• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

We got an Enduro .

Alphatreedog

Tier Potato
Minuteman
  • Feb 15, 2017
    So my 16 yr old asks for a cheap dirt bike at Christmas . Says he needs some fly time as he plans on buying a bike midsummer . I tell him I've been looking at Super Motors .
    How bout a compromise ? Honda XR150L . Street legal and can pull some trail . Convo goes back and forth and we agree . Picked it up last night .
    So first time on a cycle in 30+ yrs and in rush hour traffic . 2 A Holes pull out right on top of me and no problem . Everything came back to me . The first turn I pulled gave me a wet spot .
    It's light on torque and power as it's a 150 and it's addicting .
    Boy got his permit today . We got a lot of work to do . He must have stalled it twenty times trying to pull out in first .
    Might have him pull out in 2nd . Able to feed a lot of throttle without pulling front end up .
    Anyway we got a bike .
    Depending on money next year will either be a used Ducati 698 Hyper Motard or a Suzuki DRZ 400 SM .

So my 16 yr old asks for a cheap dirt bike at Christmas . Says he needs some fly time as he plans on buying a bike midsummer . I tell him I've been looking at Super Motors .
    How bout a compromise ? Honda XR150L . Street legal and can pull some trail . Convo goes back and forth and we agree . Picked it up last night .
    So first time on a cycle in 30+ yrs and in rush hour traffic . 2 A Holes pull out right on top of me and no problem . Everything came back to me . The first turn I pulled gave me a wet spot .
    Boy got his permit today . We got a lot of work to do . He must have stalled it twenty times trying to pull out in first .
    Might have him pull out in 2nd . Able to feed a lot of throttle without pulling front end up .
    Anyway we got a bike .
    Depending on money next year will either be a used Ducati 698 Hyper Motard or a Suzuki DRZ 400 SM .
    Nice work. Young men need some “holy fuck that was close” in their lives to count coup.

Don’t trust that Ducati… go with the Suzuki if you want it to run!!!

At 17 I had an XT 500 Yamaha that was awesome. If it didn’t thro me over the handlebars starting it without the compression release.

Sirhr
    Some morons tried to steal my XT500 in the 80 in Germany. The bike was parked in front of the house I rented an apartment in. I found it in an alleyway a few houses down, just following the black skid marks on the sidewalk. The thieves attempted to kick start it and after that failed, they tried to push start the bike. You could do that but you had to jump on the saddle the moment you released the clutch. Otherwise, you would just drag the rear tire over the ground against the compression.

Anyway we got a bike .
    I would go with the Suzuki in Supermoto trim and then find a used set of wheels with knobby tires for weekends in the dirt.

Reactions: godofthunder
    Now I have this. It’s not near as fast. But it’s plenty.

XT 600
    7BAE97C4-6845-4BE1-A9EC-E7E06FA25462.jpeg

had the drz400. great at nothing, good at everything. but i wouldn't go back to a carb'd bike. esp if not ridden frequently. just too many gas/ethanol problems.

My 4 stroke kick start routine helps me avoid the kickback. I slowly kick roll the engine over until I feel the hard compression. I'll return the kick starter back up to the top. Roll the engine past the that hard compression point about 1/2 a kick starter stroke. Return to the top and give it your normal starting kick. I saved many a shin and pants leg this way.

Reactions: jrassy

At 17 I had an XT 500 Yamaha that was awesome. If it didn’t thro me over the handlebars starting it without the compression release.

Sirhr
    I vintage road raced an SR500. 90mm piston, 12:1 compression, etc, etc. I used to tell guys if you can start it, you can have it. No one every succeeded.🤣

Reactions: Barneybdb

Sirhr
    One of my sorta relatives....my dads brothers wifes sisters husband...had a TT500. He would let me ride it pretty much every time the bike was near me. I LOVED that bike. 4 stroke with serious torque. Plus it just sounded mean. He had installed a compression release to assist starting and I figured out why.

Had a Honda XL125 when I was about 12. Wasnt anything special but was a nice taste of both worlds. Rural area and gravel roads, I rode it all over the place and it did good enough in the fields and creeks.

