• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Watch Recommendation ??

Strickland

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2003
Mansfield, Texas
After 9 years my Casio G-shock is tits up. I'm looking to upgrade. The 3 watches I am looking at are the

Casio Pathfinder
Suunto Vector
Suunto X-Lander

I think the Suunto's are way overkill for me but what the hell, I only buy a watch about every 10 years anyway. I'm just not sure they will hold up on me. I think the Casio is more rugged.

Ideas? Preferences?

Thanks

Strickland

Re: Watch Recommendation ??

I have the x lander. It's a good watch, plenty of gee whiz features, it is big though (tall watch and large in diameter). No issues with it in the two yrs ive had mine.

AS

i really like my suunto, has more shhit on it than i can use really

Find a nice used rolex submariner, classic styling that will be a life long investment and I have never lost and typically on make money buying a good used Rolex after keeping them for a few years

If that is out of the price range I have been happy with my TAG for around 1k

My friend bought a luminoks and it was nice for the money, and is in the price point of the others

Strickland,

Maybe you need to be more clear with what you're looking to have the watch do. There's been a few watch threads here recently suggesting everything from a Timex Ironman to Rolex. Dress, tactical, functional? Let us know.

I was in a rush earlier when I made my suggestion, so let me expand a bit. Here's what I really like about my Pathfinder PAW-1300T:

Solar powered. I hated changing batteries in my old Seiko Dive watch every 2 years, and I had it crap out on me in Afghanistan in 2001 when KAF still had craters in the runway, so getting a replacement wasn't an option and I was screwed for the next two months. Cold kills batteries, and I haven't had a non-solar powered watch since. Even my dress watch is a Citizen Eco-Drive.

Tough titanium band and mineral crystal. I beat the hell out of this watch. It hasn't left my wrist for the last two years, never popped a pin, and has a minuscule scratch in the crystal. It's not a fancy watch, but it is still attractive enough that I can wear it around town to a nice(r) restaurant without embarrassing my wife who is usually dressed a couple society notches above me.

Full featured. Multiple alarms, a chrono/timer that runs for days, dual time and easily changed time zones (even the +4.5 for Kabul), and when I'm stateside it has the atomic timekeeping. It's currently +1.5 seconds after not having been set for the last month, so it's pretty accurate too without it.

Pathfinder sensors. Barometer, altimeter, compass, and a thermometer if I take it off my wrist for a bit and let it hit the open air. You can get your density altitude very easily with it.

It isn't huge. The 1300 series is the slim model. It isn't much bigger than most dive watches, and with the titanium band it is light as hell. I hate the big watches that are always getting caught on crap.

It isn't expensive. $210 last time I checked on Amazon. Some guys need their watch to be a status symbol for them either because of their line of work or whatever. I don't give a damn about that because I work in a shithole anyhow. I just want functional, and I see a Rolex or TAG as another gun I can get.

I haven't owned a Suunto, but I do get a smile and rub a little salt in the wound every time one of my co-workers bitches that their Suunto's batteries died or the band just broke.

There's a recommendation for you. Hope it helps you in your decision. S/F.

I bought a non atomic Pathfider a year ago and while I liked all of the features it did not keep accurate time. The watch lost 12 seconds a month. When I called Casio they stated that + or - 15 seconds a month is within their acceptable range. While it's acceptable to them it wasn't to me. I decided to give it another try and ended up with another Casio. This time a Solar / Atomic Pathfinder. I have checked the time on several occassions againt the USNO and it is dead nuts on. I have recalibrated the declination in the compass and it appears to match reading pretty well to my Garmin 60CSx and Silva compasses. I have both the Vector and the Casio. They are very similar in size but the Casio is thicker and heavier. While I like the Vector I think that I would go with the Casio if I had to stick with one watch.

Had a Suunto Stainless Observer for 7 years. Love the watch body and functions, but the plastic/rubber in the band is atrocious and breaks every two years - $100 to replace.
This is a well established flaw with the Suunto and they won't do chit about improving the band. Result - I am letting a $350 dollar watch rot with a broken band that I've replaced twice.

Just got a Victorinox Dive Master 500 - SPECTACULAR watch.

