 3 1/2 hour trip lol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bunnyblaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't have near the experience most of the guys do here, but I've really been impressed with my Remington 5R. I didn't have the cash to all out on a custom stick, so after much consideration and review reading, I went with it. I haven't taken it to 1000 yrds just yet, but there's many others who have. So far I'm getting sub .5 moa @ 100 yrds pretty easy with handloads. The only thing that kept me away from the 700 SPS was the slower twist rate. It could use some work with the trigger though.

I can't complain about Savage. They make some shooters.

If you aren't set on the .308, the .260 Rem has some good numbers, its just not chambered in a lot of factory guns. If you're going the custom route though, thats a non issue.

There's lots of ways to get to 1k. Good luck.
</div></div>
The reason I'm thinking .308 is because all of the data available for it. I'm going to start reloading also, so anything is an option. Thanks for the suggestion.

I hear good things about the savage f-class. if your budget permits I would go with gap. IMO I like the 308 for the amount of available data , and barrel life is pretty good and you can shoot it all day unlike some magnums .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KRock459</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Well, the AR10 platform will take a lot of practice to get to the point where you can drive it consistently. Thats not to question your skill, thats just the way of the gas gun, I have been down that road. Savage makes a fine rifle, out of the box it may be the best "bang" for the buck in that price range. If you go with the AR10 platform, the DPMS LR308 or the 260 Rem offering is the place to look IMO.

As far as optics go, keeping reticle and adjustments, as you chose, is important. I have owned many Nightforce, USO, S&B optics, but never been behind the Vortex. Read some reveiws of the optic to see what others have found, but FFP and all the features the Vortex offers for under 1K, sounds like a good start.

Welcome to the Hide

Kirk R

</div></div>
Do you think the ar10 platform is more of a risk of being inconsistent since its gas gun, or even prone to problems in the long run?

When I make this purchase, it will probably be a very very long time before I purchase another rifle , so I want to get it right the first time. I would even find some custom builds interesting, I just don't know where to start, that's why I'm looking for a good factory.

I appreciate the feedback. Thanks Silver_Bullet (David)

I am sure that they have come a long way since the old days of the M14 in terms of gas gun. However, if you are pushing 1K for the best accuracy, I would pick a bolt gun over a gas gun on any day. JMHO.

If the range is 800 yards or less, then there are very capable gas gun platform with accuracy that can rival bolt gun. Just saying.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silver_Bullet_00</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Do you think the ar10 platform is more of a risk of being inconsistent since its gas gun, or even prone to problems in the long run?

When I make this purchase, it will probably be a very very long time before I purchase another rifle , so I want to get it right the first time. I would even find some custom builds interesting, I just don't know where to start, that's why I'm looking for a good factory.

I appreciate the feedback. Thanks Silver_Bullet (David) </div></div>

Well, as I mentioned it is a learned skill to shoot the gas gun accurately and consistently, only practice will get you there, but thats the fun part.

There is nothing to worry about when purchasing a gasser VS a bolt gun, no need to worry about that. I have seen factory AR10s go for as many as 10K rounds, and still shoot. Most issues with the AR10 platform is feeding, and can usually be tracked down to load or mags and easily remedied.

Kirk R

Well after a little thought, and having the LR bug LOL, I think I am going to try the Howa Axiom. I like my 1500 lighting in .270 I hunt with, so I guess I'm going to give this one a try in .308 with a 24 inch barrel. I'm a DAV with a right shoulder that's had surgery 3 times, the axiom claims to reduce recoil considerably.

Anyone know a reason I should reconsider before I order one this week? I haven't heard anything bad or seen anything bad posted about them. Has anyone else?

I can always replace the stock barrel later down the road. The trigger is adjustable, as is the stock. Seen one listed for 893.99 and it was camo with a nikko sterling scope that I will take off and put in the closet or sale LOL.

Well, I dont particularly care for the stock design on the Howa Axiom for one, but thats preference. Howa is a fine riflemaker, but one thing to consider is the availability of aftermarket parts, or lack of for the Howa.

Here is something else to consider, if you have a shoulder on the mend, I dont think a 308 would be my choice. If you plan to reload, 243 Win or 260 Rem would give you better long range ballistic performance, as well as significantly less recoil.

