• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

We got a bleeder........

fpgt72

Old Salt
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2019
No not like that:

Like this:

1689259565890.png

Photo of from the next day. Still leaking people juice. Wire wheel on an angle grinder cleaning up a drum brake backing plate from a 1963 VW bug. Wheel grabbed something and in a hot sec bounced off my arm. Happy it missed my watch.

The best part is I have these very nice Kevlar sleeves that would have saved my ass, did I wear them, nope, why it was hot. But wait you have AC in your shop right? Yup, scraping off 60 years of rust is dusty dirty work, I had the door open. Live and learn. I have wounded myself a few times this week. Saturday while leaning under said rust bucket, I stood up too quick and have a nice hole in my head, you know how a bald head bleeds...... Then Tuesday I was doing "a quick weld" and splatter landed on my foot, burned a hole through my shoe and on the top of my foot I have a nice little round BB sized burn, ruined brand new socks....again it was only a second, so why wear the boots.

So the point of all this, if you are screwing around with this stuff, wear the gear, you don't because it is only a second, or it is too hot.....whatever. I will likely have a bit of time healing this one. Also have some form of medical stuff in your "hobby area", you will be adding to it with each new boo-boo, after this I added larger bandages, I already had wound wash so hopefully I got most of the "grime" out of it and the infection will not be too bad, but it was a very dirty wound.

Wear your gear, and when you do hurt yourself have something to keep you from leaking all over the place.

No not like that:

Like this:

View attachment 8181824

Photo of from the next day. Still leaking people juice. Wire wheel on an angle grinder cleaning up a drum brake backing plate from a 1963 VW bug. Wheel grabbed something and in a hot sec bounced off my arm. Happy it missed my watch.

The best part is I have these very nice Kevlar sleeves that would have saved my ass, did I wear them, nope, why it was hot. But wait you have AC in your shop right? Yup, scraping off 60 years of rust is dusty dirty work, I had the door open. Live and learn. I have wounded myself a few times this week. Saturday while leaning under said rust bucket, I stood up too quick and have a nice hole in my head, you know how a bald head bleeds...... Then Tuesday I was doing "a quick weld" and splatter landed on my foot, burned a hole through my shoe and on the top of my foot I have a nice little round BB sized burn, ruined brand new socks....again it was only a second, so why wear the boots.

So the point of all this, if you are screwing around with this stuff, wear the gear, you don't because it is only a second, or it is too hot.....whatever. I will likely have a bit of time healing this one. Also have some form of medical stuff in your "hobby area", you will be adding to it with each new boo-boo, after this I added larger bandages, I already had wound wash so hopefully I got most of the "grime" out of it and the infection will not be too bad, but it was a very dirty wound.

Wear your gear, and when you do hurt yourself have something to keep you from leaking all over the place.

Dude, try that while being on anti-coagulants. I nick myself shaving and I look like one of those fire boats in NY harbor. LOL

Fire_boat_new_york_harbor_fdny_statue_of_liberty.jpg

Dang, I was literally doing the exact same thing two weeks ago. Replacing the swing axle seal on my VW rail. I didnt need to break out the wire wheel though, mine was pretty rust free. That 36mm castle nut was tight as hell, torque spec is like 200#.

Professionally, Im a Pipefitter/plumber (Im not in the field anymore, I have been estimating and PM for the last 17 years though). But I certainly remember using wire wheels on a Metabo after welding a pass, and they can certainly get away from you when they grab. I really dont like using them with cutoff wheels, had one of those break and half of the disc stuck into my thigh about an inch, and I did have the guard on it. I got lucky, only a few stiches and a ruined pair of carhartt double knee pants.

Glad you didnt get bit any worse!

Cut off wheels on 4 1/2 inch grinders are the worst , I've got a few scars from them , if you have a cordless grinder use that they turn slower and are alot more forgiving, since I learned to use cordless for cutof wheels I haven't had one come apart and I've used a shitload of them over the last 7 to 8 years.

