• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

WD-40 in gun cases

ArcticFun

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2009
Wasilla, Alaska
How does WD-40 work in a gun case as a rust preventative? I know rem oil works amazing but after a recent hunting trip to Montague Island my pistol had some severe surface rust on the barrel, slide and frame. This was after oiling and cleaning my gun before and after it was used for the duration of the trip. I was thinking of coating the inside of my pistol case with WD-40 as kinda of a passive way to fight rust.

Re: WD-40 in gun cases

It won't work very well. WD40 is a solvent and will evaporate in no time. It's great for displacing water, but not for preventing moisture contamination.

WD40 is a nogo! It's shellfish based and will rust your shit! Never put it on firearms!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It's shellfish based </div></div>

Source?

1911fan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It's shellfish based </div></div>

Source?

1911fan </div></div>
My old RI , I was told never to put that shit on my weapons.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It's shellfish based </div></div>

Source?

1911fan </div></div>

And a rusted 1187 as a kid after duck hunting as a kid.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1911fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It's shellfish based </div></div>

Source?

1911fan </div></div>

And a rusted 1187 as a kid after duck hunting as a kid. </div></div>

Have a very similar experience with wd-40 and an 870 wingmaster my dad got me. lets just say the original bluing is no longer part of the shotty. Thought I was doin good spraying it off with WD before the trip home from Kansas.

Break free has served me well over the years. I've used some of the newer synthetic lubricants and they work great as well. I'd stay away from WD-40. Be careful if you have nite-sights on your pistol. Some oils will break down the glue that holds the tritium capsule in the sight.

WD40 ingerdients:
50%: Stoddard solvent (i.e., mineral spirits -- primarily hexane, somewhat similar to kerosene)
25%: Liquefied petroleum gas (presumably as a propellant; carbon dioxide is now used instead to reduce WD-40's considerable flammability)
15+%: Mineral oil (light lubricating oil)
10-%: Inert ingredients

Montague Island says it all!!I think that place has set the record for the most ruined firearms in the fastest time ever! For those of you not familiar with Alaska whip out a map and look for a large island in the southern portion of Prince William Sound to the east of the Kenai Peninsula!

BreakFree, I have used it exclusively on everything since I received a sample bottle with my first Weatherby Mark V back in the 70s. Never once using these blued rifles in Alaska has it ever developed a spot of rust. Used it in boats in Alaskan weather, wiped down every night with a sock soaked with BF and also patched it. When I was overseas and TDY, all firearms were coated well, left locked up for up to one year plus, came home no rust. When our hot water heater blew and sprayed a mist all over the house and left standing water, I forgot to inspect or care for my Mark Vs (all firearms) until sighting in before hunting season, wood warped but no rust.

10/22 not so lucky but I had it since mid 60s. It is well characterized being all over the state for all those years. 500 same as 10/22. Very rusty used in Alaska carrying it all over the state. But, they have not developed any more rust since using BF.

WD-40 ... Water Displacement - 40th formula tried. Use it on wet distributors but as a preservative? No. Breakfree is better but the real problem with rust in cases is the fact that the open cell foam that is typically used in cases like Pelicans holds moisture. I replaced that foam with "minicell" foam. Expensive, but no foam.

Don't do long term storage in a case with open cell foam. But shoot the gun down with breakfree. Leave the wd-40 on the shelf. Oh, if you want to break rust on nuts and bolts use PB Blaster. AWESOME stuff.

in the instructions manual of my HTR HS precision there is written that after cleaning you can drop some WD40..

WD40 is fine. It's been around a long time and is seen at almost any line you get into to pay for something. People have been using it on firearms for a very long time. Basically, it is white spirits but does have some compounds that will help prevent rust. States right on the can that it prevents rust. <span style="text-decoration: underline">Those old fox hunters in East Texas use it all the time. It is very humid and wet in East Texas. I never saw any rust on their rifles and they never heard of all these other products and probably could care less.</span>

WD40 is bourgeois so most people don't use it or recommend it. Doesn't mean it doesn't perform as advertised.

