• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Wanting to build my first Savage and have question

Sidk

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2009
Vegas
Looking at building a Savage 243, possibly a 243ai. I'm also looking at the B&C 2997 Tactical stock. Can this stock be inletted to use magazines?

Someone has a 110 long action listed parts gun in "guns for sale". Could I use that? I could always rechamber it to say a 338 if I don't like it as the 243.

One thing I don't like about the B&C Stock(I own one for a 700), its as heavy as a brick of lead. Any other suggestions in the stock dept. for a tactical prone style shooting?

Re: Wanting to build my first Savage and have question

Ok I see a long action will work just fine.

If you're going to build a Savage from the action up, this is a good one to get:

http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread...Varmint-Actions

I got one from when it was still an official offering. You can also try to find a Stevens 200 but they are all blued and you'll need a new trigger anyways.

In any event I recommend replacing the factory recoil lug with aftermarket.

All you need is to add an aftermarket recoil lug and you should be all set.

As for stocks, try any of the Manners with a 90% carbon fill. I have a Savage with a MCS-T with the 90% fill, and even with a 24" varmint contour barrel (~0.820 at muzzle) it's not too heavy and decently balanced.

Jeff @ CDI can inlet the B&C A2 Medalist for his DBM...I used to own two (one staggerfeed SA, one centerfeed SA) and they worked great.

Yes, a 110 long action will work with any .473-based chambering. The first Savage I built was a 260 on an older 110 long action that originally was a 270 and the 260 fed very well from the long action blind magazine.

If you happen to get an older 110 long action that is staggerfeed (magazine attached to the action, flat rear of the action) then you could opt for the Bell & Carlson Duramaxx stock; its about $100 and isn't quite as good as a Medalist but a hell of a lot better than a factory stock, especially once you bed it.

Otherwise...Manners & McMillan both make Savage stocks.

I ain't building this gun.... It'a going to Chad or one of the other top smiths here. I'm just in design mode then parts acquisition.

Thanks for the link nhm16, I'll give it a read.

I don't see a mag attached to the action in the pic so it looks like its single feed.

Great help guys thanks

Maybe this will help with stock choices. I lay in prone either on a voodoo mat and bipod, or in the dirt. Right now we have lots of vegetation because of the rain and the gun and I will be laying in it and shooting through it. I usually don't move around once I'm set but I do want that option in case I need to.

I bought the 110. So now on to design.

Really no need to have a smith work on a Savage. Just get a barrel wrench and action vise.

As for stocks, your best bet is a Manners or McMillan. The other aftermarket stocks for Savages tend to be heavy. I'm not sure how the chassis systems stack up in terms of weight.

I understand that I could build it myself. I own a mill and make parts for my 700's. I want one with that Chad touch, You know, painted and all, everything perfect.

243 is a short action recievr and any synthetic stock that has the width should be able to be modified by a competent gunsmith
fare warning its a lot of work, and time consuming.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sin City Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want one with that Chad touch, You know, painted and all, everything perfect. </div></div>

And you are starting with a savage action?
That's the least perfect part of the whole package...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2156SMK</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sin City Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I want one with that Chad touch, You know, painted and all, everything perfect. </div></div>

And you are starting with a savage action?
That's the least perfect part of the whole package... </div></div>

Huh? Could you explain please?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sin City Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Huh? Could you explain please? </div></div>

Not really, It's been hashed out before.
Just read all the various savage vs. remington threads on here...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Gunsmith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">243 is a short action recievr and any synthetic stock that has the width should be able to be modified by a competent gunsmith
fare warning its a lot of work, and time consuming. </div></div>

I like the Manners T4a in long action. So no need to make a custom.

I've also been thinking of maybe other chambering say 6.5 creedmore. I like the 243 because I already have one so I don't have to buy a bunch of reloading dies and parts I've always wanted a 338 but I don't want the expense of the reloading components. I've got plenty of time. I've got a 700 to get done before this one is started. Just looking for ideas.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2156SMK</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sin City Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Huh? Could you explain please? </div></div>

Just read all the various savage vs. remington threads on here... </div></div>

Thanks for the help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2156SMK</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sin City Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Huh? Could you explain please? </div></div>

Reminds me of a drag racing anecdote...

A guy with a limited budget builds a street-legal drag car out of a Ford Pinto in his garage. It ain't pretty, but he uses high-quality parts and does the work himself. He drives it to the strip and gets laughed at by all the other racers in their Cobras and Camaro SSs...to say nothing of the derision from the guy in the CTS-V and the other guy in the Carerra-S.

