• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision wanting to add night vision and thermal to multiple rifles

spotswood

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2009
Florida
Can you guys help me out with my options.
I have ashore barrel AR15 with an Acog 4x32 and a 20 inch heavy barrel with a schmidt and bender 4 x 16 x 50 for longer shooting. I also have a AI/AW 7.62 with a schmidt and bender 5 x 25 x 56.
I would like to have night vision and thermal capability for all of them.
My impression is that I could add a Flir such as a T75 or a Mil Sight S140 D Aduns or S150 D duns and move it from rifle to rifle as needed and retain my day optics optics. I am not sure how they all differ.
I think another option may be to go with an ATN Thor 640 2.5 or 1.5 which I think I would still use my schmidt and bender optics.
Can someone explain the difference and what is the best option. I love my schmidt and bender optics quality and do not want to compromise that if possible. I would also like the ability to use the night vision/thermal as a hand held viewer when walking in to areas.
I have never used IR or any kind of helmet rig. In actuality I have never used infra red or night vision on my rifles but would like to. The Acog I use out to 300 yards, the long barrel AR out to around 600 and the 7.62 out to 1000 yards so I would want to keep the ability to shot to those ranges.
Is it possible with these units and can someone explain the differences between them all.
thanks
Gary

I have some Armasight options for thermal and I2 clip on's that may intrest you. I sell the 640 Apollo on the Hide for $7,944. It is a really capable thermal clip on with some unique features that you can use in conjunction with your day scope. There are several options in the night vision clip on realm that will work for you as well. Feel free to PM, email, or call if I can answer any questions for you on them. Thanks Gary!

If you are looking for the ability to be able to mount and switch being multiple rifles, without ditching the daytime optics, clip ons are going to be your only option. For the ranges your rifles are capable of engaging, any of these three listed below will work just fine with any of the rifles you have listed in your post.

S140 D ADUNS is a dual band clip on sight. Meaning, thermal and image intensification (I2). 6x-15x capable. Useful ranges of 1,000+ meters. 640x512 detector, 30hz system. 8.8 degree FOV.

S150 D DUNS is a dual band clip on sight. Works well in front of 6x – 15x typically. Ideal for long range weapons, with useful ranges out to 800+ meters. 640x512 detector, 30hz system. 8.8 degree FOV.

T75 is a thermal only clip on, that can also be used as a stand alone scope , and if needed, can be used in a handheld fashion. It is optimized for use with day scopes up to 12x, but can be used up to 15x, without much loss of image fidelity. 640×512 sensor. optimized for long range use with an approximate 875 yard identification range. 30hz refresh rate.

I can not speak on the technical aspects or the performance of the ATN Thor, because we do not carry ATN products.

Can you guys help me out with my options.
I have ashore barrel AR15 with an Acog 4x32 and a 20 inch heavy barrel with a schmidt and bender 4 x 16 x 50 for longer shooting. I also have a AI/AW 7.62 with a schmidt and bender 5 x 25 x 56.
I would like to have night vision and thermal capability for all of them.
My impression is that I could add a Flir such as a T75 or a Mil Sight S140 D Aduns or S150 D duns and move it from rifle to rifle as needed and retain my day optics optics. I am not sure how they all differ.
I think another option may be to go with an ATN Thor 640 2.5 or 1.5 which I think I would still use my schmidt and bender optics.
Can someone explain the difference and what is the best option. I love my schmidt and bender optics quality and do not want to compromise that if possible. I would also like the ability to use the night vision/thermal as a hand held viewer when walking in to areas.
I have never used IR or any kind of helmet rig. In actuality I have never used infra red or night vision on my rifles but would like to. The Acog I use out to 300 yards, the long barrel AR out to around 600 and the 7.62 out to 1000 yards so I would want to keep the ability to shot to those ranges.
Is it possible with these units and can someone explain the differences between them all.
thanks
Gary

Hi Gary, we are a full fledged FLIR Govy Channel Partner for the T-75, T-70's, as well as the A-Duns an amazing system you can see here S140-D & T130-D ADUNS - FLIR® Detection & Protection - Full Spectrum Technologies for Homeland Security & Force Protection which is a "Hybrid" system where the T-70, T-75's are strictly a thermal only system. The A-Duns is also a restricted unit we cannot sell to the commercial market except for LE/Mil/Govy entities. This is a restriction from FLIR, not us and I wish we could sell this marvel of technology.

