• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Waste of Time!!

3fingervic

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2011
Clinton Twp., MI U.S.A.
Turn rant on. My wife and I spent 5 hours yesterday doing yard work. That is a total of 10 man hours of work, and to be honest we are not done. I cut, edged and trimmed the lawn. Then I "weed and fed" the lawn, to make it grow faster. I spot sprayed weeds with weed killer. My wife weeded the "garden". I use quotes because we can't eat anything that grows in there. We just have beds with plants and trees in them.

Next week will be more of the same. I'll deal with the lawn, she'll pull more weeds and we'll lay down more mulch. We seem to need more of that every year, although we get more every other. We have a home on a 65'x120 lot in a subdivision, with no landscaping to speak of in the backyard.

My question is why do we spend so much time and money on a project with so little return? Turn rant off.

Re: Waste of Time!!

this cycle of pain shall continue untill you get your balls out of your wife's change purse and go shootin instead

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3fingervic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My wife and I spent 5 hours yesterday doing yard work. That is a total of 10 man hours of work</div></div>Is there something that you are not telling us?
laugh.gif

I guess it could be seen that way, but she complains about it too. If we didn't do the work, the front yard would look like a jungle. I know I'm not the only guy putting in a minimum of 3 hours a week on his yard only to have it look "okay". I guess I'm trying to keep up with the Jones'.

That is why my next house will be in the desert or the woods. No grass to grow or an "I don't give a fuck" attitude going on.

ROFL good point on it.... I don't do shit to help with the way my yard looks other than mow it when I am home and pay someone to do it when I am not... It chaps my ass for my wife to pay even a nickel for some dumb ass looking plant. On the flip side we have tried a garden in the back yard, dug down 12" and installed decent "planter soil" in its place for this garden. I worked my ass off to make it. Left to go back to the box after the plantings and I am not sure we have gotten jack shit out of that garden...

Summary, funny or "cute" plants seem to be no brainers to grow.

Functional edible items appear to be a bitch to grow..

If I had my way the front yard would be covered in gravel... Or maybe even just concrete the whole damn thing to make room so I don't have to park my truck in the road.

Do what I do. Get a couple abandoned cars, take the doors off of them, fence the lot, and get about 12 goats. I grow weed in my shed.

When I built my house, I had no grass, but I got tired of all the mud in the house. Then anything green was welcome. I finally got grass to replace the mud. Then I would spend my weekends mowing grass. Last year, everything that cuts grass broke down, and the grass only got cut twice all season. If it wasn't for the ticks and mosquetos, I wouldn't bother, but it has to be done.
The guy who invents a replacement for yard grass, that doesn't need regular maintenance, will be the next Bill Gates.

Out of the yard business a long time ago, it seems we have turned into a nation of gardeners whether we wanted to or not.....always thought English ivy would be suitable, easy to manage, don't have to cut it and is a evergreen.........r in w.

Perhaps YOU should do some MAN hours and SHE might forget about "garden".
smile.gif

Just sayin...

Her yard, her work. I don't 'do mulch', got two strong boys to mow stuff and pick stuff up. Me, I gas things up, change oils, make pre mix, and restring weedeaters and make sure batteries are charged and power tools are gassed up for her and the boys. Oh yeah, I pull out stumpy things with the truck, and use a chainsaw to cut shit up once in a while too. Other than that, I like to sit and drink bourbon while she does her thing in the yard, oh and smoke a cigar here and there too
wink.gif

Is there any other place in the world where so much time, $$$, etc. is committed to growing a crop that is put out with the trash?

Screw the mulch. Landscaping timbers and limestone gravel or peebles. Concrete the rest. Get a riding lawn mower and have at it. Low maintenance is key.

If both of you do not like doing it change your yard. One of my friends pulled up his garden fence and grass seeded it. He is much happier.

I spend more time dealing with dog and critter poop than I do mowing.