He then lines up at the tree and rips off a 12.1 quarter mile...faster than some cars by a couple tenths, slower than others by a couple tenths.

At the end of the day, his car might perform just as well as the others...but its still "just a Pinto".

<shrug>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2156SMK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Sin City Shooter said:

Ford vs Chev vs dodge vs toyota and on and on and on and on.

I didn't see anything that said a Savage long action was a horrible platform to build upon. So please sir, tell me what is so bad about it. I've never owned a Savage and I don't even have it in my hands yet,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sin City Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didn't see anything that said a Savage long action was a horrible platform to build upon.
So please sir, tell me what is so bad about it. I've never owned a Savage and I don't even have it in my hands yet, </div></div>

It's something you have to FEEL to understand.

Savage general issues:
Poor bolt lift.
Poor extraction.
Fewer options in aftermarket parts.

The long action in particular (regardless of brand) will have enough bolt travel that you may have to remove your face from the stock while cycling to avoid getting hit by the bolt. This is unsettling to your position which will hurt your ability to be as consistent as if you had the same cheekweld from one shot to the next.

The main reason to buy a savage is that you want to do the gunsmithing on it yourself.
If you are sending a receiver to Chad, by all means, start with something better quality like any of the custom actions.

Also, if you are set on staying with the long action, use a longer cartridge that will give you better performance.

Do all you other gunsmiths feel the same way as 2156SMK?

Nothing wrong with a savage at all. That's just his opinion. I have built 2 guns on a savage action. One in 243 and other in 300rum. Both shoot great. One has a shilen barrel and other a McGowan. There are plenty of aftermarket parts available for a savage. Go to savage shooters website and look at the custom guns built on a savage action. Sure the bolt lift is not the best, but there is an easy fix for it. I haven't ever had a problem with extraction from any of my 4 savages.
Don't let one persons opinion change your mind. There is no accuracy difference between a factory Remington vs a savage........Well maybe a nudge to the savage
smile.gif

I want a custom action as well, but I can build a whole gun on a savage action for the same price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jgerrington</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nothing wrong with a savage at all. That's just his opinion. I have built 2 guns on a savage action. One in 243 and other in 300rum. Both shoot great. One has a shilen barrel and other a McGowan. There are plenty of aftermarket parts available for a savage. Go to savage shooters website and look at the custom guns built on a savage action. Sure the bolt lift is not the best, but there is an easy fix for it. I haven't ever had a problem with extraction from any of my 4 savages.
Don't let one persons opinion change your mind. There is no accuracy difference between a factory Remington vs a savage........Well maybe a nudge to the savage
smile.gif

I want a custom action as well, but I can build a whole gun on a savage action for the same price. </div></div>

No sir I did not let the man swede my decision. Some of the things he classified as drawbacks maybe an advantage to me. I like my LOP long, I usually add an extenders of 1/2 to 1", so a bolt coming back won't bother me as I've got extra room. Honestly, how many part do you want to put on the gun. I see enough parts in the style and quality I need to build it. Like you said the extraction and hard bolt lift is repairable. Both my 700 have shitty feeling actions and I don't think the bolt lift on those are all that great due to the Timmeny's, Sure I could clip the spring but that's the way it came.

The comment about sending a shitty action to a good gunsmith made me laugh, as I don't think any gunsmith would turn down a paying customer for such an easy job.

2156SMK, I'm not busting your balls. That is your opinion and that is fine with me. Thanks for you input. I'm building it, so if you would like to add something constructive I would like to hear it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sin City Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The comment about sending a shitty action to a good gunsmith made me laugh, as I don't think any gunsmith would turn down a paying customer for such an easy job.

2156SMK, I'm not busting your balls. That is your opinion and that is fine with me. Thanks for you input. I'm building it, so if you would like to add something constructive I would like to hear it.
</div></div>

You are correct in that a gunsmith is not gonna turn down your money.
The part you are missing is that savage-remington is a religious battle and most of the smart gunsmiths have learned to stay out of the arguements.
That's why you won't see them all chiming in here when you asked for their responses.
They likely skip right over any thread with "savage" in the thread title as they all know what it's like to deal with savage owners.
I guess that makes be not-so-smart as I still keep trying to educate people even when it does not gain me anything.

