• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wanting to start ELR target shooting

para1505

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2010
Columbia MO area
I have been shooting out 1000 yards for about 12 years. I have decided I want to hit targets at 1 mile and 2000 yards. I shoot a 6.5x47L. I have been searching all over the web and comparing different calibers for this. This will be for target shooting only. Also I reload all ammo, shoot no off the shelf ammo. It looks like the .300 PRC would a really good choice to chamber a rifle for this. Or I'm I missing something?

.300 PRC or a properly chambered .300 wm is an easy button unless you want to go to a Lapua or CT size action. IMO a good way to dabble into ELR before going full retard (.375+) to see if you like it. Can push a .30 to 2000yd or even further without much hassle.

Reactions: Biscuits
Get out your checkbook. Every 200 yards beyond about 1,800 costs another few thousand.

I'd just club up to a long, mag bolt-face action now if you know this is what you want, rather than have to go with another whole rig later. Easier to start with a NM which means just a rebarrel to .338 or .375.

Lots of accurate, single shot .50s too, which is practically it's own catagory with a BC of 1+...

Reactions: Northman623
Maybe I should just settle with a mile shot that is with in the 300 PRC capability. I haven't done the math but I think 300 norma would be to costly for me

I went with a 25 PRC using the Blackjack Bullets 131. With Reloder 23, I'm hitting 3140 fps. With Reloder 26, I'm a little over 100 fps faster. I enter the transonic zone at 2100 yards and supersonic out to 2500. I also use less powder than my 300 Win Mag or 338 Lapua Mag, experience significantly less recoil, and all i needed was a new barrel for my Desert Tech.

Maybe I should just settle with a mile shot that is with in the 300 PRC capability. I haven't done the math but I think 300 norma would be to costly for me
300 PRC will make it to 2000. I have a 1925yd plate (24x24) and despite being just over 1 MOA large it's not difficult to hit it with a .300 PRC. Biggest problem is wind variability pushing left/right edge.

I think you'll be happy for what you're trying to do with a 300 PRC. The 300 norma gets a little bit more MV but a 230gr or 250gr A-tip in a 300 PRC is plenty to get to 2000yd, if not further. Doesn't require a Lapua sized action. Even the 225 factory ammo is surprisingly capable at a mile.

1631041359515.jpeg

If you want to do ELR, start by exceeding the capabilities of whatever you shoot now. Then decide if it’s worth getting something bigger. Hit rates in true ELR are very low. Some of us end up finding it pointless.

I have been shooting out 1000 yards for about 12 years. I have decided I want to hit targets at 1 mile and 2000 yards. I shoot a 6.5x47L. I have been searching all over the web and comparing different calibers for this. This will be for target shooting only. Also I reload all ammo, shoot no off the shelf ammo. It looks like the .300 PRC would a really good choice to chamber a rifle for this. Or I'm I missing something?
Try a mile and 2000 yards with your 6.5, if conditions are decent it’s quite fun.

After that a 300, 338 or even a 7mm can scratch the itch but you’ll learn a lot with the 6.5 first though.

View attachment 7698812

If you want to do ELR, start by exceeding the capabilities of whatever you shoot now. Then decide if it’s worth getting something bigger. Hit rates in true ELR are very low. Some of us end up finding it pointless.

Ouch...didn't know you were still down on ELR...I was hoping to see you again in a few weeks at TVP for the next ELR match. If you want to see something fun....no matter what caliber...whether 30cal or 338, 375, 416, 50...whatever....look at the hit rates when the first target is 1mile with no match day zeroing and no sighters.....it is absolutely funny how few people actually hit the first target of the day.

To the OP....I shoot 300PRC....at the end of the matches....you will see many of these rifles win and lose....they are different on paper....some will have some advantage in one area than the other....but at the end of the day...it comes down to you......your ability to load great consistent ammo...and you ability to read wind.....your ability to make corrections. I'm consistent to ~2250yds....I've won out to 2500yds...but that's not where my rifle is all that competitive....about 2350yds I'm competitive....anything over that....I'd build a bigger rifle...but a 300PRC is an easy button for now for that 1000yd to 2000yd distances.

The 300 PRC is a great round so is the 300NM. As for as hit rate in ELR I had a match last weekend and my hit rate was 43%.Targets were at 1770,2255,2650 and 3080. My best string was 4 in a row at 2255. The plate is 40x40.

The 300 PRC is a great round so is the 300NM. As for as hit rate in ELR I had a match last weekend and my hit rate was 43%.Targets were at 1770,2255,2650 and 3080. My best string was 4 in a row at 2255. The plate is 40x40.
Trying solids at that range or still cup core ?

Ouch...didn't know you were still down on ELR...I was hoping to see you again in a few weeks at TVP for the next ELR match. If you want to see something fun....no matter what caliber...whether 30cal or 338, 375, 416, 50...whatever....look at the hit rates when the first target is 1mile with no match day zeroing and no sighters.....it is absolutely funny how few people actually hit the first target of the day.

