• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Warning about new marlin firearms!

Re: Warning about new marlin firearms!

Bummer. We have 5 Marlin rimfires (925, 917v, 2 795's, 60) and all are great shooters. Not pretty by any stretch but, totally reliable and accurate rifles.

I love my older marlins but if i were looking for a new rimfire i would buy cz. Thanks for the heads up though. Hope you get this mess straightened out.

sucks for you dude....i have a marlin 917v that is cherry a marlin 717(somthing but shoots 17hm2) and a marlin m60 and they all are great all shoot good and fit and finish is on par with what i payed if not more...but sorry dude bummer for you
i think i would buy another too based on my experience......

Didn't read the thread but I think shooting fish with rifles is just stupid. I'd never buy a rifle to get a marlin. Stick to land mammals.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KIMO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Didn't read the thread but I think shooting fish with rifles is just stupid. I'd never buy a rifle to get a marlin. Stick to land mammals. </div></div>

+1

Thats why I shoot savages.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KIMO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Didn't read the thread but I think shooting fish with rifles is just stupid. I'd never buy a rifle to get a marlin. Stick to land mammals. </div></div>

+1

Thats why I shoot savages. </div></div>
oh so its ok to shoot people that arnt up to modern societys standards but its not ok to shoot fish?

I too have been reading their quality has gone down hill. I had a 883, a 39A, a 1895, and a few 336's. All mine are older and I couldn't be happier with them.

I just ordered a new model 60 from dicks last week to replace another that has been worn out for well over a year now and I have to say I'm a little nervous about what I'm going to get since I haven't bought a marlin since the quality has been sucking. I will definitely be checking it over thoroughly before transferring.

Sorry to hear about your experience with Marlin. I have an 880 and 917 and both are great looking guns that shoot great. Hope things turn out for you.

Good I saw this. I was about to buy one of their xt22vr because buds sent me an email saying they have them in stock. Thanks for the heads up, and sorry about what happened to your new gun.

I thought puberty was the defining moment after which one would no longer purchase Marlin rifles...

The barrel crooked (if it is) is a big deal. The dovetail alone is annoying, and loctite would solve that problem and also render it tap-able for sighting in.

The poor stock fit is just something that goes with the territory of cheap guns which a rimfire marlin bolt action is.

I had a savage 93 .22WMR and it fit crooked in the stock like that to the extent it was hard to put a magazine in the gun.

My brother bought the (not cheap bastard) model with the helical fluting and laminate stock, and his works nice and fits properly.

It would be nice to know what Marlin offered to do for you. A refund is not going to happen with most gun makers- but a repair or replacement of a not defective product is totally reasonable in these kinds of circumstances.

My last Marlin was a circa 2000 brand new Golden 39A lever action. It is a spendier product and the quality was excellent. The sights fit in the dovetails, the gun shot like a laser beam, and it was a pretty rifle. Very reliable too.

No issues with the 39A- compared to autoloading rimfire firearms from other companies with all kinds of reliability issues that I've owned. I also have a 504T with a Llija barrel aand it barely extracts with a brand new set of dual ejectors, sso I have to work the action slowly (with a certain technique I can't even recall to describe right now) or dig cases out of the chamber with a screwdriver if I don't "play nice". <That kind of shit is pretty annoying.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TMshot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unfortunately I had a similar experience with their quality.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...872#Post2811872

It is a shame as I do have a marlin 917 that I like.
I hope they get these issues fixed. </div></div>

Did they replace your rifle or barrel with one that was threaded 1/2x28 or offer to replace it? Or did you have a horrible experience with customer service?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oosickness</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KIMO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Didn't read the thread but I think shooting fish with rifles is just stupid. I'd never buy a rifle to get a marlin. Stick to land mammals. </div></div>

+1

Thats why I shoot savages. </div></div>
oh so its ok to shoot people that arnt up to modern societys standards but its not ok to shoot fish? </div></div>

Pretty much.

They did send me a new gun, you have to look through the whole thread. The first one the stock itself was cut out of line. THe magazine woudl barely go in, it was such and angle.

The second gun they sent had marks and a dip in the barrel (pictures in the other thread) *link

They have told me that my money "will go out tommorrow" four different times. I have yet to speak with anyone in charge, it is a complete runaround. I had marlins in the past and they were great, I wish I hadn't have sold them, but after marlin's poor service I am glad I did and if I owned any now I would sell them.

Also did you know that the xt series that you buy at wal mart have non adjustable triggers??

My savage 93 22wmr had a stock that you really had to screw around with to squeeze the magazine in- the barrel wasn't anywhere near the center of the channel in the stock- the stock was cheap, the bottom metal was a steel stamping that really didn't even fit properly.

I agree with your position on being unimpressed.

I'd just be more surprised if there was a sub $200 bolt action rimfire that wasn't suffering from these issues. They are cheap rifles.

If we want them to compete with $400-$900+ offerings (Remington 504/CZ 452/Anschutz/Kimber etc), that might just not be very realistic.

I picked up a SS Marlin 60 lately that was a shooter from day one. I think with most lower end products, ya gotta decide right there with your hands on it or suffer the consequences.