With a bit of time he will get the hang of starting it and taking off in first gear.... Like anything will just take a bit of practice and patience.

My son decided on a diff route and we ended up with a big bore Honda TRX250r damn thing is crazy, pulls hard as hell...

I'm torn.....I want to get myself a bike again and my 12yo.

YZ85LW, adjust the power valve, re gear, heavy flywheel weight. Make it a trail/Enduro bike. Like 50 pounds lighter than the KLX and way better suspension.

Or KLX140 way more forgiving to learn on.

Me

YZ250X 2 stroke Enduro bike. ( I have looked at the KTM/Husky and Beta). The Yamaha is significantly less expensive. Only downside is no headlight or electric start.

Or the WR450F, electric start 4 stroke, adjustable map, traction control....

I grew up on 2 strokes. My last two bikes were a KTM EXC300 two stroke and EXC504 four stroke. The electric start will be nice. Both bikes are not far off in weight. Were going to be riding in the woods mostly with some summer mountain trips.

Reactions: Alphatreedog

YZ85LW, adjust the power valve, re gear, heavy flywheel weight. Make it a trail/Enduro bike. Like 50 pounds lighter than the KLX and way better suspension.

Me

YZ250X 2 stroke Enduro bike. ( I have looked at the KTM/Husky and Beta). The Yamaha is significantly less expensive. Only downside is no headlight or electric start.

I grew up on 2 strokes. My last two bikes were a KTM EXC300 two stroke and EXC504 four stroke. The electric start will be nice. Both bikes are not far off in weight. Were going to be riding in the woods mostly with some summer mountain trips.
    But the 300 XCW is sooooo good for the woods. :D

Now we're talk'n! Back in my day dirt bikes.
    Back in the 80's, I rode Husqvarna's ('79 CR390-Chuck Sun's old practice bike and a '82 XC430), loved European mx iron. First real mx'ers I ever owned. Wish I could post my pics, don't have them scanned because they are prints, not digital.
    Then after my active duty days, I raced Honda's (2&4 stroke big bores) and a ATK 605.
    Thanks for the memories, and you did a fantastic job of restoring/maintaining both those machines!
    Mac(y)

Reactions: Threadcutter308
    Now we're talk'n! Back in my day dirt bikes.
    Back in the 80's, I rode Husqvarna's ('79 CR390-Chuck Sun's old practice bike and a '82 XC430), loved European mx iron. First real mx'ers I ever owned. Wish I could post my pics, don't have them scanned because they are prints, not digital.
    Then after my active duty days, I raced Honda's (2&4 stroke big bores) and a ATK 605.
    Thanks for the memories, and you did a fantastic job of restoring/maintaining both those machines!
    Mac(y)
    Thank you, but I just grabbed those pics off the internet. Although, I had a 450 that looked an awful lot like the yellow one. Wish I had owned a 490. Best bike they ever made.

Reactions: 10ring'r
    You guys have all the wrong strokes.

I made my kid learn on a kx100. He figured out what the power valve was the first time he looped it out. :ROFLMAO:

I'm currently trying to pick out 2 stroke #6 to stuff in the garage. 4 stroke maintenance sucks.
    Modern high hp 4 stroke bike maintenance is more intensive than 2-strokes. The titanium intake valves they run are always beating up the valve faces continually closing up valve clearances. Count on valve clearance adjustments every 5-10 hours of ride time. The piston skirts on them are scary short as well in the interest of a short engine height for a low center of gravity.

The basic 2 valve trail bike 4 strokes are know for running forever with minimal maintenance, though.

I was a die hard 4-stroke woods bike fan for years. All it took was some ride time on a KTM 300 that had the jetting and power valve tuning dialed in perfect. The power delivery was very controllable with no surprises. It still had the 2 stroke power rush up top if you asked for it, but 90% of woods riding gets handled with the awesome and predictable mid range. On my KTM 300 two stroke for woods riding, I do a top end inspection/ring replacement every 100 hours. Other than trans fluid and air filter changes, just ride it.

