• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Wanting to get into AZ Long Range PRS

PowellSixO

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 2, 2018
Hey everyone,
I live in AZ, and I'm really wanting to start getting into some of the PRS matches (Specifically the AZ Long Range PRS matches). I've read the rules and understand them, but I have a few more questions that weren't covered in the rules. How many rounds would I need to reload for each event? Are there any special tools or equipment that I should bring to the matches besides rifle, bipod, bags, ammo, range finder, tripod, binos, water, and pack to carry everything in?

The rifle I plan on bringing to the matches is a Savage 10 short action, with a 24 inch X-Caliber barrel chambered in 7 SAUM. It sits on an HS Precision Stock, with a tuned Accutrigger. I have the Gen 2 Vortex Viper PST 5-25x50 FFP MRAD scope sitting in Vortex Precision Rings, on an EGW Picatinny rail. I'm shooting a really good load that I worked up, with a 162 gr ELDX bullet. It's not very fast, but is very capable of sub .5 MOA groups. Would this be an adequate rifle to get started with? Would it be capable of competing? Anything else that anyone would like to say that might prepare me for this? It sounds like a great group of people, and a fun way to compete, while also improving on my shooting abilities. Thanks.

Resized_20171222_162814.jpeg

Hey everyone,
I live in AZ, and I'm really wanting to start getting into some of the PRS matches (Specifically the AZ Long Range PRS matches). I've read the rules and understand them, but I have a few more questions that weren't covered in the rules. How many rounds would I need to reload for each event? Are there any special tools or equipment that I should bring to the matches besides rifle, bipod, bags, ammo, range finder, tripod, binos, water, and pack to carry everything in?

The rifle I plan on bringing to the matches is a Savage 10 short action, with a 24 inch X-Caliber barrel chambered in 7 SAUM. It sits on an HS Precision Stock, with a tuned Accutrigger. I have the Gen 2 Vortex Viper PST 5-25x50 FFP MRAD scope sitting in Vortex Precision Rings, on an EGW Picatinny rail. I'm shooting a really good load that I worked up, with a 162 gr ELDX bullet. It's not very fast, but is very capable of sub .5 MOA groups. Would this be an adequate rifle to get started with? Would it be capable of competing? Anything else that anyone would like to say that might prepare me for this? It sounds like a great group of people, and a fun way to compete, while also improving on my shooting abilities. Thanks.

Sounds like you have all of the required gear already sorted. The only thing I'd recommend changing would be your caliber. If you break a target, you replace it, so as long as your 7SAUM isn't hitting steel too hard, you should be fine. Most of our shooters are running .223's, 6mm's, 6.5's, and .308's. With how big our matches have gotten this year, we've chosen to limit each course of fire to 90 seconds, so it will be very rare that you'll need more than 10 rounds per stage. We're running 8 stages in each match now with 70 rounds being the max for the match. We've tried to mix up the stages so around 50% is prone and 50% is positional (barricades, barrels, tank traps, etc.). We allow and encourage coaching and split the pro's and semi-pro's up between the squads so each squad has experienced shooters to help the less experiences ones. Our biggest goal is to make sure everyone has fun. Second is to actually teach and grow the sport. If you have areas you'd like to improve on, one or ten of us will be able to help with advice.

After each match, we meet up at a local restaurant/bar for lunch, smack talking, and any giveaways of swag that the MD's have accumulated. Our match is associated with the Precision Rifle Series Southwest Club Series, so shooters with accounts on the PRS website can accumulate club series points throughout the year. Club accounts on that website are free by the way.

Reactions: Fig and PowellSixO
Sounds like you have all of the required gear already sorted. The only thing I'd recommend changing would be your caliber. If you break a target, you replace it, so as long as your 7SAUM isn't hitting steel too hard, you should be fine. Most of our shooters are running .223's, 6mm's, 6.5's, and .308's. With how big our matches have gotten this year, we've chosen to limit each course of fire to 90 seconds, so it will be very rare that you'll need more than 10 rounds per stage. We're running 8 stages in each match now with 70 rounds being the max for the match. We've tried to mix up the stages so around 50% is prone and 50% is positional (barricades, barrels, tank traps, etc.). We allow and encourage coaching and split the pro's and semi-pro's up between the squads so each squad has experienced shooters to help the less experiences ones. Our biggest goal is to make sure everyone has fun. Second is to actually teach and grow the sport. If you have areas you'd like to improve on, one or ten of us will be able to help with advice.

After each match, we meet up at a local restaurant/bar for lunch, smack talking, and any give aways of swag that the MD's have accumulated. Our match is associated with the Precision Rifle Series Southwest Club Series, so shooters with accounts on the PRS website can accumulate club series points throughout the year. Club accounts on that website are free by the way.

Thank you for the response. I don't think the 7 saum will be too bad on steel targets. It's a very mild load, with low recoil, and only going 2800 fps. It should be very similar to the 308's. But I'll look into that. Might be time to build a 6.5 of some sort.

