• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

WARNING: Noob questions!

TLaude

Private
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2009
North Dakota
I warned you, noob questions ahead!

I've always wanted to get into long distance shooting, just haven't had the time with school and such. School's over, shooting is starting!

I've been tempted to buy a 7mm for deer hunting (eventually moose, elk, bear, etc) and I think if I'm going to be getting a new rifle anyway, now is the time to go balls out and get a gun to begin my long distance shooting education.

With that said, I'll stop boring you with the excess reading and get to the questions.

7mm vs .308; which would be a logical decision for hunting and long distance shooting (i'm learning to reload, so ammo cost isn't that big of a deal)?

custom or factory (i'd like to build my own gun for memory sakes. i can get far more benefits from a custom gun right?)?

That's all for now. I won't bother with the optics questions as I've already read articles here with suggestions on those
smile.gif

Thanks fella's & sorry for the questions. I know you get sick of these kind of questions.

TL

Re: WARNING: Noob questions!

I would definately buy a factory gun first to learn the basics without puttine wear and tear on a high $ custom. When you are ready, upgrade.

Lots of good info here in the guides.

Here's my $.02 worth:
You should buy the best of what you can afford. Just from your statements, I've made assumptions but that 7mm at long range hunting will provide you with pass throughs like you aren't expecting because you'll be using Berger bullets. No problem for solitary animals but if you need to take one out of the herd, it could be inhibitive. I personally shoot a .308 and would never trade for a (hunting) 7mm.
If you're going to build your own, I agree you should get one off the shelf...or 2 first. There's a lot to know about loads and working them up. If you're going to have one built, on the other hand, go for the best you can afford...sniper grade in 30+ cal.
Sounds to me like you'll eventually end up in Africa. If so, you'll need to start thinking larger than .375.
See what I mean, you really need to take some time and THINK about what you want this gun to do or settle for what it does when you're done building it...good luck!

Thanks for the informative posts.

boeger - I'll never end up in Africa, but without a doubt I'll be in the mountains doing some hunting.

I see what your saying about the 7mm trying to pluck one out of a herd.

As for buying one off the shelf, I was highly considering doing it, but instead of spending 500+ on a good .308, couldn't I put that towards a custom gun (made by myself and my grandfather who used to build custom guns)?

Just trying to soak all this info so I appologize for the moronic questions
smile.gif

I went the route of Savage weapons just because of what I can do at home to improve them, dont like the way it shoots? 300 beans and you have a new barrel, or a caliber for that matter. Stocks, triggers, and barrels are all available and easy to put together.

IMHO the 308 win offers better manufactured ammo until you start reloading and even then 7.62's are everywhere.

After reading through a vast majority of the threads from the link in post #2, I've decided it will be in my best interest to start out with a 22lr as a stepping stone (crawl -> walk -> run).

Tomorrow I shall pay a visit to my local gun shop!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quackaddict</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I went the route of Savage weapons just because of what I can do at home to improve them, dont like the way it shoots? 300 beans and you have a new barrel, or a caliber for that matter. Stocks, triggers, and barrels are all available and easy to put together. </div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TLaude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">(made by myself and my grandfather who used to build custom guns)?</div></div>

Well, that opens up a whole new can of worms. Price everything both ways. Assuming your grandfather wont charge you, it may turn out to be a no brainer.

okie

BTW, as far as .22s, check out the CZs.

OK, I got a minute so let's go one step further. Hypothetically, you have a .308. You work up a good load with a 150 grain. You use it for deer...You now want to get a moose. The 150 will kill a moose but it likely won't penetrate the brush in front of the moose nor will it be advised to shoot long range at a moose. Being made aware of this before you go moose hunting you opt to shoot 200 grain at the moose but wait, you have a 1 in 12 barrel and discover that to shoot 200's well, you need a 1 in 10 so you work up a load and start loosing distance and accuracy because you simply have the wrong gun. Will you be ok NOT shooting a $20k moose?...Just food for thought!
My answer was a custom .300 WM. I don't plan to shoot anything larger than 190's. I can work up several loads to take care of just about anything in north america and at the range...I also have a .308 which is basically an OTS at 6.5 lbs but is on paper at 1k with 175 gr sierra hand loads. The sacrifice is that I can't use the 300 to shoot steel, but the .308 does fine...ok, I'm done...enjoy the process, research and think about what you want your gun to do then go for it...you'll do fine...