• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Warthog Knife Sharpener

Platypus

Sergeant
Minuteman
As much as I have enjoyed the therapeutic qualities of sharpening my knives on a good ole Arkansas stone with some honing oil, time does not allow for extended therapy sessions anymore. I have found an alternative worthy of a review here. The Warthog Vsharp Xtreme Edge

Warthog sharpener

This thing really impressed me with its efficiency and ease of use. With just a little bit of adjustment to accommodate the size (small pocket knives to large fixed blade hunting knives) and type of blade (flat grind or hollow grind) you can quickly get a razor edge. The blade is sharpened on both sides at the same time by simply drawing the blade through bars as if you are cutting a tomato. The blade guide keeps the blade correctly orientated to the stones and adjustable springs hold constant spring tension against the edge for consistent angle and metal removal. The angle of the stones or steels can be adjusted from 17, 20, 25, 30 degrees simply by snapping the top end out of the bracket and indexing the bottom of the stone on the appropriate angle. The Warthog makes quick work of getting a great edge on my daily carry Benchmade and my Ka-Bar TDi as well as my fixed blade hunting knives. The nicest thing about this sharpener is that it has considerably reduced my time to sharpen the kitchen knives that I have been informed by the better half that sharpening knives is “the man job”. The kit comes with rods that have a 320 grit medium course stone on one side of the sharpening bars and a steel on the other side for that fine polished edge. Additional stones in a 600 grit fine and 1000 grit super fine can be ordered from the website. I believe I paid about $75 for the Vsharp Xtreme Edge sharpener at the hunting show. For hogging a bunch of metal and squaring away an edge that has seen some abuse I still use my Lansky sharpening system as it is more efficient at removing larger amounts of metal, then I clean it up wiht the Warthog. Hopefully this helps with the knife sharpening chores.

Re: Warthog Knife Sharpener

The 'Hog is fair to middlin',though I prefer a diamond bench stone. For flying through a herd of blades a I like a Razor Wheel.

Link

platypus that link you provided does <span style="font-style: italic">not</span> take me to a knife sharpener site.

Not more than an hour ago I was looking at knife sharpeners so this is a very timely thread as far as I'm concerned. Gotta' say though, I'll probably just go with a Lansky standard model. I too find knife sharpening theuraputic so I'm just going to stick with the slow, low tech method. Plus, the lansky will allow me to carefully control the edge bevel angle which is something I've never been good at with just a whetstone.

I think he's onto something though,in that it is a viable system to keep in the house for the womenfolk. Takes a while for the 'Hog to chase a bevel,but once dedicated a blade is easily touched up and it would make life easier in the kitchen when a guy was out killing shit.

RedRyder, link fixed. The Warthog is by no means a system to be used on hard use blades that need some reshaping to get a bevel back or to put the initial bevel on a new knife build. It does however work nicely to maintain an established edge as Voracious stated. Knife sharpening and vehicle maintenance around my house are deemed "man jobs" by the wife and daughter no matter how many times I have tried to Tom sawyer them into thinking it is fun. This thing helps minimize the time I hear "there is never a sharp knife in the drawer". The Razor Wheels are great but not for folks that have not worked with rotating equipment to get an edge on a blade. The Warthog sure has been nice for cleaning my edge up after a day at work without having to get my Lansky set up or working a stone. I build knives as a hobby and use everything listed in this thread to include the Razor and they all have their place. Main thing is to remember a sharp knife is not only more efficient but actually safer to use. Good points gentlemen, thank you for the feedback.

Warthog for mom,Razor for dad and the diamond for my good blades.