A gas gun in the same caliber as a bolt gun will have less perceived recoil, another thing to consider.

Kirk R

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KRock459</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Well, I dont particularly care for the stock design on the Howa Axiom for one, but thats preference. Howa is a fine riflemaker, but one thing to consider is the availability of aftermarket parts, or lack of for the Howa.

Here is something else to consider, if you have a shoulder on the mend, I dont think a 308 would be my choice. If you plan to reload, 243 Win or 260 Rem would give you better long range ballistic performance, as well as significantly less recoil.

A gas gun in the same caliber as a bolt gun will have less perceived recoil, another thing to consider.

Kirk R </div></div>
Dang Krock459 your making me think now, and your right about the after market parts for the howa. Thanks for bringing that up.

If I choose the dpms 24" heavy ss barrel with jp trigger, do you think I should get it threaded for a compensator or will that limit competition shooting? Like I said in the future I might want to try some form of competition. This seems like a good multi-purpose rifle.

Not to throw you back at the Axiom, but if thats what you end up getting, you can get them much cheaper than $850. I saw one on gunbroker for around $700 a couple weeks ago. A buddy of mine is wanting one, so we've been watching. You can also get a barreled action from Howa and place it in whatever stock you wanted if liked that route.

Enjoy the gun research, its half the fun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bunnyblaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to throw you back at the Axiom, but if thats what you end up getting, you can get them much cheaper than $850. I saw one on gunbroker for around $700 a couple weeks ago. A buddy of mine is wanting one, so we've been watching. You can also get a barreled action from Howa and place it in whatever stock you wanted if liked that route.

Enjoy the gun research, its half the fun.
</div></div>
I looked at an axiom this morning at a friends, and the stock feels comfortable, but I didn't get to shoot it. I don't know about the 1:12 twist in the stock howa heavy barrel either. Seems like I would be more suited with 1:10 for what I want to do. Another option is, I could drop a rem 700 in a axiom. The dpms LR308 heavy barrel has lots of options, and I'm really considering one. I might get the lr308 for paper punching and hunting, and if I get serious about competition I'll get a savage f series or really save some money and get a sako trg22 (but thats probably just dreaming at there cost LOL)

I would say a good SPS tactical is a good option. $500 and you have a sub moa shooter. Later on you can change out the barrel. Your gonna want to change the stock though the cheap hogue has a lot of flex which can cause the occasional flyer. Just a cheap beginner option that you can add on to as you get better. ADT.

There are a lot of options in your price bracket.

As a starting point look at the Rem SPS Tac or the SPS Varmint.

They did make a run of the varmint in 7-08, with 145 grain bullets you can beat the trajectory of the .30 168's and with the 168's, you can better the .30's all the way up to 210 grains.

A simple stock swap and some of your own work on the trigger and you would be up and running with the gun for about 800 bucks (B&C light tactical of Choate tactical).

For a little more than that, you can get the Savage LE model in a McMillan stock, you would probably want to glass bed it though.
As far as the MOA/MOA setup, is there any particular reason you won't consider mil/mil?

I have both a Rem SPS tactical and a Savage. The Savage trigger is far more consistent but both shoot extremely well. The really great thing about the Savage is that for a couple of hundred bucks, you can buy all the tools required to change the barrel yourself. You can put a lighter profile barrel on for hunting, or you can change calibers to suit your game.

There is a ton of data available for the .308, but when you stop and consider that for long range shooting, you are only talking about maybe three basic bullet weights 155, 168 and 175 and you must still come up with the data for YOUR rifle and shooting conditions, the amount of data is really a non-issue.
There is plenty of data available and numerous resources to check your data so there is no reason not to consider the 6's, 6.5's and 7's.
To me, the one major advantage of the .308 is the availability of match ammunition on the market. Almost everyone makes two match loads for it.
If you don't want to fiddle with new stocks, tuning a trigger etc... I would recommend either the Savage 10FCP McMillan or the 10FCP HS Precision.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/43534

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/43532

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silver_Bullet_00</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm new to long range shooting. I'm an avid hunter and have taken many deer around 200 yards, but I have never tried a shot beyond 350 yards. I have competed in air rifle and .22 rimfire competitions when I was younger, and I'm a Vet so I know the basics of marksmanship.

