• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Warning from R&D Precision

Hateca

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Aug 12, 2004
    Henderson NV
    It’s come to my attention that there have been “custom” rifles posted for sale that were advertised as being built by a “local rifle builder” that was taught by or trained by Randy at R&D precision.

At best, this is not an accurate statement, at worse it’s a lie. I have never trained nor taught anyone how to build, machine, or assemble rifles. I and several other rifle builders have given advice or answered questions, both here on the Hide and other forums. I have even asked for and received advice myself from other builders, but have never taught anyone how to build a rifle or any other weapon.

If you get a seller that claims to have a weapon that was built by R&D Precision, and you have a question I encourage you to contact me to verify that it was indeed a rifle that left my shop. If you have a seller that says the rifle was built by someone taught by me this is not correct and you may consider walking away.

Except for some stock inletting that is cut on a CNC I’m the only one that touches your rifle from start to finish. I’m a sole owner, no one works for me.

If you have any questions feel free to contact me.

P.S. As of date I have yet to see any rifles on SH that the sellers are making these claims, but as we all know not all forums are created equal.

Thanks, Randy
    R&D Precision.

Re: Warning from R&D Precision

That's BS, hope no one gets fooled. You build a great rifle, hate see someone make money off of your name and put an inferior product out there.

That sucks Randy, I saw your post on Calguns as well. I'll keep a look out on other forums, here & on Calguns.

Have a great one,
    FTK

<span style="font-style: italic">Caveat emptor</span>!

you and a couple other rifle builders that post here are extremely helpful to the new guy trying to learn the art. it is bs that someone takes advantage of that. if i come across one of those listings, i'll definatly point it out to you.

That sux and is fraud, possibly mail fraud. Thanks for pointing that out, hope they catch them. I understand you have to protect your business reputation and that it is a serious matter. Keep us updated.

There's no need to look too hard to know who it is. Ask any one of the socal shooters and only one name will pop up. Its not the "builder" making these claims AFAIK.

Randy has helped me a ton in understanding many gunsmithing principles, techniques, etc. He's always been very straightforward and has spent hours on the phone with me with questions about other builders rifles. There's only one Randy.

Ditto. Randy invited me into his shop and shared mucho information while I was there in January. Sharing information does not translate into being trained, no matter how helpful the info was (and it was very helpful....thanks Randy).

It's amazing what stuff some people will pull to polish their apple. I hope the guy gets outed.

I had the same sort of shit here,

more on the tuning of factory rifles but also with some aparent custom stuff.. was a case of screw a pre fit stainless barrel onto an remington action and bung it in an AICS an call it custom.

ended up engraving rifle actions, triggers and barrels to mark them as worked on by me.

Pete

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pete Lincoln</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had the same sort of shit here,

ended up engraving rifle actions, triggers and barrels to mark them as worked on by me.

Pete</div></div>
    Thats not a bad idea Randy. Should logo the action and barrel, hell put it in the barrel channel of the stock if you worked on that as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JimT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ditto. Randy invited me into his shop and shared mucho information while I was there in January. Sharing information does not translate into being trained, no matter how helpful the info was (and it was very helpful....thanks Randy).

It's amazing what stuff some people will pull to polish their apple. I hope the guy gets outed. </div></div>

Exactly my point of view as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rksimple</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's no need to look too hard to know who it is. Ask any one of the socal shooters and only one name will pop up. Its not the "builder" making these claims AFAIK.

Randy has helped me a ton in understanding many gunsmithing principles, techniques, etc. He's always been very straightforward and has spent hours on the phone with me with questions about other builders rifles. There's only one Randy. </div></div>

Wow...has that POS sunk to a new low?

Name the offender.

A custom metal stamp like the ones used by GAP isn't terribly expensive. But that wouldn't have helped in this situation because the rifle was not being presented as built by Randy, someone claimed that the builder was trained by Randy.

People never cease to amaze me.

Wow,
    Randy Has helped me alot with questions and is a great guy with tons of knowledge. Willing to take the time away from his work to help others. I for one apreciate it and would never take advantage of it in any way. So thanks Randy and I hope it stops.

JamieD

Mimicry is the greatest flattery one could be hit with. Its a big problem that all successful names must face. Its a problem a lot of us wish we had. Not easy to deal with or solve,unfortunately.

Randy - congratulations on your success. Good luck on protecting your good name and outstanding products.