• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NRAShooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Okay, I hate to say, but I keep coming back to this stuff and admit that it works and is cheap. Doesn't smell, not too toxic and works great for certain applications.

I had my bullseye pistol smith tell me decades ago that WD 40 was great for general bullet cleaning on the 1911 other than the barrel. For that he used Shooter's Choice. He was right, I still use other solvents to clean the barrel, but WD 40 works great. I use it on my AR and for all the blast the crud off applications. I know, Electrical Contact cleaner is good too, but it takes the oil off everything. The WD still dissolves the carbon when you scrub it with a toothbrush. You can buy this at the .99 Store, so I gotta admit,even with all the hi-tech chemicals out there, this is still pretty darn good. Doesn't smell either which keeps the Mrs. happy. That's important.

Anyone else, or am I a dinosaur??

Re: WD 40

Lot's of uses for WD-40, firearms though, isn't one of 'em.

If you ever mash your fingers it will take the pain away right NOW......

We use a lot of it on parts fresh out of the parkerizing tank. Works wonders on sore hands.

I take back what I said about it being useless on firearms.

Works great on soaked Q-tips to remove the still wet bedding compound that might happen to ooze out at the seams.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kenda</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Works wonders on sore hands. </div></div>

This ain't no joke...

Years ago I saw a little Amish boy get his hand slammed in the tail gate of a pickup truck. It hurt me just to see it, and the howlin' and squawlin' he did confirmed it was right much painful. His Momma ran in the house and came back in a flash with a cup of WD-40. She stuck his little mashed up fingers in it and he about quit crying and screaming immediately. I doubt I'd want it for a GSW or other serious trauma...but as a minor boo boo pain reliever it works very well.

Im sure there's a medical exspurt somewhere that'll have an absolute shit fit over this but hell, it's only fish oil......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kenda</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Works wonders on sore hands. </div></div>
Gotta say, that's a new one on me!

Wonder what the mechanism is?

I'm half tempted to mash my finger in sumfin just to try this wd40 trick out!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bryan27</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm half tempted to mash my finger in sumfin just to try this wd40 trick out! </div></div>

"Some men learn by reading, some men learn by doing, and some men just have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." - Will Rogers
grin.gif

WD40 is a great cleaner, and rust preventer. I use it to clean my firearms with a small flux brush, wipe off with rag or compressed air, then apply proper lubricant for the type of weapon.

I love it for a rust preventative on guns that will be stored for long period. I have never had rust on a gun with WD-40, I have with other super high tech oils. Sometimes newer is not always better.

ive read many cases of people using it on knees and other sore body parts. that and a bar of soap under the sheets to relieve leg cramps at night. no one knows why either, but they both seem to work according to people who use them.

Thats amazing, Im goin to try that on my back problem. Hope I dont come back in 6 months with some kind of incurable rash. Is it actually only fish oil?

The pain relief aspect is mainly for joint pain and arthritis type stuff that I know of. The stuff is originally a Water Displacement formula, and the fish oil thing is urban myth. I think the pain relief comes from the solvents effecting the fluid built up in the joints. I read that it was originally developed to protect aluminum rocket or missle skins. Let me see if I can find the article/history I read.

Jim uses it as a solvent/cleaner all the time, on EVERYTHING. I associate WD40 and Kroil with the smell of my husband, not colonge.

I read somewhere that if you have to use a couple of different cleaning solvents in your barrel, WD-40 is great to flush the first one out so you don’t mix the two different solvents together.

Pete

Developed for the Atlas Rocket Program originally... Great Company.. only 300 employees and good management. They even admit that they have heard more uses than intended (including the joint pain)... They never tested for it, but they say it won't hurt you either.

Interesting.. the #40 formula was the 40th mix to be submitted and was mixed in a bathtub in California hotel to meet final specs of the RFP.

if you have a wooden floor (the kind you lay down in squares) and spill anything on it WD40 get it off fast and shines up the floor. when we laid down our floor there was dried glue spots and the wd40 took em off with one spray ans swipe. works!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerry M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WD-40 will gum up triggers and soak into wood stocks.

Good luck

Jerry </div></div>

Really. Have you seen this in person? Just curious as I have heard this before, and had a uber-shooter berate me for using it on my AR bolt. He came up with the "it'll gum up your action" line. My husband laughed at him. Like I said earlier we use a lot of WD40 and I've never seen it gum up anything. As for wood, you should always avoid solvents and wood.

If WD40 is left on something long term the oil film dries to a stiff waxy substance. We don't use on precision equipment for that reason. Not good on triggers that are put in storage. That's what lighter fluid is for...

there are much better penetrants and rust preventers out there. the PBR blaster line for example,is state of the art compared,to wd 40. motor oil is all one needs anyhow, for firearms.

I like WD about as much as anyone but it does leave a gummy residue as it evaporates that also attracts dust and dirt which is the reason I stopped using it to lube lock mechanisms. Other, better, lubes for that.

But I always have WD-40 on hand for a passel of good uses!

Not a bad for hiding scratches on wood door veneers!

Not that I would know anything about that!
laugh.gif

PB Blaster is very good but, I've found nothing that beats Kroil.

I have heard from some shooters over the years that WD-40 can destroy accuracy if used in the barrel. (Havn't tested that out though.).
I stick to Rem oil & hopps#9 for my weapon lubing and cleaning.
Hasn't let me down yet and it's easy on wood and doesn't gum anything up.
......SmokeRolls

DO NOT USE WD40 if you live in a salt-air/water environment. While WD40 works great ordinarily when used as a fogging oil, if it's exposed to a salt environment, it tends to accelerate corrosion. Again, this is reference to its use as a protectant rather than a cleaning agent. This has been the cause of the destruction of more than one outboard engine over the years.

link to 1992 thread about WD40 in guns

I have bought some guns that smelled like WD40, and they were ok, and I cleaned that stuff out of there.

The shocker for me was that the pole with WD40 on the lure catches WAY more salmon. I would not believe that if I had not verified it myself. It must stink less under water.

Michigan DNR used to give tickets to those who were fishing and had a can of WD in their posession...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">some even drink the stuff....
IMG00009.jpg
</div></div>

I know that clown.. hahaha. He looks plowed.

Amazing that people still use this stuff along with remoil on any kinda firearm?