• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Waste of time lapping a factory 700s bolt?

Glennp

Private
Minuteman
As the title suggests. I have a stock .308 700 SPS, only real upgrade is a HS precision stock. I shoot around .5moa regularly at 100 yards w/reloads but im always pushing the limit for a factory rig....
I'm thinking about lapping my lugs. Is this a waste of time on a factory rifle or will I most likely see an improvement?

Re: Waste of time lapping a factory 700s bolt?

Well, if you have uniform engagement on both lugs, you most likely wont notice any improvement. You can check this by looking at the wear on the rear of the lugs. If wear is uneven, that may be a canidate for some light lapping.

Kirk R

Seriously doubt you will do anything but waste lapping compound, elbow grease, and time.

Just my opinion and you know what people say about opinions...

Take a non permenent marker and mark the rear of both lugs, then cycle your bolt in your action putting rearward pressure on the bolt handle. Then remove and inspect. If the markings on both lugs are faded, you are good to go, if only one, then you could lap, but its better to send it to a smith and have them do it, they can set your barrel back and recut the chamber at the same time also, which will also help accuracy.

If I had to guess, you only have contact on one lug. I have not seen a factory Rem 700 come into the shop in a long time that had full contact on both lugs. Dont get me wrong im not bashing the 700 becouse I love them and probably one of the best factory actions on the market.
Like someone else said above you need to remove the barrel to properly lap the lugs. You will also need to set the barrel back to reheadspace the barrel. When you lap the lugs you are also increaceing the distance between the bolt face and the barrel which will increase your headspace and most factory rifles are already on the plus side of headspace already.

I would not waste the time doing it until you are ready to put a new barrel on it. Then have a smith square the action, lap the lugs, square the bolt and surface grind the recoil lug. They you will notice the difference and it will be worth the time.

Just my .02 worth.. Good luck..

What I will do with a half minute factory rifle? Kiss it and enjoy it. It is not broke, don't try to fix it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 81STFACP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you I will do with a half minute factory rifle? Kiss it and enjoy it. It is not broke, don't try to fix it. </div></div>

That is common sense, except the kissing.
Talking to your gun is ok.
eafdcc90.jpg

Inspector Sledge Hammer talks to his gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clark</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 81STFACP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you I will do with a half minute factory rifle? Kiss it and enjoy it. It is not broke, don't try to fix it. </div></div>

That is common sense, except the kissing.
Talking to your gun is ok.
eafdcc90.jpg

Inspector Sledge Hammer talks to his gun. </div></div>
Oh no!! its very important to kiss it too, talking is good but kissing is better.

Learned from a cranky 'ole boy named TJ Jackson who did the metal work on my bench guns years ago. He said. "A real good barrel is like a good woman, they are very few and far between, kiss 'em and enjoy em"

Unless you are ready to reset the bbl. about all you are going to do is to ADD headspace.....IF your "junk" is truely a factory/OEM 1/2 MOA rig, LEAVE IT ALONE.
Respectfully,
LG

I asked the smith that did my bolt extension and trigger work the same question on the same rifle you have. His comment was bring it back after I shot it 1000 rounds and let's look at the bolt then. He said it's new and working fine don't waste the money on lapping the bolt.

i agree on the bble removal part. Shoot the thing till it pukes, get a BERGARA drop in bbl, lap the lugs and true up when bbl is removed then install the BERGARA yourself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lumpy grits</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unless you are ready to reset the bbl. about all you are going to do is to ADD headspace.....IF your "junk" is truely a factory/OEM 1/2 MOA rig, LEAVE IT ALONE.
Respectfully,
LG </div></div>
By "junk", I gather you are referring to GlenP's rifle in a positive note?
confused.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 81STFACP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What I will do with a half minute factory rifle? Kiss it and enjoy it. It is not broke, don't try to fix it. </div></div>

+1. Shoot that puppy and forget about the bolt lugs. When the barrel is shot out, take the rifle to a good 'smith and have the action properly bluprinted when the new barrel is installed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slurpin dog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lumpy grits</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Unless you are ready to reset the bbl. about all you are going to do is to ADD headspace.....IF your "junk" is truely a factory/OEM 1/2 MOA rig, LEAVE IT ALONE.
Respectfully,
LG </div></div>
By "junk", I gather you are referring to GlenP's rifle in a positive note?
confused.gif
</div></div>

N/S

Here's the nuts and bolts part of it. Without machining both surfaces true to start with all you're doing is taking a high spot on one part and making a low spot on the other. Lapping is used to mate two machined surfaces together. Now with that being said I have used a piloted lap with the barrel removed to lap the lugs flat. That's done by continually truing the lap during the process. Using a marker and checking contact can be misleading. You may be wiping the mark off on the leading edge of the action lugs as you close the bolt and the whole time have very little contact on the rest of the lug.