I am looking to purchase a .308 rifle and scope for long range shooting out to 1000 yards. I have read through many forums but have yet to make a decision. The purpose of the rifle is punching paper, maybe some hunting, and maybe some form of long range competition shooting in the future. As for a rifle I'm looking at either a savage LE series (don't know which savage le model is the best option though), or a dpms lr308 with a 24in heavy barrel with jp trigger upgrades, compensator ect.
Do any of the more experienced long range shooters have a recommendation. Should I choose the savage (Which model maybe?) or dpms? I like the idea of a semi, i just dont know if its needed lol. (David) </div></div>

Silver Bullet00, I am just getting into long range shooting myself. My first long range rifle ended up being a DPMS LR platform, which I bought because I found a deal on it, and it looked cool. Once I was able to get it to the range, I got the LR bug. I really like the DPMS, and I'm glad I picked it up, but I kind of wished I had started with a bolt rifle. I've been researching various brands and models, and I was all set to go with a Savage 10 FCP in an HS Precision stock, but I found a deal on an HS Precision rifle instead. If I didn't buy that, my pick would definitely have been the Savage.
I have been shooting for about 20 yrs, so I'm not really new to the sport, but I think the bolt action would be a little easier to learn the ropes of LR shooting. With the DPMS, I opted to replace the A-2 stock with a PRS ($230) and the factory trigger leaves a lot to be desired. From what I hear, accuracy is about 1 MOA. With the Savage, you get a more accurate rifle in a good stock, with a great trigger. I don't regret getting the AR, But if I had to do it over, I would have bought the Savage first.
Just my $.02

When I first got started (3 years ago or so), I ended up with the Savage 10 with the choate stock. Most people don't like the choate, but I've found it to be a capable stock, however ugly it may be. Anyway, long story short, I've never regretted making that purchase. Bought it for $560 and it shot .75 Moa with hornady lightMag 168gr match. After getting started reloading I was able to easily cut those groups down to .5 MOA or less. With 175 gr SMKs or 175gr VLDs, it is a very solid .5 MOA shooter. If I were to start over, I would buy the same rifle only with the McMillan Stock.

I should note that I've never owned a Remington or Howa, so I can't compare mine to those. I think you'll be happy with any one of the bolt rifles discussed on this thread as I've heard good things about all of them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are a lot of options in your price bracket.

As a starting point look at the Rem SPS Tac or the SPS Varmint.

They did make a run of the varmint in 7-08, with 145 grain bullets you can beat the trajectory of the .30 168's and with the 168's, you can better the .30's all the way up to 210 grains.

A simple stock swap and some of your own work on the trigger and you would be up and running with the gun for about 800 bucks (B&C light tactical of Choate tactical).

For a little more than that, you can get the Savage LE model in a McMillan stock, you would probably want to glass bed it though.
As far as the MOA/MOA setup, is there any particular reason you won't consider mil/mil?

I have both a Rem SPS tactical and a Savage. The Savage trigger is far more consistent but both shoot extremely well. The really great thing about the Savage is that for a couple of hundred bucks, you can buy all the tools required to change the barrel yourself. You can put a lighter profile barrel on for hunting, or you can change calibers to suit your game.

There is a ton of data available for the .308, but when you stop and consider that for long range shooting, you are only talking about maybe three basic bullet weights 155, 168 and 175 and you must still come up with the data for YOUR rifle and shooting conditions, the amount of data is really a non-issue.
There is plenty of data available and numerous resources to check your data so there is no reason not to consider the 6's, 6.5's and 7's.
To me, the one major advantage of the .308 is the availability of match ammunition on the market. Almost everyone makes two match loads for it.
If you don't want to fiddle with new stocks, tuning a trigger etc... I would recommend either the Savage 10FCP McMillan or the 10FCP HS Precision.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/43534

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/43532
</div></div>
I seriously looked at the Savage LE Mcmillan, and I'm still thinking about it.