Note that the whole FLIR government line of scopes are rated up to and including a .50bmg and are all made in the America at their Pittsburgh Facility (soon to be located in Boston).

Your S&B scope will work just fine with the listed optics, thermal is not so dependent on the quality of day optics as pure NV is, such as the PVS-22 and or/the FLIR PVS-27's NV clip-on systems or the CNVD/LR. Both the 27 and the CNVD/LR are long range NV clip-on systems. In the extreme long range thermal Dept. the new T-75 will get you out there with 8-10x magnification FLIR T75 Advanced Combat Thermal Sight ? Long Range ? Tactical Night Vision Company while the grand daddy CNVD-T3 L3 CNVD-T3 ? Tactical Night Vision Company will get you out there with 12x magnification ranges with great results.

All these devices are TRULY Mil-Spec devices, all made in America and are the toughest battle proven devices out there money can buy. Give us a call to go over what your exact requirements are, we are NV trainers and educators first.

Vic

This is a open question to the night vision vendors. I assume you have all seen the videos that Texas Lawman has posted of his sounder annihilation. How do you record video and shoot at the same time? Which units can do this? What else do you need to record the video?

This is a open question to the night vision vendors. I assume you have all seen the videos that Texas Lawman has posted of his sounder annihilation. How do you record video and shoot at the same time? Which units can do this? What else do you need to record the video?
Most thermals can record as long as they have a video out. Getting the cables for some units can be problematic, but others come with a cable. Simply press record on your DVR and it will record.

Thank You, Delta4-3 does the 640 Apollo include video out and a cable?

\

All thermal weapons scopes and clip-ons by all manufacturers are all thermal video cameras and therefore can tap into their video feed for recording.

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night Vision/FLIR T70/8 Hogs.mp4

OP, the vendors will give you one perspective ... shooters might give you another.

I too want to be able to use NV and Thermal on my 4 active rifles, two bolt guns and two gas guns. A key factor that is rarely mentioned is the length of the clip-on in conjunction with the day scope and how that will lay out on your rifle and still give you the eye relief you want on one end and not be hanging out over the gas ports of your muzzle device on the other end and how you will mount it all. So I would suggest spending plenty of time measuring everything and thinking about lengths and mountings. Existing rings may not be the right height to line up with the clipons, so worst case, you might need new scope mounts. Existing rail space may not be sufficient requiring different rail sections. So, my input is don't completely ignore this area or else you may find yourself spending a few hundred in unplanned dollars to address these issues. The clipons that work with high magnification day scopes must be longer than the clipons that work with lower magnification day scopes. In my setups, 20 inches of usable rail space is consumed by some combinations. One of my rifles only has 14.25 inches of usable rail space.

You make an excellent point regarding rails and space.
I already assumed and noted that I have no rail space in front of my mounts for all my rifles.
My short barrel carbine I figured I will have to change my round for end to a rail type. I have a small flat top with a built in rail on the receiver. which I use a Larue quick detachable mount for my Acog.
My 20 inch aluminum free floating for end on my heavy barrel AR I will have to change also as it has a short integral rail in the receiver which I use a quick detachable mount for the schmidt.
My AI I remember them offering an extended rail accessory but I only have about 9 inches of barrel in front of my 5x25 schmidt scope as it is a 20 inch barrel.
I anticipate a lot of remounting and reworking for ends and scope mounts.
I do not have rails all over my guns like the ones built now.

I have plenty of rail space on all my 7.62s and 5.56s for everything.

SIG%20716%20T70%20Can.jpg

SIG%20556%20T70%20XMag.jpg

Definitely looks like plenty!

Not so much in my cases ...