To the OP....I shoot 300PRC....at the end of the matches....you will see many of these rifles win and lose....they are different on paper....some will have some advantage in one area than the other....but at the end of the day...it comes down to you......your ability to load great consistent ammo...and you ability to read wind.....your ability to make corrections. I'm consistent to ~2250yds....I've won out to 2500yds...but that's not where my rifle is all that competitive....about 2350yds I'm competitive....anything over that....I'd build a bigger rifle...but a 300PRC is an easy button for now for that 1000yd to 2000yd distances.
Would you mind please going into some detail on your target size/group sizes at those distances? I've thoroughly enjoyed my 6.5 experience at ELR and still am. Also your conditions and region/altitude? Thank you

Would you mind please going into some detail on your target size/group sizes at those distances? I've thoroughly enjoyed my 6.5 experience at ELR and still am. Also your conditions and region/altitude? Thank you

Target size for 2000 - 2500 yards is 36"......group size...if you hit 2-3 you are doing wonderful. When the weather is challengingyou will hit Zero...but be close enough to both satisfy and annoy you.

Region... South East, Midwest, East....Altitude...sea level to about 1000 feet. Conditions...I've shot in anything from perfect no wind...75F and sunny....to driving wind and rain.....to 95F, 80% humidity and targets dancing in the mirage.

Target size for 2000 - 2500 yards is 36"......group size...if you hit 2-3 you are doing wonderful. When the weather is challengingyou will hit Zero...but be close enough to both satisfy and annoy you.

Region... South East, Midwest, East....Altitude...sea level to about 1000 feet. Conditions...I've shot in anything from perfect no wind...75F and sunny....to driving wind and rain.....to 95F, 80% humidity and targets dancing in the mirage.
Ok great thanks sounds kind of like what we deal with here. Humidity and temps with insane mirage in south Florida sea level and very windy with daily thunderstorms this time of year. 36x36 is where we spend most of our time at 1 mile.....only been to 2k once, but will be revisiting soon as they berms have been cleaned up and weeded.

The .300 PRC is a good round.

However, with a .300PRC, generally you have reached the ceiling of your actions capabilities. If you want to progress to more ELR capable cartridges, you are committed to a new action, rifle, etc. Perhaps not a huge deal, but certainly something worth considering.

I'm an advocate of the .300NM. It requires a stouter action, built for .338LM with the same bolt face. It's a very capable cartridge, but if you find yourself wanting to extend further, you have the XC cartridges to move into (you will be single feeding though at that point). There's a smaller selection for actions designed for .338LM/.300NM, and they are usually a little bit pricier then "regular" LA actions.

Just some food for thought.

The .300 PRC is a good round.

However, with a .300PRC, generally you have reached the ceiling of your actions capabilities. If you want to progress to more ELR capable cartridges, you are committed to a new action, rifle, etc. Perhaps not a huge deal, but certainly something worth considering.

I'm an advocate of the .300NM. It requires a stouter action, built for .338LM with the same bolt face. It's a very capable cartridge, but if you find yourself wanting to extend further, you have the XC cartridges to move into (you will be single feeding though at that point). There's a smaller selection for actions designed for .338LM/.300NM, and they are usually a little bit pricier then "regular" LA actions.

Just some food for thought.
Or you could do a 300Rum or 338 edge and actually have a bit of a speed advantage over 300 or 338 norma and 338 lapua on a regular magnum boltface.

:)
9355EC77-F156-4763-AF52-E312969094C2.jpeg

Reactions: John Glidewell
Or you could do a 300Rum or 338 edge and actually have a bit of a speed advantage over 300 or 338 norma and 338 lapua on a regular magnum boltface.

:)
View attachment 7706103

You could, no doubt. But the ceiling is still right there.

If you start with a .300NM, you can move onto the XC cartridges (33, 37, 41, etc.) with a simple barrel swap.

You could, no doubt. But the ceiling is still right there.

If you start with a .300NM, you can move onto the XC cartridges (33, 37, 41, etc.) with a simple barrel swap.
Or a 338 Carnie.

with the 338 edge 3000 FPS with a 285 solid has some impressive performance and is plenty for me with a regular magnum action and 30% less powder and cheaper brass than the XC’s

Reactions: kthomas
A mile with the 300 PRC is really just a chip shot. Getting out to 1.5 mile with ours was straightforward.

I look at ELR as being just fun play outdoors where each caliber has its own wheelhouse. At the moment, we are stretching 6 mm to see how hard a mile will be. We got started with 338LM and had a blast, then stepped down to 300 PRC, then 6.5 PRC. And now 6 ARC.

Am I going the wrong way here?