Enjoy your build.
When you finally get around to shooting some guns built on high-end actions, you will know what I was talking about with the "Feel" of them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2156SMK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

You are correct in that a gunsmith is not gonna turn down your money.
The part you are missing is that savage-remington is a religious battle and most of the smart gunsmiths have learned to stay out of the arguements.
That's why you won't see them all chiming in here when you asked for their responses.
They likely skip right over any thread with "savage" in the thread title as they all know what it's like to deal with savage owners.
I guess that makes be not-so-smart as I still keep trying to educate people even when it does not gain me anything.

Enjoy your build.
When you finally get around to shooting some guns built on high-end actions, you will know what I was talking about with the "Feel" of them. </div></div>

You can blabber all you want about a custom action, but I'm not going to drag something that cost that much through sand, mud and whatever. Do you really think I want an action with that tight of specs in the sands of Las Vegas? The only time this gun will see a bench is when it gets cleaned.

You know what,if a good gunsmith on this forum does not want the money to do a good job then that's fine. Its a free country and that is their choice. I know I can send it to Sharp Shooters and they will work on it. I also know there are some talented smiths here that will work on stuff other then 700's. I had Mark G work on my FN.

Please stop beating a dead horse.

You can chime back in when I do the 700 for my daughter.

Non gunsmith $0.02 and I'll agree with the above. If I was spending $$$ to have a build done I'd go remington. That's not stopping me from building a Savage at all, but the advantage to Savage is DIY

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sin City Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not going to drag something that cost that much through sand, mud and whatever.
Do you really think I want an action with that tight of specs in the sands of Las Vegas?</div></div>

I'm not sure why not, I do.
I'll be on the line up in Vegas next weekend for the 2 day sin city match.
Perhaps I'll see you there?

I didn't say anything about custom actions being tight.
Perhaps you are making asumptions or something.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2156SMK</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sin City Shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not going to drag something that cost that much through sand, mud and whatever.
Do you really think I want an action with that tight of specs in the sands of Las Vegas?</div></div>

I didn't say anything about custom actions being tight.
Perhaps you are making asumptions or something. </div></div>

Some of the local guys here say that some the custom(benchrest I'm sure)actions jamb bad here. I know my remmy's sound like its got sand paper in it after a dozen rounds. You guys at the matches shoot on compacted building type dirt. I'm talking about silt type dirt, the kind that every step you make leaves a cloud of dust kicked up. Wind and dirt, after every shot blown in your face and all over the gun.

Besides all that, I've been a Chevy guy all my life. Time to build a Ford and see what it can do.

Enough trying to convince me. I've bought the action and someone is building the gun. You wanna help, if so great, if not go convince someone else to build a Remmy, around here I'm sure it won't be hard at all.

I don't think he is trying to convince you to build a remington, he is just saying that when you start with a savage, it is a little strange to go at it with the 'custom - best smith available approach'. I am not aware of any top notch smith offering a line of actions bearing their name based on the savage action. Savage is every bit as capable of a great shooter as a Remington. The biggest appeal to them is that one can DIY with them. I would shop around and talk to smiths, maybe there are more than a few who will take on the project, I sure don't know, but I would be prepared to not get so butt-hurt when they start trying to talk you into using a rem or clone of a rem for your build. I wish someone would do a thread on truing a savage action, and how that balances out with a barrel nut and recoil lug that are part of the mix there. I would think you would need a completely trued barrel nut in addition to a trued action and a ground lug to make it worth while. Is there anyone building a trued barrel nut? or grinding one?

</div></div>

I won't be at the match to shoot but if you want to meet up that's cool. Just give me the details to the match.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GasLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think he is trying to convince you to build a remington, he is just saying that when you start with a savage, it is a little strange to go at it with the 'custom - best smith available approach'. I am not aware of any top notch smith offering a line of actions bearing their name based on the savage action. Savage is every bit as capable of a great shooter as a Remington. The biggest appeal to them is that one can DIY with them. </div></div>

I really think Gaslight is onto something. It is a really good point that a lot of the "best" smiths don't really touch the savage action. I really think this has to do with the fact that it really doesn't take much skill to put a savage together. I have built 2 with less than $150 invested in tooling. I feel like it would be like asking Picasso to do a paint by numbers for you. Not saying that you won't be impressed with the results, but at the end of the day it will only be a paint by numbers.

Don't get me wrong, I love Savages. Personally if I had to choose between my Savages or my Reminton 700's, I would take the Savages. I find it very fulfilling to put something together and see results. I can do that with the Ssavage design, not so much with the Remington. At the end of the day it's about what ever floats your boat. But I have to agree with gaslight, it sounds like you want something other than a Savage.

I've been looking at the guys over at sharp shooter supplies. From what I read on the net, he is the goto guy for blueprinting a Savage action.