As far as MOA vs Mil, I prefer MOA, but I would use Mil also if I found a scope at a good deal. I understand the mil system. If I'm buying a new one though and I have a choice, I just prefer MOA. To me if you have a <span style="font-weight: bold">new</span> bullet and know the inches of drop per 100 yards its easy to figure moa using inches and adding 5%. I do like the Horus recticle which is mil, and I wish there was one like that for MOA. The best MOA I've seen that I like is the Nightforce NPR1. I do have to say, a Horus recticle, my own chronograph and software, would be a nice mil dope setup. The Vortex razor has a mil recticle not as nice, but close to the Horus (it uses small fine dots for windage). I believe I'm leaning toward the Vortex Viper PST FFP, it has a lot of the features I want, and has an affordable price. I just have to figure out what rifle in my price range for less than 1500 I want to put it on LOL.

Thanks for the input!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Semour Gunz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silver_Bullet_00</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm new to long range shooting. I'm an avid hunter and have taken many deer around 200 yards, but I have never tried a shot beyond 350 yards. I have competed in air rifle and .22 rimfire competitions when I was younger, and I'm a Vet so I know the basics of marksmanship.

Do any of the more experienced long range shooters have a recommendation. Should I choose the savage (Which model maybe?) or dpms? I like the idea of a semi, i just dont know if its needed lol. (David) </div></div>

Silver Bullet00, I am just getting into long range shooting myself. My first long range rifle ended up being a DPMS LR platform, which I bought because I found a deal on it, and it looked cool. Once I was able to get it to the range, I got the LR bug. I really like the DPMS, and I'm glad I picked it up, but I kind of wished I had started with a bolt rifle. I've been researching various brands and models, and I was all set to go with a Savage 10 FCP in an HS Precision stock, but I found a deal on an HS Precision rifle instead. If I didn't buy that, my pick would definitely have been the Savage.
I have been shooting for about 20 yrs, so I'm not really new to the sport, but I think the bolt action would be a little easier to learn the ropes of LR shooting. With the DPMS, I opted to replace the A-2 stock with a PRS ($230) and the factory trigger leaves a lot to be desired. From what I hear, accuracy is about 1 MOA. With the Savage, you get a more accurate rifle in a good stock, with a great trigger. I don't regret getting the AR, But if I had to do it over, I would have bought the Savage first.
Just my $.02
</div></div>

Yeah a semi auto sounds cool, and the dpms lr308 looks cool, and I would love to have it! I just wonder if it is practical or needed for what I want to do? A bolt is reliable as they come, but quick follow ups with a semi for hunting purposes seems cool and its a little more tacticaly cool also lol.

Dang Choices Choices

Welcome to the HIDE!

I just picked up a new Savage 10FCP with a Chaote tactical stock from Cabelas. It is a run that Savage did exclusively with Cabelas. The best $700, I have spent for a long time. The gun and scope weighs 13 pounds, which I am not really happy with (mainly due to stock and scope). I fitted it with a 3-point sling and that was solved.

What I am happy with is that with either 168gr Fed Gold Medal's and 175 gr Fed's I can shoot sub .5 moa at 100 yards all day long. Factory Ammo! What!?! Savage guarantees their LE rifles for sub 1 moa accuracy, but everyone I know that has been shooting them have been closer to .5 moa with good ammo.

There are more aftermarket parts for the Remington, but I am sold on the Savage and their Accutrigger. Great gun! Great accuracy! Great Price!

I added on:
Night Force Rings and NXS 3.5x15x56
20 moa base
Karsten adjustable cheek piece
Harris bi-pod 9"-13"
Wilderness 3 point sling.

I am into the gun for less than $2,500.00. What a great stick for the money! Buy the Savage!

Good Luck!
-Nate

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GrimmRoper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Welcome to the HIDE!

I just picked up a new Savage 10FCP with a Chaote tactical stock from Cabelas. It is a run that Savage did exclusively with Cabelas. The best $700, I have spent for a long time. The gun and scope weighs 13 pounds, which I am not really happy with (mainly due to stock and scope). I fitted it with a 3-point sling and that was solved.

