• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Waterproof clothing options besides Goretex?

Ghillie Zen

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2009
The Black Lodge
I'm not a fan of Goretex due to the stiffness and noise, but need a fully waterproof outer layer for hunting and outdoor needs.

The jacket/pants must be durable, silent, waterproof, minimal bulk and in a camo pattern or earthtone. Insulation and/or lining is not desired. Don't want to spend more than $300 on the set.

What are my options?

Re: Waterproof clothing options besides Goretex?

Cabelas Dry-Plus. They have some good quiet fabrics and fleece. Decent prices and mine has held up well.

Depends on how hot you are running. eVent fabric breath better than GTex and should be cheaper. Several weights some featherweight but not completely silent. Silent fleece types run hot and don't breath as well. The colder and windier the better for them to breath.

Good luck.

I have noticed that even goretex works much better in the cold. In warm weather you get wet no matter what. If it cold enough to layer a fleece under the shell then it works great.

Some good suggestions guys, keep it comin'.

As a side note, when I was in the Army, we were issued woodland wet weather rain suits and goretex sets as well. The first rain suit I was issued, sucked due to the noise factor and stiffness. A couple years later, I was issued a second set, but this suit seemed to be made with a different type of material that was a lot quieter and less stiff. If I could find another set like this, I'd be a happy man.

Does anyone know what I'm referring to? Is it referred to as a later generation? I see a lot of the issue rain suit sets for sale online for cheap, but I would like to make sure I am getting the quieter, less stiff version.

I have used the Gore-Tex and the Tru-Spec Dintex rain gear with the fleece lining. (AKA ECWCS Gen-2)
Gore-Tex is nice, but the Tru-Spec is right up there in performance and the price is right.

18-142-Product_Primary_Image.jpg

18-143-Product_Primary_Image.jpg

You can get a whole set with the parka, liner, and pants for around $200.
It is available in all the current cammo paterns as well as the standard solids.

Helly Hansen® Roan Anorak Rain Jacket and pants

is what you are looking for, whisper quiet,packable
and have served me well for the last ten years.

Helly Hansen is looking pretty damn promising. Good reputation and price is not bad at all! Going to wait for a couple days before ordering, just in case this thread produces some other alternatives, but right now, that anorak with a set of bibs looks to be the ticket....

Many years ago I worked as drilling rig crew in Canada.
Our derrick hand bought the first set of Helly Hansen under wear that I had seen .
He wore this under his cover alls and was warm all the time -we never shut down drilling etc. for cold weather.

That Helly Hansen stuff has only gotten better now I believe.

Glenn

I've used Cabelas Rain Suede all over the United States hunting different animals. I can honestly say that stuff has performed better for me than rain gear that was 2x to 3x more expensive. I've had the opportunity to use a lot of different manufacturers gear on my hunts from Rivers West, Under Armour, Sitka to Browning and Columbia. Cabelas Rain Suede kept me bone dry in the worst conditions and is packable. Only draw back was the funky hood they put on the regular Rain Suede, it just limits your peripheral vision too much and extends way out over the bill of any hat you would wear.For the price, though, it can't be beat. Under Armour and Sitka were awesome on my hunts, but a lot more pricey than the Cabelas stuff. Sitka is phenomenal, cut in a mountaineering style, so it fits close to the body. But it's features and performance are undeniable. It'll run you a pretty penny though.

Marmot makes a product that works great. It is called MemBrain. It stretches, isn't nearly as loud as Goretex, and doesn't rip very easily. I have abused mine and it hasn't ripped.
Not sure what colors they come in though.

I think your opinion of Gortex is a little dated. They have different types of fabrics including a version used in the 2nd gen military gear that is much softer and quieter. I have a newer tru-spec parka. It's ok, but for truly harsh weather, a top notch gortex jacket is what I'd be looking for.

I have yet to find anything that works up here in the bearing sea I have a gore tex suit desert military brand it sucked on the sea but is ok on land water always run down my crotch never fails when are they going to come out with something decent

I guess artex is the only way to go 500.00 top 500.00 bottom you find something that really keeps you dry with a return if does not work I will buy it

From a Northwest "NorthWet" Skiier.. I'll take Helly Hansen for under $300.00. All my outer ski gear is Helly-tech. I just run a pow suit most of the time, it's a shell/breathable, I have sat on many wet chairlifts and never a wet ass. Broke my femur last Feb and the surgeon didn't want to cut the suit. It was quite painful getting it off but we saved it, lol. I let the med staff cut the Under Armour though, no major loss there.. don't think you'll find it in camo, maybe earthtones. I've been through hell in my HH gear so I'll back it 120%..

Did a quick search under their workwear section, also in realtree
http://www.hhworkwear.com/ww/products/view/153/70448/Impertechwaistpant

Here's the anorak top also available in realtree..
http://www.hhworkwear.com/ww/products/view/161/70206/Roananorak

My vote goes to RIvers west i own their gear and use it hunting in the cold and in the rain. Its keeps me very warm. I live in cali so it doesnt get to cold but we do get some good rains up north. Always stay dry when i go out and it is super durable. I walk through crawl through manzanita bush and that stuff is ruff on clothes. Usally i end up riping and tearing my shirts and pants but with rivers west i am yet to rip or tear anything.

Rivers West is the best option for durability, waterproof and noise as well as price. However....they are very warm, and if you "do work" the pant's are not able to vent enough to avoid sweating. If they came out with a set of slightly lighter duty stuff or less insulation and had OD,Tan and Black they would sell millions to the "Tacticool" world.

I have seen loggers run the hell out of the RW pants and not have a single hole in them, the display for the RW stuff is normally a fountain spewing water over a vest, showing the waterproof ability....what alot of people don't realize is that the resivour for the water and pump is actually the RW material...it is waterproof. But it is "proof" in both directions....IMO

The new Filson stuff looks interesting as well....I am waiting to go to Filson and check out their Elliot Bay Jacket. New style of rain gear, they have a shooting jacket of the newer Nylon type material as well....too new to get any real reviews of it though.

The TAD and the Arcteryx seem to be winners but they are not $300 for a set.

The Cabelas Dry Plus is shit...I had a Blaze Camo Dry Plus parka and it was absolutly not water proof, Cabelas tried to tell me that it absorbed some but it would not transfer to the wearer...BS. I went out in November near the NW coast and got soaked down through three layers wearing the Cabelas stuff....ended up unloading a $160 jacket for $35....will not buy Cabelas Dry Plus ever again.

Nothing from Bass Pro with the Redhead label.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghillie Zen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Helly Hansen is looking pretty damn promising. Good reputation and price is not bad at all! Going to wait for a couple days before ordering, just in case this thread produces some other alternatives, but right now, that anorak with a set of bibs looks to be the ticket.... </div></div>

Be sure you want bibs. Bibs are great for some things but for the average outdoor user you may find they are super hot with two layers of fabric on the chest and back when wearing a jacket over the bibs; a hot swamp on your core. And I do beleive these like most bibs have a kangaroo pocket too so that will be 3 layers of fabric on the chest. I have overheated wearing bibs with single base layer at zero and below.

In addition, bending and stretching can pinch the crotch and shoulders and just sitting can bind here too. And you can get some binding in the knees / crotch going up hill.

Another problem is removing and putting bibs on in the field.

Plus taking a dump with bibs on can be a real chore. A bomb slit from waist to waist is best. A rainbow butt zip is OK but flapping material can get skid marks. Side zip pulling the side over is the worse.