Reactions: 10ring'r
    Are you trying to kill yourself with those Maico's? Had a 440, glad I couldn't get it to run well and I'm still alive.
    That was a long time ago now :eek:;)

All of them had a lotta’ grunt for being two strokes. But, the 450 in particular, was my favorite in terms of low end torque. It just didn’t quit, and it was smooth, not peaky.

Ahhhh, to be young again. I know that if I got on one now, I’d just hurt myself. Very grateful for the time and experiences that I had with them.

Thank you, but I just grabbed those pics off the internet. Although, I had a 450 that looked an awful lot like the yellow one. Wish I had owned a 490. Best bike they ever made.
    The 490 was a great Maico. Powerband could get you when you weren't paying attention.
    Suspension, in my opinion, was the best of the Maico's I had ever straddled. Mac

Modern high hp 4 stroke bike maintenance is more intensive than 2-strokes. The titanium intake valves they run are always beating up the valve faces continually closing up valve clearances. Count on valve clearance adjustments every 5-10 hours of ride time. The piston skirts on them are scary short as well in the interest of a short engine height for a low center of gravity.

The basic 2 valve trail bike 4 strokes are know for running forever with minimal maintenance, though.

I was a die hard 4-stroke woods bike fan for years. All it took was some ride time on a KTM 300 that had the jetting and power valve tuning dialed in perfect. The power delivery was very controllable with no surprises. It still had the 2 stroke power rush up top if you asked for it, but 90% of woods riding gets handled with the awesome and predictable mid range. On my KTM 300 two stroke for woods riding, I do a top end inspection/ring replacement every 100 hours. Other than trans fluid and air filter changes, just ride it.
    Yes my KTM 504 fucking ate exhaust valves. From my research the new WR450F can go many more hours on valves. It got to the point where valves and seats on the 504 were getting done at about 100 hours. Which that took 10-12 hours busting your ass, when I could do a top end in the two stroke at about the same hour interval in a few hours fucking around. The low end and the mid on the YZ250X is supposed to be great, and even better with a smart carb on it. I wish my boy was big enough to stick him on the YZ125X I've heard it's calmer and way more forgiving than the 85. It's built and tuned to be a woods bike though ...

1710100201725.jpeg

Haven't fired up the old girl in years, but with a new battery she'll be ready.

Reactions: missed
    Been looking at getting back into riding. Was going to go with something like an Africa Twin or a T7 but I am really thinking hard on going with a CRF300. Light. Cheap. I can move it on the hitch of my FJ without a trailer. Probably a touch small for my 230# frame but it’ll still move me and the Mrs out of harms way if the roads are congested.

Yes my KTM 504 fucking ate exhaust valves. From my research the new WR450F can go many more hours on valves. It got to the point where valves and seats on the 504 were getting done at about 100 hours. Which that took 10-12 hours busting your ass, when I could do a top end in the two stroke at about the same hour interval in a few hours fucking around. The low end and the mid on the YZ250X is supposed to be great, and even better with a smart carb on it. I wish my boy was big enough to stick him on the YZ125X I've heard it's calmer and way more forgiving than the 85. It's built and tuned to be a woods bike though ...
    Definitely go SmartCarb or Lectron Pro Series. I have the Lectron Pro Series on my KTM 300 with no regrets. The Pro Series has a 1/4 throttle enrichment screw that lets you add a touch of fuel to make up for the slightly lean needle in this throttle range. I have my needle height set to where there is almost no noticeable rich burble stutter just above idle at light throttle cruising speed. The low to midrange is pretty linear.

The beauty of the 300 two stroke is that it is hard to flame out in the slow technical stuff like a hyper tuned 4 stroke will. You can lug it down to where you can count the exhaust pulses out of the exhaust and it keeps running.

Definitely go SmartCarb or Lectron Pro Series. I have the Lectron Pro Series on my KTM 300 with no regrets. The Pro Series has a 1/4 throttle enrichment screw that lets you add a touch of fuel to make up for the slightly lean needle in this throttle range. I have my needle height set to where there is almost no noticeable rich burble stutter just above idle at light throttle cruising speed. The low to midrange is pretty linear.