My neighbor is a lawn nazi and every weekend - swear to God - cuts his grass twice so he gets any patches that might be bent over when the mower goes over 'em. Then he gets out his trimmer and does his sidewalks and drive. Then he gets out his hedge trimmers and eliminates any unsightly growth from the week before. Then he vacuums out his garage and sweeps the floor.

I know this because I watch him out the window while I do my reloading.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1236</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there any other place in the world where so much time, $$$, etc. is committed to growing a crop that is put out with the trash? </div></div>

I guess this is my point. Money, time and materials for no gain. I could see tending a real garden for vegetables or a food plot to hunt over.

It did take 5 hours minus the piss break and a few water breaks (15 mins. total). I cut the grass, and edged the sidewalk driveway walkway to the back and the patio in the back. Then I weed whacked around the fence in the back yard, around the beds, around the few trees that are in the back and a section on the side of the house that the mower won't fit. I used the spreader to lay down a weed and feed product. Then I took a spray bottle of round up and hit the dandy lions and thistles in the lawn. I also sprayed the crack vegetation with weed killer. After that was done, I swept the driveway, sidewalk, walkway and patio down. Most of that was swept back onto the lawn. I then helped my wife get the piles of weeds that she had going into the refuse bags. That all added up to 5 hours.

I don't mind mowing but life's too short to torment yourself for the approval of asshole neighbors who are too stupid to appreciate the value of the recreational re-charge provided by shooting, golf and non conformity!

JD143106_ho_642x462.png

Seriously though, gardening ain't for the inattentive, impatient or people unwilling to observe, discover and fight the critters, weeds, fungi and mineral deficiencies necessary to bring fruit and vegetables to fruition.

Hey, we all have to put time in on things that can get us what we want. As long as there is grass growing in my yard, I never bothered killing weeds. I don't want those chemicals on stuff little kids play on. Just mow it and be done and maybe weed eat occasionally. Side note-my yard does not look as nice as the Jones

Sounds like your mower may be too small. I have an acre and it only takes 45 minutes to mow and 15 minutes to trim. That includes the street drive and around all trees and borders. Work smarter not harder. 48 inch cut is the way to go.

Eddie

Our fucking HOA tries to butt-fuck you if your lawn isn't perfect. Needless to say mine is far from the best looking on the block, though I do have a pretty rocking garden every year in the backyard. Lots of fresh and free herbs and veggies.

We have 1 acre that is all grass with one tree in front. I haven't been able to mow it since my accident in 09, I pay a buddy with a lawn service. I miss doing it personally and now that I'm stronger and generally in better health I've been brain storming. I built my hot rod powerchair and it's quite capable of pulling several hundred pounds up to 12 mph. Sooo I'm outfitting an old mower deck with a motor and wheels so I can pull it behind my wheelchair.

Mowing: 15 mins front and back.
Raking: 5 minutes front and back
Weedwhack: 7 minutes max

I'm into it 27 minutes and done for the week.

Sure everyone wants their yard to look good but ke eping up with the joneses is not my style.

Gardening, I gave that up, here in hte PNW things grow great and then it rains and freezes before it ripens up.

I planted bamboo and love it, gblows nice in the wind, keeps the neighbors eyes out of my yard and requires very little maintenance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Gardening, I gave that up, here in hte PNW things grow great and then it rains and freezes before it ripens up.</div></div>

Is a greenhouse a possibility?

I built my house about centered on 26 3/4 acres. My grass extends about 25 feet from all sides of the house. The rest is in large hardwoods. I cut the grass maybe once a month or two. No HOA, no code enforcers poking around, just peace.
I hate mowing the lawn, so next month I am going to plant some grass I heard about here on the Hide. It's called EMO grass, and it cuts itself....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kinsman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I built my house about centered on 26 3/4 acres. My grass extends about 25 feet from all sides of the house. The rest is in large hardwoods. I cut the grass maybe once a month or two. No HOA, no code enforcers poking around, just peace.
I hate mowing the lawn, so next month I am going to plant some grass I heard about here on the Hide. It's called EMO grass, and it cuts itself.... </div></div>You need a bigger 'free fire' zone. Those trees provide WAY too much cover for an invasion force.