No vendetta against Marlin, but after my brother's brand new .22 bolt action lefty jammed repeatedly, and Marlin refused to fix it, I steer wide & clear.

Ran it myself numerous times: didn't work right from the get go. He sold it the first chance he got, with full disclosure to the vetted buyer. Couldn't believe it, the guy couldn't get his money out fast enough, despite what we just told him..

Marlin needs to get their shit together.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin Armament</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If we want them to compete with $400-$900+ offerings (Remington 504/CZ 452/Anschutz/Kimber etc), that might just not be very realistic.
</div></div>

+1
I feel in love with a CZ .22WMR not sure the model, but i got to shoot it and i was impressed!

i'm 95% sure i'll be fixin to get the 22xtvr (heavy barreled / beavertailed syn stock) shortly after christmas.

the thing is i have to order it through my local dealer so it's not in front of me to fondle and look at before the purchase, which sucks the most. however for the $205.00 quoted out the door, it's a no brainer that it's not going to be an anschutz.

for those that had the oppurtunity to handle the rifle that was in stock, on the shelf, and not a special order, perhaps you should have looked at it closely, as any purchase, before you plunked the money down. rarely should one purchase a car without "kickin the tires", the same goes for rifles. take a very good look at it first.

let's face it most customer service with most companies stinks these days, it's a shame, but almost expected anymore if there is a problem.

so from what i gather from the posts a few things to do before walking out of the store with the rifle is:

1. check the barrel alignment with the receiver. take a straight edge with you.

2. check the magazine housing alignment and actually remove / insert the magazine a few times.

3. take a few snap caps or empty shells to ensure proper functioning, cycling, ejection (from the magazine).

4. check the stock mounting bolts for anything suspicious.

5. check the sights for looseness (even if intent is to remove them, check them anyway).

6. check the dovetail for uniformity / straightness. the straight edge mentioned before will come in handy here too.

7. take a small screw driver to check the tapped holes threading for bases. use the straight edge again to check for the same holes being "true".

8. if getting the threaded barrel, take what you are putting on those threads to confirm proper threading, or even a matching nut from home depot to screw on.

9. make sure it isn't or is a model without the pro fire trigger. just as with savage, the walmart models are a special run without the adjustable trigger. make sure of what you are paying for.

10. remove the bolt, closely look at it, look down the barrel, make sure of the threading and crown.

11. make sure to register your warranty / rifle ASAP

marlin warranty
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/pdfs/manuals/MFC_Bolt_Action_RF.pdf
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/customersupport/manuals.asp

there is an expectation of a company to stand behind their product, and most of what has been talked about seems like they got a hassle to some extent.

dealing with the lower end (cheaper) product manufacturer's you tend to get this type of hassle, those that ever had a cheap scope crap out on them knows how long it take to get satisfaction, and appears the same is true with the lower end rifle makers. there are several posts on savage rifle defects / complaints that get the same run around from savage.

eventually persistance and having your facts straight / documented should get the satisfaction of getting the problem fixed.

sorry those that had the problems had to go through what they had to go through, but you always tend to hear about the not so good stories.

where's the good stories (if any) about the new marlins?

Marlin has been having problems for the past couple of years or so. Just go to wwww.marlinowners.com and you will have your fill on reading about it.

It's true though. In the past 4 years I bought 2 1894 .44mags which were not acceptable to me. Sent the first back to Marlin, and what they their so called "gunsmiths" did was an insult. Sold it. The second one barrel or receiver was so out of line I could not get it sighted in correctly. Sold it.

I now have an 1894s that was made over 10 years ago. Very nice rifle that I will never let go of.

Some folks say it's because it's an inexpensive firearm so the consumer shouldn't expect anything more. I say hogwash. Something done right is something done right - regardless if it's cleaning a toilet, changing a tire, building a firearm, or heart surgery.

Plus, there is plenty to read about how the 39a has problems and it is a $500 firearm.

Nevertheless, I just bought a CZ 452 varmint and it will be here tomorrow. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Thanks for the warning. Will never buy one again
smile.gif

There is no better way to say F U to a business and encourage the others to do better.

At the risk of piling on, my wife bought me a lever action (don't recall the model number, too lazy to go look in the safe) last year for Christmas. I had a lot of failure-to-fire problems with a variety of ammo, and the firing pin strikes looked really light. I polished the firing pin and finally had to remove some of the material that serves as a stop. I still have to manually recock the hammer now and again, and still have some FTF, but it is much improved. Dry firing is strictly prohibited now, though, since it will peen the breech face and cause FTE problems. I never contacted Marlin, partly because I'd like to know what the problem is, partly to avoid the hassle, and partly because a new gun ought to work, so I can't comment on their customer service.

My wife's 60SS works well if kept clean and lubed, but the finish of the bolt is awful. They both shoot well, even with the cheap bulk ammo we use. My wife is deadly on golf balls and shotgun shells.

I completely agree with the comment about if something is done it ought to be done right. If it costs more, then so be it.

Sometimes throwing a product through an office window is the only way to get
the point across. I would just sell it and take the loss.