The beauty of the 300 two stroke is that it is hard to flame out in the slow technical stuff like a hyper tuned 4 stroke will. You can lug it down to where you can count the exhaust pulses out of the exhaust and it keeps running.
    If I get both of us 2 strokes I will be getting the smart carb or Lectron pro for them. I did find a tuner that can trail tune the YZ85. For me following a kid around the 2 stroke will never overheat where I have seen people on 4 strokes talk about the overheating challenges on slow trail rides. The YZ250x is $3k less expensive than the WR450F also. Hopefully this summer I'll get something going.

Reactions: gigamortis
    PXL_20240309_225207280.jpg

I just picked this up this weekend. 30 minutes from the dealer, the front tube blew out. Should have checked pressure before we left but we literally rolled it out of their shop....

2021 with only 800 miles on it. Now have new tubes, seals and rim locks on the way.

Me

I looked at the Yamaha yz250x a few times. Came to the conclusion that by the time I made it as good as a KTM/Husky I was into it for about the same price. And then I still had the smaller engine that's not as smooth.

I looked at the klx and CRF 150s for my kids. I couldn't get over the horsepower deficit. They make about 12hp, while the kx100 they're learning on is 25hp.
    Maybe if I was in the flats, but we ride 6000' and up so we're already down on power. Add in steep trails and the little 4ts have to crawl in first instead of being able to keep ripping along at a good pace.

That little 150 honda has been made for years and years overseas its bulletproof. Also it goes something crazy like 150-200 miles on the peanut sized tank.
    I wonder if it's suspension is as terrible as the CRF300Ls.

Part of the reason I got the KLX300 was not having to immediately dump money into the suspension.

I looked at the Yamaha yz250x a few times. Came to the conclusion that by the time I made it as good as a KTM/Husky I was into it for about the same price. And then I still had the smaller engine that's not as smooth.

I looked at the klx and CRF 150s for my kids. I couldn't get over the horsepower deficit. They make about 12hp, while the kx100 they're learning on is 25hp.
    Maybe if I was in the flats, but we ride 6000' and up so we're already down on power. Add in steep trails and the little 4ts have to crawl in first instead of being able to keep ripping along at a good pace.
    The KTM 300 two stroke is the bomb if you're trail riding. For the kids, it's hard to go wrong with the CRF150. Easy to maintain, no gas to mix. They just run and run.

The KTM 300 two stroke is the bomb if you're trail riding. For the kids, it's hard to go wrong with the CRF150. Easy to maintain, no gas to mix. They just run and run.

I mix gas 10-20 gallons at a time for the weekends. Just run the same premix in the kx and the husky and KTM. Mixing gas has never bothered me. It bothers me a lot more in the efi sleds that the oil pump dies and the sled dies within seconds. I refuse to deal with injection on the KTM since they have had failures.

I've taught my 12 year old how to do a top end and change tires. Maintenance is a $100 piston and rings every other year. Way better than dealing with valves.

When I first started looking at bikes again I wanted the Husky 300. The Yamaha would be really close if it had electric start and the lighting capabilities. The Yamaha I found for $9k (there is a new one in Louisiana for $8k right now) when the Husky/KTM is $11k for the regular model and $13k for the pro. I'll have a Yamaha dealer close to home where the Husky dealer will be 2-3 hours away.

There is no good way to do electric start on the YZ, the Pantera kit is expensive and problematic. The lighting is more of a concern than the electric start. The electric start would be really nice. Yamaha is missing the boat on that and the lighting.

I thought I remember the Husky pro model is fuel injected, but no oil pump and the regular model has the oil pump.

I'm not afraid of having to mix gas either, the maintenance is so much easier also

At least I still have months to over analyze this.

When I first started looking at bikes again I wanted the Husky 300. The Yamaha would be really close if it had electric start and the lighting capabilities. The Yamaha I found for $9k (there is a new one in Louisiana for $8k right now) when the Husky/KTM is $11k for the regular model and $13k for the pro. I'll have a Yamaha dealer close to home where the Husky dealer will be 2-3 hours away.