What I am happy with is that with either 168gr Fed Gold Medal's and 175 gr Fed's I can shoot sub .5 moa at 100 yards all day long. Factory Ammo! What!?! Savage guarantees their LE rifles for sub 1 moa accuracy, but everyone I know that has been shooting them have been closer to .5 moa with good ammo.

There are more aftermarket parts for the Remington, but I am sold on the Savage and their Accutrigger. Great gun! Great accuracy! Great Price!

I added on:
Night Force Rings and NXS 3.5x15x56
20 moa base
Karsten adjustable cheek piece
Harris bi-pod 9"-13"
Wilderness 3 point sling.

I am into the gun for less than $2,500.00. What a great stick for the money! Buy the Savage!

Good Luck!
-Nate </div></div>
I have read on some other forums that the cabellas model Savage Chaote tactical had to much flex in the stock. Heck but with you getting .5 moa it cant be too flexible!

I have a Savage 10 FCPHSLE, and use it in Mid Range F T/R. I load it will 155 grain Scenars Lapua's, 175 matchkings, 185 grain Scenar Lapuas. All with smoke'in results. Savage has the best bang for the buck. With the floating bolt design, no money has to be spent on truing, and lapping. Don't get me wrong I have Remington's 700's. But just use them for hunting. My Savage is my competition rig. Allot of guy's talk smack about Savage's . I think it's because they spend so much money trying to get a gun shooting right. They should have just bought a Savage. The last match, I shot on March 6th. I shot a 94-3x, some of the F open guy's with $6000.00 rigs shot 85's - 96. Bottom line is just because you have a $6000.00 dollar rifle or more, it doesn't make you a shooter. You still have to ready the shooting conditions. Just my 2 cents... Come on Savage bashers, let me here it. I know you are get upset, just face it, a factory rifle, with a factory barrel and good glass, we are coming to get you!

Spotter300

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spotter300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Savage 10 FCPHSLE, and use it in Mid Range F T/R. I load it will 155 grain Scenars Lapua's, 175 matchkings, 185 grain Scenar Lapuas. All with smoke'in results. Savage has the best bang for the buck. With the floating bolt design, no money has to be spent on truing, and lapping. Don't get me wrong I have Remington's 700's. But just use them for hunting. My Savage is my competition rig. Allot of guy's talk smack about Savage's . I think it's because they spend so much money trying to get a gun shooting right. They should have just bought a Savage. The last match, I shot on March 6th. I shot a 94-3x, some of the F open guy's with $6000.00 rigs shot 85's - 96. Bottom line is just because you have a $6000.00 dollar rifle or more, it doesn't make you a shooter. You still have to ready the shooting conditions. Just my 2 cents... Come on Savage bashers, let me here it. I know you are get upset, just face it, a factory rifle, with a factory barrel and good glass, we are coming to get you!

Spotter300 </div></div>

I agree with you that savage is good bang for the buck. I have never owned one, but know many people that do, and I've witnessed the accuracy they are capable of. My main hunting rifle is a howa 1500 .270, another good bang for the buck. I'm still considering ordering a savage LE model though.

[/quote]
I have read on some other forums that the cabellas model Savage Chaote tactical had to much flex in the stock. Heck but with you getting .5 moa it cant be too flexible![/quote]
This is another one of those situations where someone may have posted with no first hand knowledge.
I have two different Choate stocks, the ultimate varmint on my Savage model 12 and the new tactical on my SPS tac.
BOTH are rock solid and there is no flex. Can you force the forend to flex? Sure, you can do that to almost any stock made. Maybe not a chasis system, but any conventional stock design can be forced.
Both the varmint and the tactical have full length aluminum bedding blocks and are quite serviceable. They are heavy and nearly bullet proof. The new tactical is quite a bit lighter than the varmint stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> </div></div>
I have read on some other forums that the cabellas model Savage Chaote tactical had to much flex in the stock. Heck but with you getting .5 moa it cant be too flexible![/quote]
This is another one of those situations where someone may have posted with no first hand knowledge.
I have two different Choate stocks, the ultimate varmint on my Savage model 12 and the new tactical on my SPS tac.
BOTH are rock solid and there is no flex. Can you force the forend to flex? Sure, you can do that to almost any stock made. Maybe not a chasis system, but any conventional stock design can be forced.
Both the varmint and the tactical have full length aluminum bedding blocks and are quite serviceable. They are heavy and nearly bullet proof. The new tactical is quite a bit lighter than the varmint stock. [/quote]