BTW, I do the same thing LoneWolf does with CLP only I use WD40. Doesn't make either wrong. It's not that big of a deal. I just think WD40 gets a bum rap simply because WD40 is so common.

EDIT: There is a lot of misinformation around about WD40. Things like it is made from earthworms and shit like that. If it sounds stupid it probably is wrong.

Sorry, but WD40 is good stuff. Just don't use it if you don't want to use it.

We ship stuff all over the world, some on ships, and it gets wet! Surprise surprise.....

WE find that Corrosion Block, that blue foam stuff is good, but expensive. I have also had success with LPS, we buy it in 5 gallon buckets and either mop it on with rags or spray bottles.

And yes, CLP too! No dove hunting trip to 3rd world country is complete without a can apiece of that, both the lube and the cleaner. Have sat on the runway in a downpour, looking at the gun cases on the tarmac outside, in the rain. Definately the foam holds water, had to leave them out to dry for a couple days in the sun on arrival. CLP saved the shotties tho..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WD40 is a nogo! It's shellfish based and will rust your shit! Never put it on firearms! </div></div>

BS!

I was more of looking for alternatives for when I'm in a pinch, as in now when there's no rem oil over at sportsmans. Thanks for all the suggestions as well though. WD-40 works extremely well as a rust cleaner and as a "light" lubricant. I used it to clean all the surface rust off of my pistol to great effect. I'll see what's at the store the next time I go though.

Also Montague Island's weather for the 4 days I was there: 55F, Dense Fog (50-75ft of visibility), Light frequent rains, and I'm damn near certain the humidity was high up there because I was standing in clouds. We also slept on boats at the base of the mountain so the salt content in the air was high. Not very gun friendly.

Alaska is hard on everything. They poor boiled linseed oil down the tubing of light aircraft airframes to prevent rust over time. Imagine flying along and your airframe breaks from corrosion. Use whatever you got handy. That's the Alaskan way. Say hello to Sarah.

Corrosion-X is the stuff to buy, if you want something thin that can be sprayed. I worked in the marine (saltwater boat) industry for 20 years, and I have never seen anything even close to Corrosion-X.

www.corrosionx.com

Avoid using any “linseed oil” based oil or preservative, as it’s a polymer. Meaning it will harden as it oxidizes, it forms a hard shell barrier and will “lock-up” any moving parts. Even the action in a bolt gun. Great for protecting against rust as a moisture barrier but not having any long term lubricity. Use petroleum or vegetable based protectnt without driers or cleaners for storage. Products like WD-40 are great for cleaning but not storage protection. The Rem oil is fine.

Actual research on the subject.

I don't like WD-40 (WD-40 MSDS), it has nasty consequences (fish-eye during finishing with solvent based finishing products, and contamination that prevents repairing a cured finish after) with wood finishes, and in my experience, tends to gum up over time. IMHO, Rem Oil is similar, if not identical to WD-40. They sure smell the same.

I prefer to put Rust Prevention Paper between the case and the foam. VCI process.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticFun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How does WD-40 work in a gun case as a rust preventative? I know rem oil works amazing but after a recent hunting trip to Montague Island my pistol had some severe surface rust on the barrel, slide and frame. This was after oiling and cleaning my gun before and after it was used for the duration of the trip. I was thinking of coating the inside of my pistol case with WD-40 as kinda of a passive way to fight rust. </div></div>

What kind of pistol??

Breakfree for 30 years, all weathers, lots of coastal, around the world. Superb in all regards.

Tri-Flo for 30 years, all weathers, lots of coastal, around the world, Superb in all regards.

WD40, not for 30 years, nor do I use bear grease patches, wear garlic cloves around my neck or leave offerings to Big Baloo anymore...It is not a lubricant, it will gum up over extended periods and is a pain to remove. It does not clean, and is hygroscopic!

