• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ways to make a digital scale more reliable?

SWThomas

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2013
Fort Lee, VA
I'm currently using a Dillon digital scale to weigh my powder charges. I like the size and the ease of use..., and the fact that it matches all my other Dillon stuff.... But it seems to be pretty inconsistent when used with the power adapter plugged in. I haven't used it enough with just batteries to get an idea of the consistency.

Are these scales more consistent when used with just batteries to power them? Are there ways to overcome the power fluctuations that make these scales inconsistent when they're plugged into an outlet?

Run dryer sheets all over your hands, check weights , and pan. This will help eliminate some of the static that throws the scale off. Also make sure it's level and if you can use that receptacle for the scale only w/ a surge protector. There's also a spray called "Anti-Static" that comes in aerosol cans you can get at any major drugstore. That should help a lot. Also, be sure you have your batteries out of it ( if it will hold batteries while still running on DC). So have it level, with one dedicated power source, with as much anti static you can get. That should help

My GemPro 250 runs stable and consistent on batteries, but it eats them like candy. Rechargeable batteries do not help because their voltage is slightly lower than their regular counterparts. On the adapter it often fluctuates and may not be consistent. Many scales report the same issues.

The fix depends somewhat on what's causing the problem. At the end of the day, that little wall-wart transformer just can't provide noise and ripple-free DC like a battery lol. Sometimes clamping noise-reducing ferrite cores near one or both ends of the power cord, not using the same circuit as A/V equipment, and/or keeping other power cords away from it may help.

I've toyed with the idea of using an old PC power supply to run the scale, but haven't solved the problem of getting the exact voltage I need (YMMV) out of it without introducing a noisy component. There are also (expensive) filtered power supplies commercially available that may help.

They can be sensitive to other things running in the house. Even a ceiling fan running in another room can mess with them. Microwaves are bad too. I have even had different results from changing between which of the 2 receptacles it is plugged into.
I have one receptacle in my loading room that it works on, all the others cause problems and they are the same circuit. There is one in the kitchen it works on, several others I haven't tried.
Extension cords can cause problems.
Sometimes putting a ferrite EMI/RF filter on the power cord helps.