Actually I'm just biding my time, having fun and gaining experience. I'm planning to get a 416 Barrett and ending my search for the holy grail with that beast. The bonus, as far as I'm concerned, is that shorter shots are more intuitive and in many cases, automatic.

Reactions: atepointer
A mile with the 300 PRC is really just a chip shot. Getting out to 1.5 mile with ours was straightforward.

I look at ELR as being just fun play outdoors where each caliber has its own wheelhouse. At the moment, we are stretching 6 mm to see how hard a mile will be. We got started with 338LM and had a blast, then stepped down to 300 PRC, then 6.5 PRC. And now 6 ARC.

Actually I'm just biding my time, having fun and gaining experience. I'm planning to get a 416 Barrett and ending my search for the holy grail with that beast. The bonus, as far as I'm concerned, is that shorter shots are more intuitive and in many cases, automatic.
I like it! That's exactly where I am with 6.5 and still learning every trip, schwacking steel and having a blast. At the end of the day I do this for fun as a diversion from phones, email and life's requirements. I enjoy the mental and physical aspects of putting a good shot on target including mirage and wind reading. I still can't stand reloading, but do it b/c I have to. Maybe when I retire that sentiment will change, but for the immediate time frame it's an exercise in 'ugggggh'.

Reactions: TripleBull

It's a lot of fun extending the limits of short action cartridges.

Not sure if you have tried yet, but the most accurate 5 shot group I've seen at our range at 1 mile/sea level was put down with 6.5x47L was crazy.....just under 10" in no wind conditions. Granted the shooter is outrageously talented in all areas, but it isn't holding him back that's for sure.

A 6.5x47 is plenty to get to a mile in light wind conditions. You don't need a monster cartridge to determine if you want to get into ELR. I shot on the Spring Canyon Range this past weekend at the NRA Whittington Center, which yields the lowest hits rates consistently of regular elr matches, and I had more fun hitting targets at over 2k with my 6 creed than I did with my 33xc at 3k+. What's the old saying? "It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow." Try to remember that when thinking about getting in to ELR. Is a 6.5x47 going to be consistently competitive out to a mile, no, but it would allow you to get your feet wet without dedicating funds to a huge new build and sinking thousands into something before you even know. Where are you located around? Depending on the area, there are plenty of people that would happy to let you try out their platforms to see what you think. I would hold off on the prc and maybe attend an elr match before deciding on anything because I believe if you went to a match, you wouldn't want to go with a prc. A 300 norma is one of the easiest routes to go and more potent than the prc, easier to find components as well. :)

Well i was in the same boat a few months ago. Spend the money and build a new ELR rifle, or modify what i already have and see how far that gets me. Went with a 28” 300 WSM barrel throated for the Seneca 241 gn mono, with a 7.0 twist, on an existing Curtis Axiom short action in an MPA chassis. That bullet has a G1 BC over 1.0. Similar to many 375 ELR bullets. Transonic region arrives at 2,400 and subsonic at 2,600 yards.

Cost was reasonable: New magnum faced bolt, new 40 MOA rail, new barrel and dies. Total cost $1,500. Still leaves money for food and drink. It is a switchlug rifle, so dead easy to change barrels in the field. Era Tac adjustable base will be the next expense. That will take me to about $2,000, 1/3 to 1/4 the cost of a new rifle plus another premium scope.

Have to say it is easy to get hooked on ELR: Got an opportunity to shoot at a range used for ELR matches in the mountains of Namibia while on a hunting trip. Buddy of mine brought two rifles along: A semi custom 260 that is capable of 0.2” groups at a 100 and well under a MOA at 1000 in low wind. The second rifle was a very well sorted Sako TRG 42 with a factory barrel, with a combo suppressor plus muzle brake, and an Era Tac adjustable scope mount.

Started with the 260, checked the zero at 500 (dead nuts), and then went to 1,000 (figuring out the wind), and then very quickly to 1,500 yards. It was remarkable easy, but the rifle was superb and the hand loads were top quality, and the spotters were pros. Wind was predictable down in the valley. I just had to listen to the spotters, not cant the rifle and not jerk the trigger. I was purely playing the role of trigger puller, and enjoying the moment. Great fun!

Not enough elevation in the scope and base, so swithed to the 338 with the adjustable Era Tec base. It was much harder to hit the targets at 1,800 and 2,000 yards, because the wind changes as you go up the slope of the mountain. As wind speed picks up, direction changes too. 3 D topology. After 25 rounds, i had maybe 7 hits at 1,800 and exactly one hit at 2,000 yards. Never missed so often and enjoyed it that much…

One of the spotters brought a 32” 300 Winmag, 8 twist barrel and within 4 shots hit the 2,500 yard target. Weird switching wind at the top of that mountain. Nobody else could hit that target. Trick was to fire the round, load a second round, wait for the dust cloud and fire the follow-up shot before the dust can blow away. Based on how far he missed, and how rapidly the the dust cloud was moving.