I think the mods need to close the thread as asking for anything Savage related around here, is like banging the fat chick, its ok to own one and shoot it as long as nobody see you with it.

Lesson learned 700 only it is.

You guys are all cool, I just think its ridiculous. You guys are comparing Snap-on to Mac tools, they are both tools. Some like Snap-on an some like Mac and some don't care, its a tool and it does the job well.

Well out to the mill and finish up my home made bdm bottom metal for my daughters 700

Savage has a floating bolt head, no need to true the action or barrell nut.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: red hawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Savage has a floating bolt head, no need to true the action or barrell nut.
smile.gif
</div></div>

This is part of what goes into my thinking right here. What are you paying for if you do get a Savage blueprinted? That is a question I would ask, and want to understand before paying a bunch of money for it. Just because Sharp Shooter Supply seems to be the go-to for it, what are you really getting when they do that work? I am just trying to ask some questions that might get you thinking about your project. I have never said 700 is the only way to go, there are a ton of options out there, some vastly different than the 700, with different features and solid design. All I am saying, is maybe you should think about what is happening and what is being accomplished when you pick a reputable 'smith to build a rifle for you. What is the need of a talented craftsman like that, what do they put into the product? Then take that and apply it to a Savage action. If you don't feel comfortable building a Savage yourself, then definitely send it to a 'smith. Sorry you are feeling like people are ganging up on your idea, you asked for opinion, and you received it.

While the floating bolt head ensures that both bolt lugs will contact both receiver abutments, it does not ensure that both lugs will contact evenly, nor does it ensure that the face of the bolt head is square to the chamber. For these reasons, it can be argued that there may be a reason to true Savage actions. In absence of data, the argument seems pretty flimsy.

You need to search for threads on Sharp Shooter Supply. They take a very long time to get anything done and their communication is horrible. I know that personally. I have Savages, 700's, and 700 clones. The real appeal to me on the Savage is you can completely change calibers in your garage. I think that's what most of these people are trying to tell you. I put my first Savage together with very little experience and it shot .5 moa easy. What I see in this thread is people saying, why would you send a Savage action to a gunsmith and pay x amount of money, when you can order a pre-fit barrel and do it yourself and save that money for ammo and whatnot. Sounds to me they're trying to save you money.

Re-barreling a Savage is easy to do yourself. However, for things like stock work and bedding, the same reason exists to send it off to a gunsmith as for any other gun. Just because it's a Savage doesn't mean it's relegated exclusively to "low end" or "budget"

If I have a Savage , and I wanted a Chad Dixon bedding job on my fancy new stock, I don't see how that's a "waste" just because the action is a Savage -- a nice bedding job is a nice bedding job. Similarly, I actually have a Savage RBLP target action sitting in an $1,100 PR&T F-class stock, and had it bedded and the stock clear-coated by a smith. That wasn't a waste of money or beneath the stock or the smith's time, because I have a good looking, handling, and shooting rifle that was hundreds less than if I used a BAT action.

As for Sharpshooter Supply, everything you read about them is pretty much true. That said, I have four actions done by him, and they are all excellent. His time and true service is more than just squaring off the action and nut, he also re-cuts the lug abutment ramps and cocking cams, among other things. Mine have no more bolt lift than my Rem. clones, and are very smooth. The bolts are looser but that seems to be part of the design given the floating bolt head.

I've seen both good and bad about SSS. Looks like he got to big and couldn't handle the work load. According to his website he is working on fixing that issue. As long as he does good work I don't care if he keeps the action for 6 months. I'm not in a hurry to build it. I've got a couple to finish before I get to this one.

SCS...I would contact Jim Briggs (763-682-4296), a great Savage builder.He would be happy to answer any questions you have about your build. He is a great guy and excellent Savage gunsmith.His custom service is excellent too. If I was building a Savage, he was be my first choice.:)

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.

McMillan did a nice pillar bedding job on my Savage 10FP action in an A3 Tactical a decade back, and I mean <span style="font-style: italic">really</span> nice. They not only do beautiful work, they also have been serious and solid supporters of this site's projects since its beginning. I recommend them in the most serious terms.

When I go for my next Savage build, it will be by Dan at Darkeagle Custom.

I've called him friend for going on two decades, he's done a number of important build works for me before, and his more recent creations are blowing my doors off in the FV250 matches at our club.

The time is immediate when I'm needing more of his work. If you haven't seen one of his Savage D/M conversions, you probably could benefit from a closer look.

Greg

Thanks Greg, much appreciated.