• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Optics Watch out had my first scam attempt on this forum

Michael W

I love this place
Minuteman
  • Feb 17, 2020
    Just a heads up.
    I have an ad stating that I'm looking for a nice optic. A member replied to my add saying that their father had a Vortex Razor HD Gen 2 that he was looking to get rid of, he gave me his" fathers " email address. It looked legit up to the point where the guy started asking me to pay through a unsecured app. His email was also in broken English. I've never had this happen on this site and I was a bit surprised. I did report The Jerk that originally emailed me and he's been banned since. I was hoping this wouldn't happen on this site like it does on Armslist and some of the other gun sights.
    Be on the lookout

Unfortunately it's everywhere. We recently found scammers on another site that had an account for over a year, posted 50 or less times and looked 100% legit until the scam occurred and then we dug into the actual posts and they were a word here or there and just nonsense comments. criminals continue to work the angles.

Reactions: NateSavannah
    As a new person to this site, but vet on other sites, my favorite part is the 100 posts and have to be a paid member to sell items. Seems like everyone selling something is trustworthy, and wants to protect the community. Seeing people offer refunds, or talk people out of buying something because it is not the right application, really shows people are invested. So kudos to all of you. But even on other sites the WTB ads are dangerous because anyone can respond. If they don't take PayPal, Zelle, or other well known cash app, that is usually a huge red flag.

I avoid the Cash App like the plague. PayPal, Venmo, Zelle only.

I posted a WTB on ARFcom, guy responded saying his friend had one. Kind of strange but I sent an email. Turned out to be a really nice guy, item came as described. He is also a friend of Killswitch_engage on here so I figured it was probably legit.

I avoid the Cash App like the plague. PayPal, Venmo, Zelle only.

I posted a WTB on ARFcom, guy responded saying his friend had one. Kind of strange but I sent an email. Turned out to be a really nice guy, item came as described. He is also a friend of Killswitch_engage on here so I figured it was probably legit.

who was this 🧐

Yup. Ive gotten messages from some peeps stating their cousins uncle son in law had xyz product for sale and gave me an email address. Guys account just joined a week ago. Lol.
    Gtfoh

I've always had a secure feeling when using PayPal, is Zelle secure? Meaning if something happens are your funds safe?

I've always had a secure feeling when using PayPal, is Zelle secure? Meaning if something happens are your funds safe?
    No. Zelle, Venmo, once the money is sent that’s it. I would only use it if it’s a well known trusted account. Even PayPal is iffy. If they find out it was a gun you bought or really anything even gun related they will tell to pound sand and nuke your account.

Give Scott at Liberty Optics a call on the phone.
    There is a pretty good chance he can give you a legit deal as good as what some "unknown" is offering.

Or buy from someone you know well on the site here, that has a good reputation and is active on the site.

Reactions: Amac305
    I myself dig through the individuals post history to see if the person is a contributing member, or if they are just building post. I also search the user name and photos that they post.

What unsecured app was he asking you to pay through? Also, is there really any protection with the cash type apps? Asking for a friends, brothers sisters boyfriend 😆.

A quote straight from their website
    Zelle® is a fast, safe and easy way to send and receive money with friends, family and others you trust - no matter where they bank1. It's important that you know and trust those you send money to. Because once you authorize a payment to be sent, you can't cancel it if the recipient is already enrolled in Zelle.

Reactions: KYAggie
    For many years now, I've bought and sold quite a lot online with other individuals (i.e. not companies) through a variety of different forum boards like this one, as well as ebay (years ago). I have used PayPal in the past, mostly for the convenience, but I've always been bothered by their gun bias which could totally leave you out in the cold if you have a deal go south.

I think PayPal is risky for gun stuff, and I'm a bit surprised by how hard some people push on using it. Especially the "friends and family" option: Absolutely no recourse if you paid that way and the deal goes wrong. At least with "goods and services" there's a chance at help, depending on how gun related the gear is. I once asked for PayPal intervention on a Kahles scope that was misrepresented, and they did refund money.

I think one of the safest payment forms one can choose is the United States Postal Service Money Order. If someone scams you after accepting that as payment, it's mail fraud, and the U.S. Postal Inspectors can intervene. The one thing is the inconvenience of having to buy multiples for high value items.