I realize the smaller dust cloud kicked up by a 240 grain 30 cal will be a disadvantage in matches, when competing with 375 and 416 rifles, but so be it. Wind drift will be competitive because of the stratospheric 0.555 G7 BC.

It should be a good learning experience, i think!

Last edited:
Well i was in the same boat a few months ago. Spend the money and build a new ELR rifle, or modify what i already have and see how far that gets me. Went with a 300 WSM throated for the Seneca 241 gn mono, with a 7.0 twist, on an existing Curtis Axiom short action in an MPA chassis. That bullet has a G1 BC over 1.0. Similar to many 375 ELR bullets. Transonic region arrives at 2,400 and subsonic at 2,600 yards.

Cost was reasonable: New magnum faced bolt, new 40 MOA rail, new barrel and dies. Total cost $1,500. Still leaves money for food and drink. It is a switchlug rifle, so dead easy to change barrels in the field.

Have to say it is easy to get hooked on ELR: Got an opportunity to shoot at a range used for ELR matches in the mountains of Namibia while on a hunting trip. Buddy of mine brought two rifles along: A semi custom 260 that is capable of 0.2” groups at a 100 and well under a MOA at 1000 in low wind. The second rifle was a very well sorted Sako TRG 42 with a factory barrel, with a combo suppressor plus muzle brake.

Started with the 260, checked the zero at 500 (dead nuts), and then went to 1,000 (figuring out the wind), and then very quickly to 1,500 yards. It was remarkable easy, but the rifle was superb and the hand loads were top quality, and the spotters were pros. Wind was predictable down in the valley. I just had to listen to the spotters, not cant the rifle and not jerk the trigger. I was purely playing the role of trigger puller, and enjoying the moment. Great fun!

Not enough elevation in the scope and base, so swithed to the 338 with the adjustable Era Tec base. It was much harder to hit the targets at 1,800 and 2,000 yards, because the wind changes as you go up the slope of the mountain. As wind speed picks up, direction changes too. 3 D topology. After 25 rounds, i had maybe 7 hits at 1,800 and exactly one hit at 2,000 yards. Never missed so often and enjoyed it that much…

One of the spotters brought a 32” 300 Winmag, 8 twist barrel and within 4 shots hit the 2,500 yard target. Weird switching wind at the top of that mountain. Nobody else could hit that target. Trick was to fire the round, load a second round, wait for the dust cloud and fire the follow-up shot before the dist could blow away. Based on how far he missed m and how rapidly the the dust cloud was moving.

I realize the smaller dust cloud kicked up by a 240 grain 30 cal will be a disadvantage in matches, when competing with 375 and 416 rifles. So be it. Wind drift will be competitive.

It will be a good learning experience.
Fun sounding time

Reactions: NamibHunter
para1505, if I still lived in Utah you'd have an invite right now. The range I presently shoot at in Texas only goes to 1400 and it's not really conducive to target set-up and checking.

I love to teach and coach folks into their first mile shot. It's fun, challenging, and rewarding, -- most don't realize how capable the rifles and scopes they own right now are. 7mm Rem Mag, 7.62 x 54R, and a few 6 and 6.5 factory guns and calibers are more than capable. The fact you have a dozen years shooting at 1,000 is certainly in your favor.

Two kilometers / 2200 yards can be and are a whole different business, and you'll need specific loads or bullets to get there (still using your present scope and rifle).

Reactions: brianf
We just had a ELR match on Sunday and I was 2nd out of 23 shooters. targets were at 1780, 2205, 2655 and 3080 my over all hit percentage was 56% . I am shooting a Cadex Shadow 375ct with 34in 1-7 twist barrel done by Robert Vestal. Billet is a 400gr Cutting Edge Lazer 3065 AVG FPS.

Reactions: NamibHunter
We just had a ELR match on Sunday and I was 2nd out of 23 shooters. targets were at 1780, 2205, 2655 and 3080 my over all hit percentage was 56% . I am shooting a Cadex Shadow 375ct with 34in 1-7 twist barrel done by Robert Vestal. Billet is a 400gr Cutting Edge Lazer 3065 AVG FPS.
A buddy of mine ordered a 375ct from Vestal. He has been waiting a year and a half still no rifle. Is vestal gtg?

Dude you are killing me.

Clearly, I need to move to the mountains… Living in a flood plain, flat as a pancake!! Longest range we have in Houston is 1000 yards. Some of the private mega-ranches in Texas offer “a weekend shooting experience” out to 2,500 yards - at 5 star hotel prices!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Steel head
Yes Vestal is good to go. He just is super busy and some rifle parts have ridiculous lead times. I was lucky as mine was just a re-barrel and I had the barrel on hand to give him.

Reactions: Im2bent