• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

WC844 opinions

Edo1

Private
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2011
Gillette,Wy
Thinking about buying some of this surplus powder and giving it a try. Any opinions on using it in 223 and 40 grn bullets for varmint ammo? Also, any suggestions on who to buy it from? Thanks

Re: WC844 opinions

http://gibrass.com/gunpowder.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gibrass.com</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> WC844 Original application is U.S. 5.56mm NATO Ball M193 (55gr) & M855 (62gr),
plus Tracer M196 & M856. Typical starting load for 55gr bullet is 26gr,
and 62gr load is 25gr. A ball powder which can be loaded with Hodgdon H335 data.
This is pulldown powder.
$100/8# jug. $528 for 6 jugs ($88ea) and no HAZMAT charge "

</div></div>

WC844 (H-335) is a great powder for 5.56 and the 308 Win. for blasting ammo. I've bee using WC844 and Hodgdon H-335 for the past 35 years. It's a little temperature sensitive, but it is a very accurate powder.

Good powder, but use with caution til you do adequate testing. They (whoever "they" are) say to use H335 specs, but I've found it to be a little hotter/faster than the H335 I compared it to. Varies a good bit from lot-to-lot as well. Just be careful and you'll be fine. I would personally buy it from Widener's but they're out of it for now. So Patsreloading, GIBrass, or hi-techammo would be the other sources I know of.

As a side note, when compared visually to TAC, (which I also use a lot of) you can't tell one from the other once they leave the container.