You can also send a payment by U.S. Mail, such as a Certified Check, and I think if you're scammed the U.S. Postal Inspectors can intervene too, because I believe that too is mail fraud. I've used this option plenty on really high value items. Just my 2 cents!

A quote straight from their website
    Zelle® is a fast, safe and easy way to send and receive money with friends, family and others you trust - no matter where they bank1. It's important that you know and trust those you send money to. Because once you authorize a payment to be sent, you can't cancel it if the recipient is already enrolled in Zelle.

scammers and con artists are everywhere. our posts can be searched via keyword thru google. con artists can just google "wtb" and find his next list of potential victims from all sorts of forums. its naïve to think that they would skip over snipers hide and just rip off everyone else. sucks theres so many dishonest people out there. but protect yourself and your interests and youll be alright. as they say, keep your head on a swivel.

I don't know how long it's been going on but I just noticed Armslist became a paid site. Armslist used to be the worst site for scammers about 75% of Optics on that site used to be a scam. I wonder if they're migrating over here?

As a new person to this site, but vet on other sites, my favorite part is the 100 posts and have to be a paid member to sell items. Seems like everyone selling something is trustworthy, and wants to protect the community. Seeing people offer refunds, or talk people out of buying something because it is not the right application, really shows people are invested. So kudos to all of you. But even on other sites the WTB ads are dangerous because anyone can respond. If they don't take PayPal, Zelle, or other well known cash app, that is usually a huge red flag.

Other gun related forums would benefit greatly from minimum post count requirements to use the EE

I ask for a pic of the item with my name, email address or whatever written on a piece of paper and placed part way under the item. A legit seller will comply with this request proving they have the item. I automatically send the seller a pic like this when I sell on here. Can the seller still scam you and not send the item-sure but I’ve never had a problem. Knock on wood!!

What is even more fun is getting attacked because a member was unsure about his transaction and reported it,

Our only recourse is banning the offending member, but what happens next we get attacked for trying to protect the membership. Instead they want us too conduct meticulous detailed investigations into the "oversight" when they didn't mail out the item they sold. So it's our fault

It happens a lot on here honestly. If I reported it everytime I’ve bought something then 10 more people be gone. But I get it someone didn’t like it from him. It’s ok cause everyone knows ur pretty much a midget cock sucker behind a key board anyways. That’s why most of the good people are gone. So I’ll exit myself from here so u can feel better from ur hide out

This was yesterday because a member was selling for his cousin and when a potential buyer asked a question the seller had a ask the owner so they felt it was suspicious so they reported them. Well you see the results

Honestly I am beginning to think a few of you need to be scammed, and I might just let you hang yourself a few times because I don't need your bullshit in trying to protect the members of the site,

I had 3 people involved in this event and another 3 in another where a member forgot to send a product they sold and when the buyer complained it was too minor to enforce and my enforcement was too harsh because it was just Rings ... Sure they were late mailing them out but we all have excuses,

No I think a few of you deserve to be ripped off I am taking the month off

Reactions: Newbie2020
    I wouldn’t put to much stock in relying on postal inspectors to properly investigate anything. Yes, you can file a report but that’s about it relative to seeing “Justice Served”.

If you get a mailing address, check it out using goggle earth, might be surprised at what that might reveal.

Reactions: 5pt56
    Report and move on. Scammers are everywhere. Do your do diligence and research the seller before you buy. If you the buyer are uneasy about any transactions on here just cut bait go buy your item retail for piece of mind.

Just a heads up.
    I have an ad stating that I'm looking for a nice optic. A member replied to my add saying that their father had a Vortex Razor HD Gen 2 that he was looking to get rid of, he gave me his" fathers " email address. It looked legit up to the point where the guy started asking me to pay through a unsecured app. His email was also in broken English. I've never had this happen on this site and I was a bit surprised. I did report The Jerk that originally emailed me and he's been banned since. I was hoping this wouldn't happen on this site like it does on Armslist and some of the other gun sights.
    Be on the lookout

Less here then most, but those shitheads find their way into every sale Forum/Thread.. they suck!

Reactions: Hardpan