Do not forget it has to be a <span style="font-weight: bold">great lube as well</span>!

http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html

http://www.slip2000.com/media/lubricant/Corrosion_Analysis.pdf

http://www.home-machine-shop.com/Rust-Off.htm

Gun Case? CLosed or Open Foam? Gun cases are the kiss of death for wet world storage..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lumpy grits</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WD40 is a nogo! It's shellfish based and will rust your shit! Never put it on firearms! </div></div>

BS!
</div></div>

No -- it is actually made using the remains of sea creatures. Just like gasoline...

http://ezinearticles.com/?How-Petroleum-is-Formed&id=786475

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c1steve</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Corrosion-X is the stuff to buy, if you want something thin that can be sprayed. I worked in the marine (saltwater boat) industry for 20 years, and I have never seen anything even close to Corrosion-X.

www.corrosionx.com </div></div>

I use it on my guns and salt fishing reels. I haven't cleaned my SBE in 8 years, and its been dropped in the salt water many times (twice a duck season or so). Hose it out with fresh water then spray some corrosion X on the bolt.

I only use WD40 when my firearms get drenched in the rain. Get them home, dry off with towel, Spray with WD40, Wipe WD40 off then use compressed air to blow the rest of the WD40 out of where ever it has seeped in, wipe off excess. Then I apply CLP to all surfaces that might rust. I use a toothbrush with CLP added to the bristles. Then I use compressed air to blow CLP into hard to reach areas.

So far I've never had a rust problem.

All my hard cases I put dry silica gel into. (Kitty litter stuff, put into an old tied off sock.)

Don't stuff a wet firearm into a hard or soft case. So far I've never had any issues with gunsocks tho. These are the simple socks impregnated with silicone, which are supposed to help with rust prevention.

Eezox and Sentry Teflon wipes. +1 for using closed-cell foam in your case. As me why we switched after returning from a South America trip.

Thanks for all the help guys. I know WD-40 is far from ideal but sometimes you use what you have to use. I just went and ordered some of that Corrision X (none was in stock) and I'll use that to coat the inside of my gun case's. I then ordered some replacement foam for my pistol case to replace the egg crate from it has. Also for cleaning I switched to what I use on the boat, Acetone for dirt and stains and Ospho for the rust.

And for those that were wondering the pistol is a Kimber Custom II in .45ACP.

A friend, now deceased, was the liaison for certain missiles maintained at Robins AFB and the end user, the US Navy. He was also one of the top 1911 pistolsmiths in the country. He warned me away from WD-40. It's a great water displacement vehicle but has very poor lubrication qualities. According to him, the Navy stopped using it when they begin having corrosion problems in areas where WD-40 was routinely applied. OTOH, he swore by Breakfree. His parkerizing was second to none and once the part was removed from the tank, it came in for a liberal dousing with Breakfree.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">..

Breakfree for 30 years, all weathers, lots of coastal, around the world. Superb in all regards.

Tri-Flo for 30 years, all weathers, lots of coastal, around the world, Superb in all regards.

WD40, not for 30 years, nor do I use bear grease patches, wear garlic cloves around my neck or leave offerings to Big Baloo anymore...It is not a lubricant, it will gum up over extended periods and is a pain to remove. It does not clean, and is hygroscopic!
+1 on that. I used WD40 several years ago. I put it on some of my weapons and stored them it the safe. They had some rust and even turned tackey and stickey in places.

Do not forget it has to be a <span style="font-weight: bold">great lube as well</span>!

http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html

http://www.slip2000.com/media/lubricant/Corrosion_Analysis.pdf

http://www.home-machine-shop.com/Rust-Off.htm

Gun Case? CLosed or Open Foam? Gun cases are the kiss of death for wet world storage..

.. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WD40 is a nogo! It's shellfish based and will rust your shit! Never put it on firearms! </div></div>
I knew there was something fishy about that stuff. My buddy's grandad sprayed it on his knees and elbows to (keep his joints lubed up).

I spray all of the foam in my gun cases with Silicone spray. I spray the guns as well, but if you get it on the stock, be prepared to have it slip from your fingers if not careful. Been doing this for years and have yet to see any rust. All of my guns while in the safe are in silicone impregnated gun socks. They help prevent safe dings and rust.