• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Was the movie Valkyrie any good?

Big Bo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 7, 2005
Cal West
The wife asked if the movie Valkyrie was any good and I told her that I would ask the HIDE.

Well?

Re: Was the movie Valkyrie any good?

it was a good movie, a bit slow getting started. And at some points hard to follow as to what was going on. Also for your end, there were a few action scenes but those were few and far between, overall though id say its a good saturday night movie at the house. Id watch it again

I thought it was very good as well. I had high expectations from all of the advertising, and I wasn't dissapointed.
I also was surprised to learn it was based on actual historical events.

just dont get up and go to the bathroom, kitchen, get a BJ without first hitting "pause",... yeah, the story line is that complicated.

too bad they failed..

i saw a "making of" that detailed the actual history. the casting was great. Tom Cruise didn't really look like the actual historical character, but pretty much everyone else did.

i didn't care for the movie.

Not great. The history and significance of characters was muddled. No good explanation about why they did what they did. Only expl. was political. There was a deeply religious motivation also not well elucidated. On a scale of 10 give a 6.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slug</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A better watch than the 3 amigos. I promise.</div></div>

+1

why do they keep showing this POS on TBS late at night?

is there a loyal cult following or something?

I tried to sit through that just to see If I would laugh once. I can't remember If I did. Chevy Chase can be funny, but the other two dipshits can ruin a movie in a damn hurry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slug</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A better watch than the 3 amigos. I promise. </div></div>

what what WHAT!

You know the problem with this movie is that why did the Germans go through all this when they simply could have sniped Hitlers ass and gotten away with it? When you get things to complicated it always gets screwed up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hannibal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Strangedays-

Check out the "Hitler's Bodyguards" on Military Channel. Lot of attempts on Hitler including Brits plan to snipe his ass at the place in Bavaria.

IMHO I think there was something going on with Hitler and the Big Guy Upstairs. That many attempts, damn bomb going off and not doing the job, etc. Must have been part of the plan. You know what they say- Man makes plans and God laughs.

I always wondered why someone didn't wack Stalin or Mao. They were much worse- each killed 40 MILLION of their own. Why didn't someone just pull a Tokarev and pop a few 9mm rds into their skulls?

Han </div></div>

I did watch the History Channels "Hitlers Bodyguards" It was good but I don't understand why if the people who wanted to take him out were so brave then why is it that not one would risk his own life by simply walking up to him and pulling the trigger until the only thing left was a empty smoking gun? They had to of known it was suicide so why not make sure the deal goes through? And I agree that Stalin and MAO all needed to die the same way. The movie 'Valkyrie' is good the actor they cast as Hitler looked and moved just like him. Thing is with the past is there will always be people who judge the outcome that never were there in the people's shoes who lived the time out themselves.

Good movie and a great example of how moral cowardice and the lack of audacity (that Patton so loved) on the part of any one of several players prevented the success of the plot/plan.

Good movie, and although I do not like Tom Cruise's Politics, he is a first rate actor. He went all out for The last samurai and collateral (Thunder Ranch and all).
If you like period movies about the third reich, there is an excellent german made foreign film called Downfall. Its in subtitles but well worth the rental

They were with him when the going was good and whacked him only when the going got bad. They're no heroes, it's just a face saving revisionist movie to me.

Surprisingly the German Government didn't even allow Tom to be filmed on the execution site, which I found interesting. You'd think they'd be behind a movie like that trying to make them look good.

Only saw a small part of the movie, what I'd like to know is, during the strafing scene in N Africa, did any of the German vehicles move?

I recall seeing a special on TV a while back where a collector who owns several similar German vehicles was previewed. The half tracked mounted 37mm and 20mm Flak in 222 afv looked very similar to what this collector has. The PZIV F2/G didn't look real, maybe someone knows better. Although the 37 looked like it was recoiling I'm guessing the flash signature was special effects.

If anyone can confirm a real firing without special effects please post. I think that version of the 37 used 2 stripper clips of 6 rds each, latter versions in 1943 had 8 rds each feeding from the side, while the afv mounted 20mm version may have been limited to 10 rds mags because of the confines in the afv, don't think the standard 20 rds mags fit in the afv mount.

Would be a miracle to shoot something down with those. Even though it looks like they were trying to put up a curtain of fire in the flight path, so there may be some attempt at realism there. Depending what you like, I'm guessing this may be the only coolest part in the movie showing any afv's and firing sequences.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gorge Drifter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Surprisingly the German Government didn't even allow Tom to be filmed on the execution site, which I found interesting. You'd think they'd be behind a movie like that trying to make them look good.</div></div>

Weird - the behind the scenes documentary on the filming went into detail about how the government allowed them to shoot the execution sequence in the courtyard of the Bendlerblock. But yes, Cruise's involvement did create a lot of frustration with the government.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Weird - the behind the scenes documentary on the filming went into detail about how the government allowed them to shoot the execution sequence in the courtyard of the Bendlerblock. </div></div>

I got this info from BBC World News, and possibly also DW. I should have it on tape somewhere. I don't know what else took place in the movie but from what little I saw, I liked that N. Africa sequence.