Yes your exactly right. The poster had never fired the rifle. He only inspected it in the store.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silver_Bullet_00</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Semour Gunz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silver_Bullet_00</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm new to long range shooting. I'm an avid hunter and have taken many deer around 200 yards, but I have never tried a shot beyond 350 yards. I have competed in air rifle and .22 rimfire competitions when I was younger, and I'm a Vet so I know the basics of marksmanship.

Just my $.02
</div></div>

Yeah a semi auto sounds cool, and the dpms lr308 looks cool, and I would love to have it! I just wonder if it is practical or needed for what I want to do? A bolt is reliable as they come, but quick follow ups with a semi for hunting purposes seems cool and its a little more tacticaly cool also lol.

Dang Choices Choices </div></div>

Look at it this way: Whichever one you decide to get, once you have it, you'll start dreaming about how to get the othe one as soon as possible. That's what happened to me. First I bought an AR-15. as soon as I had that, I started thinking "bigger" with more power and longer range. Then I ended up getting the DPMS in 300 Rem SA ultra mag. Lots of power! I thought that would hold me for a while...Wrong!
No sooner did I get that zeroed in, I had a very persistent bolt action craving that just wouldn't go away until I bought one. Now I'm waiting patiently for my Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 to hit the States (for the HS Precision). Once I have that, I should be all set untill I find the next thing I can't live without.
The bottom line is this: You don't have to decide which rifle to buy, you just have to decide which one to buy first. then start saving for the next.
Good Luck

I would suggest the new Savage 10FCP-K for $893 list. It wears a Heavy Barrel with a decent length, Accu-trigger, Accu-Stock, Detachable Magazine, and the Savage Muzzle Brake, which, if memory serves, can be turned off and on, in case match rules forbid them.

IMHO, there's very little that one might need to change. With a weight of 8.9lb in the .308 chambering, it's stout enough for target work without being excessively heavy for all but the really longer, steeper hunts. The stock is well configured for hunting, yet embodies the cutting edge in accuracy features.

I think it's a newcomer with a bright future.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silver_Bullet_00</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spotter300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Savage 10 FCPHSLE, and use it in Mid Range F T/R. I load it will 155 grain Scenars Lapua's, 175 matchkings, 185 grain Scenar Lapuas. All with smoke'in results. Savage has the best bang for the buck. With the floating bolt design, no money has to be spent on truing, and lapping. Don't get me wrong I have Remington's 700's. But just use them for hunting. My Savage is my competition rig. Allot of guy's talk smack about Savage's . I think it's because they spend so much money trying to get a gun shooting right. They should have just bought a Savage. The last match, I shot on March 6th. I shot a 94-3x, some of the F open guy's with $6000.00 rigs shot 85's - 96. Bottom line is just because you have a $6000.00 dollar rifle or more, it doesn't make you a shooter. You still have to ready the shooting conditions. Just my 2 cents... Come on Savage bashers, let me here it. I know you are get upset, just face it, a factory rifle, with a factory barrel and good glass, we are coming to get you!

Spotter300 </div></div>

I agree with you that savage is good bang for the buck. I have never owned one, but know many people that do, and I've witnessed the accuracy they are capable of. My main hunting rifle is a howa 1500 .270, another good bang for the buck. I'm still considering ordering a savage LE model though. </div></div>

Well if you get one, make sure you get the 10 FCP HS Precision or the 10 FCP McMillan , no flex in these stocks... Buy one and don't look back. Start hammering the paper with it. You will like it.

This is what I am shooting comps with. http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/10FCPHS

I think you would probably have more fun w/the DPMS, and it's just as accurate (if not more so) than the Salvage. I say that jokingly becuase all of my bolt guns - except for the FN - are Savs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would suggest the new Savage 10FCP-K for $893 list. It wears a Heavy Barrel with a decent length, Accu-trigger, Accu-Stock, Detachable Magazine, and the Savage Muzzle Brake, which, if memory serves, can be turned off and on, in case match rules forbid them.

