• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Warner Swasey site

Mike Casselton

Team Beer and Donuts.
Minuteman
  • Nov 25, 2007
    Lithia, FL
    Found this done checking their site.
    Have no idea on its value, nor do I have a use for it, so...

Reactions: Average guy
    Thanks, just bought it.

Ah yes the sights that Battlefield 1 would have you think were available on every M1903 in WWI plus a couple of SMLEs and that one Lewis Gun that happened to be in a lockbox in a German Army tent in some rinkydink little village in France circa 1917...

No but the Warner & Swasey sight is pretty neat for sure. A 6x magnification prismatic sight in 1908? That was pretty damn innovative, even if the optics weren't particularly good by modern standards and tended to fog up because the scope wasn't sealed or anything. I doubt any of them went to the Middle Eastern or African Theatres where fogging might've been less of an issue, but even so you could've done worse than one of those on the Western Front.
    1666757118165.png

Reactions: Average guy
    Imagine if they had put the stadia lines at practical ranges.

Be gentle with it….I saw a shooter using one, third shot a crinkling sound came from scope, could not see thru any more, handling after removing the scope sounded like a baby rattle. The eye boot tends to be very brittle. Nice snag….

I'm curious how much this scope sold for.

I have a original rifle and keep on saying I'm going to go out and shoot it. But I sort of always forget to.

I think everyone knows about the suction cup problem they had with them sticking to peoples faces and they had to drill a hole in eye cup to release suction. But I don't think it's known the rubber actually got hard really quick, within months of manufacture. So the docs talk about the rubber turned very hard and when the soldiers fired it, they would have black and blue eyes after.

So a lot of the eye cups were cut back to a very small ring, so it didn't beat up the user so much.

Reactions: ZG47A
    This used to have pictures....

@cplnorton has any of your research ever confirmed the tale that Marines would piss on the scope rail to rust lock the scope to the rail?

Looks like BWs has evidence of rust on the rail.

If that is an original rail that is a score.

The Honey Hole gun shop bought a lot of Col Brophys stuff. The owner may have some Warner Swazey repro parts. Perhaps a rubber eye cup or such......I am going to my daughters soccer tournament out that way this weekend and may try to sneak down there.

@buffalowinter
    @sirhrmechanic

Since you both like sights, I have a friend who is thinking of selling these. Both Hensoldts off of K98 rifles he bought. The rifles were sporterized.

Any interest? I can let you know if he decides to sell them.

View attachment 7985514
    I don't have much in the German RIfle genre to fit one to. But damn those are sweet! Someone here will be interested!

Sirhr

Reactions: MK20
    I mis-spoke as mine is similar but not the same. Mine has a huge objective and I used a single side rail mount but should have used high turret mounts. I had to remove the rear sight ladder to get it to fit. Excellent glass.
    DSCN6017.JPG

Reactions: 6.5SH
    @cplnorton has any of your research ever confirmed the tale that Marines would piss on the scope rail to rust lock the scope to the rail?

I have never seen that. But I have seen them mention they used gasoline to clean screws and the threads on the rifles. The screws were then dipped in water and installed. By the next day they were rusted so tight that often the heads of the screws would break before the screw would break free.

Reactions: D_TROS