Looks like Gina covered all the bases for the matches we hold. She is one of the match directors and the #1 female shooter in the country with a bunch of top 10 finishes overall. Your 7SAUM will be fine, that load wont damage any of the targets. See you at the range.

Reactions: PowellSixO and Fig
Thanks everyone for the information. I'm looking forward to getting started. I'll keep my eyes peeled for the next match date, and try and make it down there. Sounds like a good time. I need to sit down and reload a bunch of ammo now.

Reactions: andybob
Thanks everyone for the information. I'm looking forward to getting started. I'll keep my eyes peeled for the next match date, and try and make it down there. Sounds like a good time. I need to sit down and reload a bunch of ammo now.
The next match is June 12 and signup is open. Hope to see you there.

Reactions: PowellSixO
The next match is June 12 and signup is open. Hope to see you there.

Think there is a typo. Double check. Saturday June 9th is the next match per Practiscore. PowellSixO, hope you get to shoot or at least come out and see what it is all about. I will be there for my second match. It is a good group and they were very welcoming and helpful to new shooters.

Think there is a typo. Double check. Saturday June 9th is the next match per Practiscore. PowellSixO, hope you get to shoot or at least come out and see what it is all about. I will be there for my second match. It is a good group and they were very welcoming and helpful to new shooters.
My bad. Yup it’s the 9th

Trying not to steal the thread to much but since Gina and Tim are in on this and it was brought up.. I just got a 300 Win Mag. It’s pushing 215gr Hybrids 2880FPS. My only other option is a 6.5 Grendel which I’ve used in a match before. I’d really like to test out the Win Mag to get better with it, how do you think the steel will hold up or is that not advised?

Trying not to steal the thread to much but since Gina and Tim are in on this and it was brought up.. I just got a 300 Win Mag. It’s pushing 215gr Hybrids 2880FPS. My only other option is a 6.5 Grendel which I’ve used in a match before. I’d really like to test out the Win Mag to get better with it, how do you think the steel will hold up or is that not advised?

Should be fine @Peter Laurvick.

Thanks everyone. I'm going to try my best to make it. Looking forward to it.

If there's anyone from the Show Low Area that would like to go shoot this weekend, and maybe catch me up on how the whole match will lay out, I'd appreciate it. I really need to finish up getting my drops out to 1000 yards. So far all I've accomplished is an accurate round, that is zeroed at 200 yards. I need to get a lot more work done before I head to a match.

Edit: I'm officially registered for the match now.

After reading more and more, I'm also throwing around the idea of competing in the Production Division for my first PRS experience. I have a 99% stock Howa 1500 Hogue 243 Winchester that is 100% original execpt the bottom metal, and magazine. I replaced the bottom metal for a bottom metal that execpt ATS magazines. Would this be considered a shooting aid, as per the rules? The stock was not modified in any way for the new bottom metal. Or would this prevent me from competing in the Production Division? Thanks.

Edit: ATI bottom metal and mag, not AICS

Last edited:
I’m also from the Phx area and wonder where we can get some long range practice and start building some data for our rifles? Where do the regular competitors go to practice? Does the club organize any practice days?

After reading more and more, I'm also throwing around the idea of competing in the Production Division for my first PRS experience. I have a 99% stock Howa 1500 Hogue 243 Winchester that is 100% original execpt the bottom metal, and magazine. I replaced the bottom metal for a bottom metal that execpt ATS magazines. Would this be considered a shooting aid, as per the rules? The stock was not modified in any way for the new bottom metal. Or would this prevent me from competing in the Production Division? Thanks.

Edit: ATI bottom metal and mag, not AICS

Just come shoot. Local matches are just for fun. Don't worry about class for your rifle.

I go to the desert when there is no fire danger. There is a free range down in Casa Grande. Sometimes to Rio Salado out by Usery Pass.

Cowtown Range and Ben Avery are the ranges on the West side of the Valley.

There are no real practice days or anything that I'm aware of.

I’m also from the Phx area and wonder where we can get some long range practice and start building some data for our rifles? Where do the regular competitors go to practice? Does the club organize any practice days?

So far the club has not organized any practice days but it has been discussed. We've been talking about hosting a competition clinic too to help our newer shooters navigate some of the more challenging course of fires. CowTown is a members range, so if you purchase a membership from them, you can reserve a platform to gather DOPE from for the time you request. They have plenty of targets out there to do that. Ben Avery's public range doesn't have much in the way of distance but you could try to get into the high power practice sessions. Those are paper out to 1k so it might help with wind calls too since they're sort of known for having a bit of that there.

Reactions: BabypoopFAL
I live down the road from Rio, and the last few Sunday afternoons have had the HP range basically to myself.
There’s steel hanging out to 570ish and can put targets at any of the various berms. I wouldn’t be opposed to taking a couple “guests “ along, as I’m just dipping my toes into the deep water also. (thanks Tim & crew,..as if 3gun wasn’t a big enough money pit)??‍♂️