There is no good way to do electric start on the YZ, the Pantera kit is expensive and problematic. The lighting is more of a concern than the electric start. The electric start would be really nice. Yamaha is missing the boat on that and the lighting.

I thought I remember the Husky pro model is fuel injected, but no oil pump and the regular model has the oil pump.

I'm not afraid of having to mix gas either, the maintenance is so much easier also

At least I still have months to over analyze this.

In the Husky the TE 300 has all the lights and oil injection.
    TX300 has no lights and is premix, but still fuel injection and electric start.

The works or pro edition has different wheels, bars, stickers, suspension settings, etc. I don't think they're worth it since I'd rather pick out my own parts for the extra $2k.

They're both $11,400 MSRP. I've already seen sales for $10,500, and I'd bet by July they're under 10.

I'm kinda looking for a new tx300. I'll add lights and a horn so I can have a license plate. (I already have 2 plated 2t motocross bikes).

Reactions: Bender and missed
    In the Husky the TE 300 has all the lights and oil injection.
    TX300 has no lights and is premix, but still fuel injection and electric start.

The works or pro edition has different wheels, bars, stickers, suspension settings, etc. I don't think they're worth it since I'd rather pick out my own parts for the extra $2k.

They're both $11,400 MSRP. I've already seen sales for $10,500, and I'd bet by July they're under 10.

I'm kinda looking for a new tx300. I'll add lights and a horn so I can have a license plate. (I already have 2 plated 2t motocross bikes).
    I looked after i posted the TE300 pro has oil injection still. Which lists for $13k you get the upgraded brakes, clutch hydraulics, the cool ass plastic kit and guards all over.

I may get the kid the Husky 85 big wheel. I found some videos and threads that say that bike has way more mid range usable power and they are just re gearing them and some adjusting power valve to make them solid trail, baby enduro bikes. There was one I found that they were doing bank to back trails on it and the big wheel Yamaha and the Husky was much smoother.

I'll be back to looking for a Husky for both of us now. Ran across a 2021 TE300 on cycle trader with not many hours and the pictures look like it's barely been ridden for $8k

My understanding on the late model cross country models is engine and suspension are tuned for higher speed more aggressive riding. Does the cross country model not have oil injection? I'm thinking real hard about getting a license plate for mine. The state we will register in is easy on it.

Good to see he's wearing a bucket and gloves. A heavy jacket, leather, and good boots would also help if he ever goes down. Not trying to be out of bounds, but many of us know that road rash is terrible. Great looking scooter! Many years ago - 1986? 87? I had a Honda XL 250S. I always liked enduros. All the best to him!

I looked after i posted the TE300 pro has oil injection still. Which lists for $13k you get the upgraded brakes, clutch hydraulics, the cool ass plastic kit and guards all over.

I may get the kid the Husky 85 big wheel. I found some videos and threads that say that bike has way more mid range usable power and they are just re gearing them and some adjusting power valve to make them solid trail, baby enduro bikes. There was one I found that they were doing bank to back trails on it and the big wheel Yamaha and the Husky was much smoother.

I'll be back to looking for a Husky for both of us now. Ran across a 2021 TE300 on cycle trader with not many hours and the pictures look like it's barely been ridden for $8k

My understanding on the late model cross country models is engine and suspension are tuned for higher speed more aggressive riding. Does the cross country model not have oil injection? I'm thinking real hard about getting a license plate for mine. The state we will register in is easy on it.

TE has cushy trail suspension, lights, and oil injection.

TX is the cross country racer, firmer suspension, no oil injection, and no lights.

Both have map switches so there's standard and soft. Soft is great for mud and wet rocks. I think the last time I saw dyno sheets the TE is 58hp and the TX was 62hp.

So I'd buy on suspension over everything. That will be the most expensive thing to change.

I personally am looking for a TX because I'm dumb enough to race a few weekends a year. If all I did was putt around with my kids I'd go with the TE as the more mild mannered choice.

Reactions: Bender