+1 for the Suunto - I have one, and like it, but it's got more stuff on it than I'll ever have to use. It took me a couple days just to read the damn manual.
+1 for the Rolex Sub too - you can't go wrong with that watch for the rest of your life.

The Cassio PAW 1300T is a great watch.

Full technical capabilities:

Multi-Band Atomic Timekeeping (US, UK, Germany, Japan)
Receives time calibration radio signals which keep the displayed time accurate
Auto receive function (up to 6 times per day)
Manual receive function
Signal: US WWVB, UK MSF, Germany DCF77, Japan JJY40/JJY60
Frequency: US 60kHz, UK 60kHz, Germany 77.5kHz, Japan 40/60kHz
Tough Solar Power
Digital Compass
16 points of measurement
Measuring range: 0 to 359 degrees
Measuring unit: 1 degree
Bearing Memory
Memory Capacity: 1 record (stored direction angle and indicator)
Altimeter
Measuring range: -700 to 10,000m (-2,300 to 32,800ft)
Measuring unit: 5m (20ft)
Auto memory measurements
Altimeter Memory
Memory capacity: 40 records
Measurement data: altitude, month, date, time
High / Low altitude memory
Cumulative ascent / descent memory
Relative altitude display
Altitude tendency graph
Altitude differential graphic
Barometer
Display range: 260 to 1,100 hPa (7.65 to 32.45 inHg)
Display unit: 1 hPa (0.05 inHg)
Atmospheric pressure tendency graph
Atmospheric pressure differential grapic
Thermometer
Display range: -10 to 60 C (14 to 140 F)
Display unit: 0.1 C (0.2 F)
100M Water Resistant
Low Temperature Resistant (-10 C / 14 F)
Full Auto EL Backlight with Afterglow
World Time
29 times zones (30 cities), city code display, daylight saving on/off
5 Daily Alarms
Countdown Timer
Measuring unit: 1 second
Countdown range: 1 minute to 24 hours
Countdown Alarm
1/100 second stopwatch
Measuring capacity: 23:59'59.99"
Measuring modes: Elapsed time, split time, 1st-2nd place times
Hourly Time Signal
Auto Calendar (pre-programmed until the year 2099)
12/24 Hour Formats
Button operation tone on/off
Accuracy: +/-20 seconds per month (with no signal calibration)
Storage Battery CTL1616
Battery Power Indicator
Power Saving Function
Approx. battery life: 5 months on full charge (without further exposure to light)
Module 3070
Size of case/total weight
PAW1300 56.9 x 47.4 x 11.5mm / 60g
PAW1300T 56.9 X 47.4 X 11.5mm / 97g
PAW1300G 56.9 x 47.4 x 11.5mm/55g

I have the Suunto X-Lander, don't use half the stuff on it and the compass needs calibrating often, but the band is really tough and it takes a beating, and keeps time well, wish it had a timer/stopwatch though, done 3 deployments with it and still good to go, plus it looks good and it's all about looking cool.

B/R

+1 suunto. Mine made it through 4 years of military service, including a 14 month deployment. After 6 years the band finally broke and I lost it. I loved that watch, and have another on order.

Tomxx21 the x-lander does have a stopwatch/countdown timer. And as far as the band goes, mine was plenty tough, but the piece that kept the tail of the band in place broke. So I replaced it with a TAD dive watch strap, and its back in action.

Alabamashooter well thanks for pointing that out to me after all this time I owned this I never knew that, even tho I look like a serious shmo, and asked my buddy where it is, glad I have that feature. I need to start reading manuals with things.

B/R

Yes, it's true..... Tomxx21 actually came over and asked me if there was and how to use the stopwatch/timer!!!!! What a genius :))

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Strickland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After 9 years my Casio G-shock is tits up. I'm looking to upgrade. The 3 watches I am looking at are the

Casio Pathfinder
Suunto Vector
Suunto X-Lander

I think the Suunto's are way overkill for me but what the hell, I only buy a watch about every 10 years anyway. I'm just not sure they will hold up on me. I think the Casio is more rugged.

Ideas? Preferences?

Thanks

Strickland </div></div>

http://www.8541tactical.com/pag405v_review.php

I have a rolex Sub and love it, but it wont give you the data that the Suunto's will, just looked at that watch and I would pop for one in a heart beat if I was looking for one....

