• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Wanting a shoulder holster, but have no experience.

Xshot

Private
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2009
Evansville, WI
Tired of IWB & OWB holster(s) discomfort and hangups while driving long distances. Also, I frequently leave my CCW home when I ride my Road Glide and that bugs me. So I'm considering a shoulder holster, but I don't have any practical experience. I know the draw technique is considerably different and proficiency will need to be developed.

I'm drawn to the horizontal holster vs the vertical, but again don't know the pro's and con's between the to carry positions.

I would consider carrying a full size pistol with such a rig, rather than any of my small framed CCW firearms, which I consider a bonus.

Firearm of choice would be a CZ Combat. I don't think concealability will be an issue, since I frequently wear a wind breaker or jacket.

What says the Hide?

IWB -OWB - Shoulder harness . it like any holster they all have plus/minus attached . a well made shoulder holster still needs break-in and you need to get it adj. to fit your body, as well as your body needs get used to the wear pattern of it hanging . Also they do conceal full-size good, but the smaller-lightweight frames are always more comfortable to carry . Carry a full size pistol in a Shoulder harness or 8-12 hours a day and you start to feel it .

( Full size and weight for carry ) . hanging on shoulder harness set-up . my preference I would choose a more Vertcal hanging 'position angle' , rather than a Horizontal Flat-Side . It is a lot more secure and a full size carry will move around a lot more being on the flat Horizontal position . Better having it on a more aggressive Vert. tilt position than a flat-side .
For Compacts and shoulder harness, I wold move to a Flat-side horizontal. position on the holster .

Shoulder harness set-ups have been around long time, so there is a need/purpose . I do have a nice Akers, well broke-in with 'many month's on it, and it is a flat-side . Of all the holsters I have the shoulder gets least use .
I carry the most in a IWB Galco Kingtuks .

There was a time when I used a shoulder rig to carry a compact pistol. I spent the time to fully adjust the rig & wore it as required. To say that it was uncomfortable would be an understatement. It sucked. A lot. My back was a mess. I went back to carrying on my duty belt. It’s muscle memory & one less thing to learn. More importantly it’s a training scar that doesn’t need to happen.

If this is a job requirement I get it; if this is for concealment, find a holster that works for you. I was issued the shoulder holster & gave it a chance. It was so uncomfortable I couldn’t stand using it.

Reactions: Dan M
I hated mine. Uncomfortable and it doesn't conceal that well and it definitely doesn't draw worth a shit. Luckily it was for a Beretta and it was a Galco rig so it sold pretty quick with no loss to some officer or POG about to deploy.

Milt Sparks VM2 IWB rig, only way to go. With the right belt and a G27, it's damn hard to beat. Been using that same rig for 13 years, I have others but I don't really ever use 'em. A good gun belt is crucial to carry, as important as the holster really.

When I was doing fulltime PSD work I carried my duty Glock in a Galco Miami Classic. As Waterwalker stated...I took the time to fully adjust it. With all the other shit we had to carry I needed to get something off the gunbelt. I prefer strong side OWB carry, but in a suit and working from a motorcade it is easier to draw from a shoulder holster... drawing from SS seated in a car sucks. Haven't worn it in years and actually had to search for it for a detail.

Tired of IWB & OWB holster(s) discomfort and hangups while driving long distances. Also, I frequently leave my CCW home when I ride my Road Glide and that bugs me. So I'm considering a shoulder holster, but I don't have any practical experience. I know the draw technique is considerably different and proficiency will need to be developed.

Firearm of choice would be a CZ Combat. I don't think concealability will be an issue, since I frequently wear a wind breaker or jacket.

What says the Hide?

Since you state you will typically be wearing a jacket as a concealment garment and you principally want this for carry in a vehicle or on a motorcycle I'd suggest looking at the Kenai chest rig. I got one to carry my M&P Compact while hiking with a backpack and for wearing on extended drives. So far I am very happy with my purchase and have found the holster rig to be very comfortable to wear for extended periods, quite concealable with a jacket, and the draw is fairly simple. I also recommend getting the extra magazine holder pouch to carry a spare mag. It's fairly easy to reload from with a little practice and you barely notice it attached to the overall chest rig.