• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Bear Pit Exercise Routine

BoilerUP

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2011
Floyd Co, IN
I was always an avid runner until tearing my right meniscus last May. Had surgery to remove the tear in August and doc said "it was worse than expected, I took over half." Asked if I could run again, he said yes once healed, I did PT, started building mileage then tore the damn thing again while running in a straight line. "You're done, figure out another way to exercise."

Bought a Schwinn IC4 spin bike because I didn't want to spend Peleton money or get into that lifestyle, and while you could get a decent sweat going all a bike does is legs.

Went looking for an elliptical to get a better whole-body workout and save impact on my right knee even though I hate them, and discovered the Airdyne bike. Was really close to getting one of those instead of an elliptical (and saving Razor Gen 2 money in the process), and came across a WaterRower. Made in Rhode Island USA, and it looks familiar, where have I seen those before? Oh that's right, House of Cards.

Anyway, I bought one and HOLY SHIT is this thing an ass-kicking workout...legs, back, core, arms, perfect for HIIT and zero impact on the knees.

Reactions: Maxwell
I've got a Concept 2 model d. Parents have had theirs since early-mid 90's. I don't use it nearly as much as I should but they will kick your butt.

Reactions: Maxwell
Concept2 D here as well. Back on it this month, my left knee has been bothering me since last November when I tried running again.

I feel you runner by trade here XC/track in high school and 1 year of XC in college. I firmly believe the brutal training of 1 year in college set me down the path for knees, but who knows...the track/interval workouts blew my knees up so much speed work. Hit 5/10k road racing hard through mid 30's then ortho said 'articular cartilage about gone total knee next'. He suggested swimming and while I bit my tongue during triathlon days only did it b/c I had to. Learned to love it.....glad you found a replacement for running. My only wish is I'd of come up swimming vs running and my body would likely be a lot happier!

I understand the WaterRower is a bit "faster" than the C2D...averaged 1:51/500m for 6km last week. Yesterday, started with a 500m sprint in 1:30 and followed that with 1000m in 3:34.

My lungs burned and body hurt like it hasn't since high school football 3-a-days.

If you aren't comparing yourself online to others then no need to get a Concept2. I have a waterrower, and prefer the feel of it. I tend to use it for intervals, but have never felt like it did much as far as working actual muscles. It is good for cardio.

20210409_215731.jpg

I use mine as a gun rack and when I'm rowing it feels like I'm on SWCC .... if they had to use row boats :ROFLMAO:

This is heavy as hell, but more efficient than my canoes. I'
20210418_095740.jpg

I'm new to kayaking and feel that I get a better workout from a canoe. Maybe I just haven't developed the skill set for the kayak yet.
20210421_165813.jpg