• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

wanting to build another rifle not sure on cal...

chriso

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 14, 2008
California
So I'm wanting to build another rifle on a rem 700 action I want something that will reach out past my .308 with ease I was considering 300WM or maybe a 7WSM. It will be for paper maybe the occasional deer but mostly paper I reload as well... any other good calibers or suggestions maybe feelings on 7mm wsm or anything any input would be appreciated...

Re: wanting to build another rifle not sure on cal...

I've always thought the 7WSM to be a interesting cartridge. I'd like to give it a try one day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">7WSM! </div></div>

I'm curious as to your reasons. I have a .308 and a 30-06, and have never shot a 338, 7WSM, 300WM, or any other larger bullet (with the exception of .40 and .50 muzzleloaders). There's a whole heck of a lot I don't know about the larger cartridges, or some of the smaller ones, for instance the many flavors beginning with .2.

Probably because of it's ballistics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Probably because of it's ballistics. </div></div>

Yup!!! With the new high BC bullets available for the 7, it will have no problems keeping up with a .338 Lapua for a lot less per round and much less recoil.

So the 7wsm is that much of a performer??? I did not expect it to be able to keep up with a .338 LM what about regular 7mm magnum???

No need to go to a 7mag when the WSM will send those 180gr pills at over 3k. Just wasting extra powder if you ask me. Plus the WSM uses a short action, which is a plus.

True haha man this sucks I just sold a never fire sps in 7wsm to my brother a couple months ago if only I knew I could have saved the action...

The RM and WSM are pretty close to one another in powder charge and in how much speed you can get out of them. The 7mm Magnums have the BC, speed and a variety of other things going for them to make it worth looking into. Without going into wildcats, they are extremely hard to beat.

Well I think I'm going to do a 7mm wsm sounds like a fun gun and I want to take my LR game to the next level and don't feel like shelling out the extra money for a .338 it will probably end up with a rock barrel and a a hs precision adj lop stock on it just like my .308 maybe a sn3-t pal for this one I've been dying to see what all the hot fuss is about haha!!!

There are several really good rounds that perform well at longer ranges. To give you some food for thought, if you define the terminal ballistics you require, you'll narrow the number of possible rounds that will meet your needs.

Hope it's something that will drop a 350 lb zombie!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chriso</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I think I'm going to do a 7mm wsm sounds like a fun gun and I want to take my LR game to the next level and don't feel like shelling out the extra money for a .338 it will probably end up with a rock barrel and a a hs precision adj lop stock on it just like my .308 maybe a sn3-t pal for this one I've been dying to see what all the hot fuss is about haha!!! </div></div>

Good choice. Im picking up my Surgeon WSM action tomorrow, I have a fluted Rock 7mm barrel on order, should get here sometime in June (I hope) and I already have all of the other stuff ready to go for the build (AICS 1.5 stock, AcurateMag WSM magazine, Timney trigger, Badger Thruster brake) I hope it will be ready to rock sometime in August.

Re: wanting to build another rifle not sure on cal

Kinda like how a 284 win compares to a 300 WSM.