• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Water Buffalo?

ejd049

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2007
Ft Worth, Texas
I won a water buffalo hunt and need some help? I have done some research but need more input.

Rifle:
What would be the minimum caliber for a water buffalo?
I was wanting to use my 300wsm but don't want to be under gunned. Was also looking at maybe a 338 Lapua.

Meat:
Has anybody had one of these processed? What do they taste like?
It seems it is going to be a truck load of meat!!!

Mount:
What style of mounts would you do on one of these?

Thanks,

Re: Water Buffalo?

Not a clue on any of it, but congrats on winning the hunt and best of luck during the hunt! That should be an awesome time.

Still waiting on more details but the hunt is either Burnet or Blanco County.

Thanks Northern50, I will post some pics. The hunt is in March of 2013.

Your 300 WSM will be fine.

Meat is good. taste a lot like Bison.

Hear is one I shot in Florida,

Have had a couple guys shoot them and the 300WSM will do just fine. Good bonded bullet for penetration is a must.

Chances are it wont be a far shot (50 to 100 yards) and they often dont run off too fast allowing for a follow up shot if needed.

Taste- really depends on what they have been feeding on and how old they are. Ive had some that melts in your mouth and some that wasn't worth a darn.

Mounts- I like the European mounts on a nice plaque.

My father was in the SP during WWII and killed one with a 30 Cal Carbine.

Not to be out done I killed one with a M16a1 in SE Asia.

We tried to eat it, it was about like eating shoe leather. These were domestic animals used for rice farming but they were the only ones I had anything to do with.

I do remember they hated GIs but little Vietnamese kids could herd or drive them anywhere.

Any of the bonded bullets will work fine. If you are really going to eat it, I'd take it in the neck / base of the skull. Have taken them that way with a 308 and they drop like a brick. Not sure if you won a trophy bull or not but if I had the choice and was going to eat it, I'd shoot the youngest one they had. Either way, knock the guts out of it asap and put some ice in the body cavity. Get the hide off of it real quick and get it iced down. Try some of the tenderloin for lunch or dinner that day and if you like it, get it processed. If it is not very good, get some turned into burger and donate the rest. Like others have mentioned they are either pretty good or real bad. Good luck and have fun!

I've been "involved" in a couple of these hunts, around Mountain Home and Junction.

If everything goes well, a solid 300 is OK.... sometimes,,, all is not well and a .... more potent round is called for. One "PH" got his ass handed to him a couple years ago, with a client shooting a 300 WM, and him backing up with same. Saw an almost repeat of this in January of this year, front row seat for that. I was helping scout, found the bull, saw what the guys were shooting, had only a 45 CCW on me. African PH buddy, also with me, was asked " you going to join us on the stalk"... He replied, priceless, "nope, I am going to stay up here in the truck, and film your last buff hunt", and it very nearly came to that. This from someone that makes his living doing it, not me.

Borrow a 375, it IS dangerous game, treat it with the respect it requires. YOu WILL shoot it close, less than 100 yards, bring the appropriate optics.

Most water buffalo I have seen in texas are passive. But a well placed shot with a solid copper or bonded bullet should do the trick. I learned the hard way to take enough gun . I would use a 375 hh or 375 ruger or a solid copper 30 cal bullet in the head.
Hope it goes well.

just took a bison in central cali with a 300 rum shooting 180 gr barnes tsx. plenty of gun. along with teamr2's advice...if you have access to a walk in cooler and the time to do it, clean it as quickly as possible, and let it hang in the cooler for as long as you possibly can to age it (days, not hours if possible). the ranch had water buffalo as well, and from the owner, the wb meat is quite a bit fattier than the lean bison meat. i have not tried it though. i did an european mount on a dead water buffalo that had been baking for a few months. stunk like shit initially, but turned out great. pm me if you plan on doing it yourself and i can give you some lessons learned if you like. good luck to you!

Thanks for the info.

Right now I am looking a loading up some 220gr bullets for my 300wsm. I also have a wild hair to build a 338LM. Good thing I have 10 months to figure it out!!! A friend said I could use his 50bmg but I would have to build a stroller for it.

Finished up that Asiatic water buffalo hunt yesterday. I ended up getting this guy and I think I am set for awhile in meat!!! It was a spot and stock hunt on a thousand plus acre ranch. This buffalo had a bad attitude and the rancher needed him gone. I got a little over a hundred yards when he noticed us and made some aggressive body language. The guide said shoot him before he starts headed this way. I put the crosshairs on his chest with a 300wsm pushing a 210vld bullet. He was still standing but wobbly. He was ready to fight after that. He looked away from us for a split second and I then put another round in his neck. Down he went!! I had a guy backing me up with a 458 lott but didn't need it. This was the first time I hunted something that wanted to put a hurt on me.

Thanks for all the input.

IMG_3313_zpsdc0dc8d9.jpg

IMG_3308_zpsdeb8160f.jpg

Sweet! and the Asiatic buffalo ain't bad either. How's the meat on this one?

99 times out of a 100 in West Africa, if it was called beef, it really was water buffalo. You could tell, the fat had a real wang to it. I hope this thing has been getting fat sweet green clover.

Breeze