Shit. I got a First-Aid kit hanging on the wall of my shop because, I can't even open a F'n Roll-Away tool box without wounding myself! I used to use Duct Tape to fix/patch crap. Now I use it to wrap the bleeders! Back in the day, my skin was like leather. Now? Get'n old has sucked for me. Mac

QuickClot is good to keep around the shop and in your kit. Especially if family member or friend is on blood thinners...

35c24f3b-your-design-here-double-click-on-the-layer-thumbnail-copy-1x_109q0bb000000000000028.png

Reactions: Baron23
I wear tig welding gloves for grinder work. Doesnt help my dad who got his shirt caught in it and ran the thing into his knee. He is late 70's btw...

Good thing it missed your watch. Hate to see that thing get mangled instead of your arm/hand.

What did the grinder and wire wheel look like after that? Will they still work? Asking for a friend.

One of the great things about the M18 fuel grinders that reside in my service truck.

They have enough power to get any job done.

I can still overpower them and they'll stop until the switch is reset when something dumb happens.

QuickClot is good to keep around the shop and in your kit. Especially if family member or friend is on blood thinners...

35c24f3b-your-design-here-double-click-on-the-layer-thumbnail-copy-1x_109q0bb000000000000028.png

You wouldn't believe what I used to pay for this to get it sent to our front line medics circa 2005, along with pulse ox's you can now get for around $20 I paid over $600 each for.

Reactions: myronman3 and Ichi
Yes I had goggles on, learned that lesson the hard way as well.
Good. Yep, I learned via the designed to frag you dremel cut off wheels.
Wire wheels are nasty. Pieces of wire always flying off. Safety glasses at least. I always wear a full face shield.
This. I hate using them, but damn they just work so good for some things.

Reactions: fpgt72
Wire wheel? Lucky! Every time a machine has tried to eat me it was a 20hp manual lathe. Kind of amazed I've lived to learn from my mistakes!

Last weekend I got my middle finger on my left hand caught in the door as I was closing it. Ouch. And it has been hurting for days. No blood. Probably a hairline fracture. But there is satisfaction when I show people which finger hurts.

1689286003751.png

My kids called that an oww-eee, a boo boo or a scratch. Now be a big boy and dab some PVC pipe cleaner on it, pull up your pull ups and get back to work.
No digits missing, no stitches, staples or super glue and you make a thread for a rash?
Electrical tape. I have used it for bandages rather than regular bandages. The adhesive closes that cut. It leaves a residue, as well, but that is not a big deal.

Reactions: swix
My kids called that an oww-eee, a boo boo or a scratch. Now be a big boy and dab some PVC pipe cleaner on it, pull up your pull ups and get back to work.
No digits missing, no stitches, staples or super glue and you make a thread for a rash?
I never thought of that. I've been using solvent (paint thinner) since I was about 8. Cleans it out, kills the germs, and cuts down on scarring. Now the screaming, that's another discussion for another day.
o_O

Reactions: DarnYankeeUSMC
I never thought of that. I've been using solvent (paint thinner) since I was about 8. Cleans it out, kills the germs, and cuts down on scarring. Now the screaming, that's another discussion for another day.
o_O
I had the "wound wash" and hit it with that first, it was basically black at first with the blood slowly moving the dirt and grime away as it ran across my arm. Odd thing is it never really hurt. Pain is all rated against my never ending back pain, this was just messy. I also have a small bottle of alcohol in the shop I use for one thing, cleaning off the surface of one of the tool boxes for a new sticker. I never really grew up, you can ask my wife, I like stickers. I have ordered thousands of $$ from one place, they sent me a shirt, that is nice, but no sticker....phooy. I did also pour that on there as well, now that did sting. The small bandages I had out there JUST covered the wound, and it was still leaking bad enough I had to quit as it started to over flow the patch I put on there, and I was dripping. I went inside.

