• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wasting some money on a new build. Need opinions.

TurdFerguson

thinking sucks
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2014
Burgerworld
Have an older 700 Long Action receiver/bolt that I had reworked a while back with the intention of using REMAGE barrels with it (Still has factory threads for barrel/nut). I probably should sell it and go custom but the work has been done might as well use it. Had a financial issue so I pulled the plug long ago, now I am looking at building it again.

Looking at 3006 and 260 barrels to start with. Possibly other calibers based on 308 or 3006 cases. I would use 3006 mdt mags to feed from. I want to build a multi purpose rife mainly for LR fun and occasional coyote hunting.

Chassis options:
-Accuracy International AT
-MDT ESS chassis
-KRG Whiskey 3 (Are the mlock mounts plastic?)

Trigger
-Trigger Tech Special
-Jewell Trigger

I still need to get the recoil lug pinned at some point. I would like to find a Remage carbon wrapped barrel. Any suggestions? Suggestions on chassis/trigger options? I've tried all 3 and find them equally comfortable.

Not a fan of Jewell for field use.
.280 AI
AI chassis is built like a tank, and weighs like one
Don't disocunt the Magpul 700 Pro chassis (if it's ever available). I have two, they are fantastic, but a bit portly as well.
If you're going afield, I'd probably lean to the KRG, make sure to install the adapter for shorter mags

Reactions: TurdFerguson
I didnt realize KRG had mag adapters. Is it a universal adapter or only for KRG stocks?
Their long action chassis are set up for CIP length magazines.
There is a spacer included, make sure to install it.
I would call them and speak with them about it first.

What you say is true, but the work has already been done. He has the action, might as well use it.
Not really. If it was already trued, 8-40, ect then the argument could be made but at this point its throwing good money after bad. The action is the cheapest part of a rifle long term and it's the heart of the rifle.

Not really. If it was already trued, 8-40, ect then the argument could be made but at this point its throwing good money after bad. The action is the cheapest part of a rifle long term and it's the heart of the rifle.
You don't "need" 8-40, apparently the face of the action has been trued. He's talking about a very basic build.

280ai/284win, 162 eldm H4831sc. Bullets and power available in most places, however finding quality brass for either those cartridges can be a challenge sometimes.

Reactions: moosemeat
Ive been going back and forth between the mdt and the ai chassis. Is there a benefit to the ai chassis vs the cool factor? I like well built/thought out.

I would stick 30-06, do some searching for the older threads talking about 30-06 loads with 208eld’s- a 208 at 2750 is nothing to sneeze at.

As for chassis, if it’s a budget conscious build, have you looked into the MDT XRS? I just got one for my 30-06 build and I definitely like it more than I thought it would. Very comfortable.

And for your other question, the only reason to pick AI vs MDT vs KRG would be preference of style/ adjustability. I’ve owned them all and they’re all well made.

If you haven’t held a classic AI grip I would try to hold one before you buy, it’s a love or hate type of grip and there’s no changing it.

I don't own a 280 AI, but a few weeks ago I was out in the hills with a friend to shoot my 300 PRC and 37 XC. Another guy was at our go-to spot and was setting up a target at our shooting location. We'd already set targets at 1600 and 2200 and didn't want to reset them (it took half an hour just to get to the 2200 one), so asked if he wanted to join us - which he did. He had his 280 AI, which was basically a thin-barreled hunting rifle.

He got plenty of hits at 1600. At 2200, he was fully dialed and literally holding over on the last vertical mark on the scope - and was "aiming" at the top of the target. He got more than a few hits.

Count me impressed with the round (and the shooter).

if your not loving the gun your building then why go through it save the money till you can buy something you really want . but all guns deserve a good home where they are used and loved .

@TurdFerguson so which chassis did you pick?

I’m in a similar spot with a Tikka that I’m gonna build out with a shouldered prefit. Was looking at the XRS but might just spend a little more and go with the ESS instead.