You do have a double perimeter fence topped with concertina and Dobermans patrolling the area between the fences, right?

Back on topic... OP, I'm with you.

If I can afford a nice lawn, I can afford to have a professional take care of it.

I remember spending an entire weekend chopping/hacking/cursing/flailing to remove all the brush and vines from the fence that kept my grandparents from seeing the 1/2 acre pond on the other side of the fence. (And I was happy to do it.)

But it was really disheartening when I went back to their house three months later to find the same plants even more aggressively strangling the fence.

I realized then that plants are indeed alive, and some of them have bad attitudes.

I've got about an acre of "nice lawn" and 3-4 acres of pasture to maintain. After buying a high-end ZTR mower and realizing that the job still sucks I have adjusted my expectations.

My current rules:

- No fertilizer (just makes the shit grow faster)
- That Brown summer lawn isn't all bad - it comes back. Enjoy the break.
- Mow as often as is convenient but not so often that it is inconvenient.
- If it's too high for lawn mower then use the tractor.
wink.gif

But if I had to do it all over again, I would only have about 1/2 an acre of nice lawn and the rest would be fenced in with goats.

When the grass gets too tall in the yard, I open the gate and let the horses in.

Let the chickens scatter the horse poop.

I didn't retire to work my ass off mowing yards and such.

Before I retired I lived in Anchorage. Had a neighbor who was anal about yard work.

He offers to loan me his lawn mower. Told him I had one. He said my grass looked like the mower was broke. I told him come winter my yard will look just like his.

Then winter. He offered to loan me his snow blower to clean off the drive way. Told him no need, I can get in and out. He says it looks bad, told him come summer it'll look just like his.

He stopped pestering me. When I retired and was getting ready to move back to Wyoming, he did help me load up. That was nice of him.

I grew up in NJ and left after 18 yrs of mowing, shoveling, weeding. For the last 34 yrs I've lived in the desert. It's called that because its deserted. No lawns,weeds,trees for me. Just some rocks and gravel to move around once in a while.

When we were looking at houses, I wanted a minimum of 10 acres so the future kids would have room to run, I could build a range, and the neighbors would be far enough away that I didn't lose my mind. We passed up several nice places because some idiot decided to buy a 10 acre plot, and put the house on back so the whole front was lawn to mow.

I ended up with 15.5 acres with the house up front...~1.5 acres to mow. Awkward with trees, so it takes abotu 90min with a 54in mower. One day I'll get a zero-turn, which would take ~30min off. I don't fertilize, I've sprayed once in 5 years for dandelions. I've got the second-worst looking lawn on the street....and I really don't give a shit. With the droughts the last two years, there were 3-4 week stretches it went dormant and I didn't mow at all.

The rest is brushhog territory. The 2 acre vineyard/orchard gets mowed 3X/year, just enough to keep thistles from going to seed. Another ~3 acres I mow 1X every 2 years to keep trees out, the rest I am planting into trees to attract deer to kill and never have to mow it again.

Lawns are a waste of time. Sometimes I look at my property and think it looks like hell, but shooting and spending time with my kids while they are still little and want to spend time with Dad is more valuable.

HOAs can stick it. I'd NEVER live where there is one. One neighbor showed up screaming at my wife because of the noise of me shooting (300 yards away), my lovely wife offered her a 25 cent pair of earplugs and told her nothing was going to change.
smile.gif

Because the freaking Nazi Home Owners Association will put a lien on your property if you don't keep it up to par.

"I hate mowing the lawn, so next month I am going to plant some grass I heard about here on the Hide. It's called EMO grass, and it cuts itself...."

Thats awesome, I need to ask my sister in law if she can help me find some, since she's emo too, she'd know where to get it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VJJPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">this cycle of pain shall continue untill you get your balls out of your wife's change purse and go shootin instead </div></div>

I think it was Greg L that so succinctly gave the answer to this one ..

" Women , they control half of the money and all of the pussy "

Need I say more ?