• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wanting to build a LR rifle from an AR

AR308

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2009
Nashville, TN
I got tired of feeling like I am the only one without an AR working at my Guard base. I work there full time and everyone is always talking about it and I can't take it anymore! So I recently bought a DPMS LR-308 lower receiver from a local shop and I started my voyage towards AR bliss. Unfortunately I couldn't have picked a worse time to do this and prices are outrageous if I plan on actually building a rifle before 2010. After paying double the price for a LPK, I now realize that this is going to be an expensive adventure. But in my opinion, worth it. So I'm a complete newb and I'd like to tap on the experience on this site. I'm wanting to built my first to be for range use and I want to make sure that the thing runs like grease lightning.

My first order of business it to get the lower built complete and ready for the upper. So I've been told that I should look at 2 stage match triggers like the RRA. Any recommendations on this?

Are there any parts in the LPK that I should upgrade other than the trigger assembly?

I'm planning on getting the DPMS tactical grip and the Magpul PRC-308. Any problems with these products?

Once I get all this stuff together, I'm going to start working on piecing together an upper.

Thanks for the help!

Re: Wanting to build a LR rifle from an AR

Giessele makes the best AR 2-stages. That is what will eventually go in my AR-10.

Currently I have an Armalite 2-stage and it's crazy heavy even on the lightest setting.

LOL, ouch. I was hoping that wasn't going to be the direction I was pointed. But Oh, well. I asked. Which one should I get with? I've found a couple of different combinations.

This one
* First Stage: 3.2 to 5 pounds (4 pounds nominal)
* Second Stage: 0.5 to 1.5 pounds
and this one
* First Stage: 1.3 to 2 pounds (2 pounds nominal)
* Second Stage: 0.25 to 0.89 pounds (4-14 ounces)

Remember, I'm a beginner trying to get into the sport. The extent of my rifle shooting has been limited to qualifying days in the military.

Any thing else in the lower that I should consider upgrading?

I would go with the Service Rifle version (3.2-5lb first stage and)

I don't like crazy light triggers on a gas gun, but that's my personal preference. I feel that the quality of the pull is more important than the weight (to an extent).

Sounds like good advice to me. It's actually not to much more than the RRA trigger I was looking at. I was originally looking at a sight that was selling them for 350 but it looks like I can get one for about 270.

I really prefer drop in complete Jewell triggers myself. I just put a 4.5lb in an entry carbine AR-15 and it breaks so cleanly. I havn't checked to see if the triggers designed for ar-15's drop into Ar-10's ( 308) but I assume they do? You can get lighter poundage than the 4.5lb and I would get something like a 2.5- 3lb for a more precision rifle AR. Good luck with the build...SmokeRolls

The buffer and spring seem to be a big deal when building a rifle and there are different spring rates available. For my needs, what do you guys think will be the best option?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would go with the Service Rifle version (3.2-5lb first stage and)

I don't like crazy light triggers on a gas gun, but that's my personal preference. I feel that the quality of the pull is more important than the weight (to an extent).

</div></div>

Back to this question. Are there certain ones for the .308s? I can't find any that say they're for the dpms receiver or .308 receivers. Also, does anyone know whether I'll need the small pin or large pin since I have the dpms receiver???

Buy some trigger springs and a recording trigger pull gauge and learn to finesse your trigger.

About all you need is a quality chambered stainless or chrome-moly barrel and a float tube. Even a stock trigger can be managed, and likely will improve as you shoot it. Not impossible to get a 5lb trigger that is very manageable.

You want a longrange AR? You need enough twist to stabilize the heavier bullets.

Spend your money on a good barrel and learn what works before you buy. This site is not much when it comes to discussion for AR-15 rifles. A well tuned AR will outshoot a bolt rifle of the same chambering in most venues.

checkout www.6mmAR.com if you want to glimpse what goes into a 1000yd AR. Google up White Oak Precision, Compass Lake Engineering, Northern Competition, Satern gunworks, and Zediker Publishing.

Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheSmokeRolls</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wait for it..........SmokeRolls </div></div>

Wait for what? Do you mean they are in the process of making a trigger assembly for the .308 lwr?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AR308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheSmokeRolls</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wait for it..........SmokeRolls </div></div>

Wait for what? Do you mean they are in the process of making a trigger assembly for the .308 lwr? </div></div>

Don't worry AR308, I don't think it was directed towards you. Stick around a bit and you'll see what smokerolls was talking about.

There is a wealth of AR info on this site, especially when compaired to others that are quite popular. Here you will find less BS to wade through.

My $.02 is go with the Geisselle if you want a 2 stage. I've got a couple and they're excellent.

AR308

Take a look at Timney Triggers. They make one for the AR-10 and the ones I have seen are either 3lbs or 4lbs pull. Its a drop in trigger and really easy to install in the DPMS receiver. You can also adjust it some more to your liking.

+1 on Geisselle and Mr. Geisselle is excellent to work with. He really help me at the National Mtches, even when he was VERY busy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bsp212</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AR308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheSmokeRolls</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wait for it..........SmokeRolls </div></div>

Wait for what? Do you mean they are in the process of making a trigger assembly for the .308 lwr? </div></div>

Don't worry AR308, I don't think it was directed towards you. Stick around a bit and you'll see what smokerolls was talking about.

There is a wealth of AR info on this site, especially when compaired to others that are quite popular. Here you will find less BS to wade through.

My $.02 is go with the Geisselle if you want a 2 stage. I've got a couple and they're excellent. </div></div>

Got ya.

I'm pretty sure that I'm going to go with the Geissele SSA as long as I won't have problems installing it.

However I'm going to do some research first on that Timney Triggers that you recommended dv.

The only other trigger that I've been considering is a white oak modified rra.

The WOA RR 2-stage has a good rep as well - kind of a less expensive alternative to the Geissele. I wouldn't hesitate to go with that one, Hollinger knows his stuff.

The ONLY Timney I have experience with was in a 1917 surplus rifle that was sporterized. It was a good feeling trigger.