The wire wheel I was using is one like this, it was working great on the big flat spots, I would move to the more "flat" kind when I got around the edges and around the adjuster for the shoes. For a sec I thought, why not just change the thing to disc brakes.....no, that would just not be right for this project. Should start a thread on Elkie the 1963 VW bug.

1689332051965.png

Wow.

Yes, tools are dangerous.
A thread for a little skin peeled shows me the pansy nature of the left is alive and well among us.

Yes to duct tape, so much, it is issued in the .mil IFAK kits now.
Works awesome.

There are a lot of misconceptions about wound cleaning and care.
1: use soap and water. Reg hand soap works, does not need to be “antibacterial”. (I dont even have that stuff in my house). Lots and lots of water. Flush it out.
If it is greasy, use Dawn. Get that grease outta the cut.
2: Do NOT use hydrogen peroxide to clean wounds. For a while now, this has not been recommended practice as it causes issues with the tissue and delays healing. Just soap n water.
3: for small burns/abrasions, keep clean and dry. Cover if needed to keep clean.
4: lots of people want to use 3x antibiotic ointment on these. You can. I dont unless it was really contaminated with FB before I washed it (full of dirt, grease, debris, etc).

And most important.

Dont post an entire thread on the Hide for little owies.
Make it @LeftyJason good if you gonna post.

I decided to stay out of the shop. Being an elderly gent, now, well...
Even when I do something as simple a tightening as few things on my recumbent, the slightest bump results in large bruises. I know it is just old age, but Fak, I look like a leper on my arms, all the damn time. Yes, it's been looked into.

Reactions: jrassy
Seeing stuff like this is why I never buy a grinder or other handheld power tool that has a switch that can be locked in the ON position. When that cup brush is twisting up into your shirt at least it might stop when you let go of the trigger.

This ANTIFA soldier came out of his mother's basement long enough to engage in mortal combat with the local constabulary. A life threatening wound is inflicted upon this courageous lad with a rubber bullet. Despite the display of unconcern the medics desperately attempt to apply a tourniquet to save what little blood he has left. Unfortunately we don't know if this young man survived or not. This just goes to show that inhuman projectiles like rubber bullets should be banned.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Jgunner and Ichi
Lick it off, don’t let all that juicy blood go to waste.

"Should start a thread on Elkie the 1963 VW bug."

Yes, please. This is my garage floor right now LOL

Attachments

• 20230714_125830_resized.jpg
    20230714_125830_resized.jpg
    373.2 KB · Views: 33
Reactions: 04JRB
What ya building
I have a 69 bug. This is a motor I got locally from a guy that parts out old VWs. The engine was rebuilt but never started up. Thank God, it was a great example of how NOT to rebuild a motor. Not sure what the worst of it was, but I would say probably the insect I retreived from one of the cam oil galleries. It's all heading to a machine shop, the case will be opened up for 90mm P+C, so it will be a 1776 with a mild cam, a set of Kadrons, and a Vintage Speed exhaust.
And I am going to disc brakes on the front :)
Where abouts are you located?

I have a 69 bug. This is a motor I got locally from a guy that parts out old VWs. The engine was rebuilt but never started up. Thank God, it was a great example of how NOT to rebuild a motor. Not sure what the worst of it was, but I would say probably the insect I retreived from one of the cam oil galleries. It's all heading to a machine shop, the case will be opened up for 90mm P+C, so it will be a 1776 with a mild cam, a set of Kadrons, and a Vintage Speed exhaust.
And I am going to disc brakes on the front :)
Where abouts are you located?
I am in the "greater Kansas City" area. A bit south and east, closer to Whiteman then KC.

I have a 1776 in my rail buggy, I don't have a good photo of it, but it is nothing real crazy, nice little cam but very mellow, idles nice and lopey....for a VW anyway.

Mine is a 63
1689355705907.png

I could swear I've seen that picture before...did you post it on The Samba recently?