IMHO, there's very little that one might need to change. With a weight of 8.9lb in the .308 chambering, it's stout enough for target work without being excessively heavy for all but the really longer, steeper hunts. The stock is well configured for hunting, yet embodies the cutting edge in accuracy features.

I think it's a newcomer with a bright future.

Greg

</div></div>

Interesting, if the muzzle brake can be turned off and on that would be nice.

My question is Is the Accu-stock as nice as the McMillan? Would I be better off with the accu-stock which I wouldn't have to bed, or should I glass bed a McMillan? Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I tried on the accu-stock for size, and find I did not like it anywhere NEAR as much as the McMillan. here's a picture of my two of the 5 savages I have owned.

Both are tack drivers..
TD_sav_comp-1.jpg

TD_sav_comp-1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silver_Bullet_00</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Semour Gunz, I hate to admit it, but your probably 100% right LOL. I like the way you think, but my wife want. </div></div>

I guess I'm lucky. My wife doesn't know the first thing about guns. Until a week ago, she thought my Bushmaster 16" AR15 and my DPMS LR-30s were the same rifle. The only reson she figured out I bought another one is that she saw them both side by side. Mine got over it, your's will too. Just explain to her that the more guns you have, the better you will be able to protect her when the zombies come!

You do not have to bed the accustock. As a matter of fact, it would be quite difficult to do so. You do not have to bed the HS precision either, as it has a full length aluminum bedding block. Most recommend bedding the McMillan stocks, indeed, accuracy usually gets better when you do. It is one of the things I don't like about the McMillian. For the money they get, it should not need to be bedded (personal opinion).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You do not have to bed the accustock. As a matter of fact, it would be quite difficult to do so. You do not have to bed the HS precision either, as it has a full length aluminum bedding block. Most recommend bedding the McMillan stocks, indeed, accuracy usually gets better when you do. It is one of the things I don't like about the McMillian. For the money they get, it should not need to be bedded (personal opinion). </div></div>

MY question basically was would I be better to purchase the one with aluminum bedding, or get the McMillan and bed it? Is the McMillian that much better than the accustock?

Has anyone shot both of these that has an opinion?

Very Nice rifles GlockandRoll. I like em. What stock is the adjustable and folding one with pistol grip? Is it the 10 FP Folding Choate. Do you like it just as good as the more traditional one?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silver_Bullet_00</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very Nice rifles GlockandRoll. I like em. What stock is the adjustable and folding one with pistol grip? Is it the 10 FP Folding Choate. Do you like it just as good as the more traditional one? </div></div>

Thanks, it is a factory folding choate, like it better than the non-folding one, accuracy is same either way.

I consider the difference between previous Savage factory stocks and McMillan stock to be the same as the difference between canned tuna and caviar. With the emergence of the Accu-Stock, I would upgrade the Savage to Lox status. Nice, but the McMillan's still better.

I think that the AccuStock's accuracy advance makes the price tradeoff a very close thing. The real advantage to the McMillan is its practical indestructability. I would favor at least giving the AccuStock a fair chance to show it's colors.

Then, there's the McMillan Tactical Hunter stock...

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I consider the difference between previous Savage factory stocks and McMillan stock to be the same as the difference between canned tuna and caviar. With the emergence of the Accu-Stock, I would upgrade the Savage to Lox status. Nice, but the McMillan's still better.

I think that the AccuStock's accuracy advance makes the price tradeoff a very close thing. The real advantage to the McMillan is its practical indestructability. I would favor at least giving the AccuStock a fair chance to show it's colors.

Then, there's the McMillan Tactical Hunter stock...

Greg </div></div>

Good comparison with canned tuna and caviar lol!

I'm going to order one Saturday, and I think its going to be the Savage with McMillan. My brain tells me to get a Savage, but that wild wire up my a** wants a DPMS 308LR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Dang Choices Choices </div></div>

I have 2 rifles and only one scope (for now):

2lw3sp2.jpg

30mtzs1.jpg

Look which one gets the scope.