Hey guys, thanks for all the suggestions. It's looking like the Pathfinder is where I am headed. The solar and atomic features I believe are what's driving it. I've had buddies with Suunto's and the eating batteries thing I could just never get over.

And as hard as I am on things, I think the Casio will hold up longer for me. That big face on the Suunto's just scream scratches (based on how I treat things).

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Strickland

I have a Suunto Vector that I bought almost five years ago and had nothing but great things to say about it until recently.

As others have said, the band will break. Replacing it is no big deal. After four years, the spring pin pulled through the hole on the frame, so I sent it back to Suunto and it ended up costing me $55 as it was out of warranty. Excellent CS and I ended up with a new upper and lower housing and bezel; it looked brand new.

Four months later the spring pin pulled through the holes on the frame again. At the time I was leaning back on my bed and the watch slipped down about 1/4" to where the crease of my wrist torqued the watch slightly and it just broke. Here's my bitching rant with pictures - http://fateoflegions.blogspot.com/2010/11/equipment-change-proposal-suunto.html

After seeing that Suunto put that much thought into a watch with all those features, and then built the frame with two teeny plastic nubs to hold the part of a watch which secures it to your wrist, I will never buy one of their products again. I fixed mine with some JB Weld for the time being, and now that I don't trust the watch any more, I'm looking at buying an all steel watch.

I have a Tissot T-Touch with steel chain, bought it 9 years ago and it has held up through some really heavy use. I've worn it every single day, that includes field use during four years of military service. I've never even had to change the battery!

I have a Citizens Aqualand N. D. Limits that is 16 years old. It survived the Marine Corps and all my outdoor activities : mountain biking , fishing , hiking , swimming , rock climbing , and more round firred than I care to admit , and I wear it on my strong hand for handgun. I have gone through 3 Citizen rubber bands and 3 or 4 Waterborne bands (which I highly recomend). I have replaced the batteries 3 or 4 times and had it recertified 1 time. I have never had any troubles and it keeps very good time. I love it , I have gone through several other very nice watches and keep going back to it within a day or two. I have been tring to talk myself into buying a Seamaster for some time but cant seem to come to terms with not wearing the Citizen. You can find a old one like mine on e-bay for very short money.

I just wanted to post back on what I got. I ended up getting a Casio Pathfinder PAW1100T-7V. I went to REI as that was the only place that had watches I could get my dickbeaters on. Plus they had it on sale from $300 to $200. So a good deal. Pretty cool so far. The titanium band is very light so I like that.

The main gist of what I was looking for was something that would give me baro pressure and temp for the 2 times a year I get to go shoot...
smile.gif

paw1100t-7v_large.jpg

Thanks all for the input.

Of the 3 watches listed by the OP, I would go with some type of Pathfinder.

Otherwise it would be a Gshock of some sort or a version of the Marathon SAR.

I have used all 3 watches listed and now have the Casio Pathfinder 3070 (B). Can't beat a Pathfinder for the price, reliability and accuracy especially the Solar powered Atomic type. Beats the tar out of the old olive drab piece of sh-- they use to issue..!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: razzle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Tissot T-Touch with steel chain, bought it 9 years ago and it has held up through some really heavy use. I've worn it every single day, that includes field use during four years of military service. I've never even had to change the battery! </div></div>
Looks like the OP found his watch. Even so, I concur on the Tissot T-Touch for anyone else interested in a do every thing, rugged watch. I have the titanium version with the thick black rubber band. I am happy with it.

I like the Maratac bands as well, I have a few for my Marathon Navigator. My only issue is that the black coating on the buckle comes off pretty quickly.
473636ff.jpg

d2513a16.jpg

I bought a Rolex Submariner when I was in the Marine Corps in 1977. I paid $1200.00 for it new. I wore that watch all around the world, on patrols in the jungle, in arctic regions, during dive ops and jump ops and it is still running strong today, 24 years later. I wear wear it to social functions as well as hunting trips. A Rolex Submariner currently retails for about $8500.00. My watch has provided excellent use and it has appreciated better than any stock that I have ever owned.

I should also add to my previous post. A couple of years ago, I sent the watch to a Rolex repair center to have it gone through. That service cost me about $500.00 and they replaced the crystal, all seals and recalibrated the watch and buffed out the casing and band and it looks as new as the day I bought it.