• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Weapon bearing backpack

Chasingpro

Captain
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2020
Texas
Hey guys, what is everyone running to carry their ar builds? I have been looking at mystery ranch and Eberlestock because I get military discounts on those.

Mystery Ranch. Eberlestock doesn't even begin to compare. The build quality is seriously lacking, it's not made in the USA, and the pouch doesn't hold a rifle as firmly. Mine always rocked back and forth even with the compression straps cinched tight which really fatigued my back. The main compartment also moved around a lot. My Mystery Ranch Overload straps the rifle securely to the frame and then the main compartment fastens tightly around that. Just a solid pack that you can carry around all day without aching. It also helps a lot how they're sized to you too, lots of sizing options with the Mystery Ranch stuff.

How do you want to carry-Exposed or at the ready?
Is this for a match/1 day carry or is it for more weight or time in the field?

Kifaru and Badlands make pouches that allow you to nest the butt of the stock. Kifaru's Gun Bearer keeps the rifle relatively accessible and loads off of the belt strap and chest strap. Not uncomfortable at all. It can be adapted to fit other packs.
Badlands also makes packs that capture the rifle on the center back, exterior of the pack-Consider that any solution like this will shift your center of gravity rearward. Mystery Ranch Overload keeps the rifle between your frame and the bag. Difficult to access but really comfortable carry.
Eberlestocks scabbards do a similar job but their packs are heavy and, as mentioned, build quality is meh. I've owned a Gunslinger 2 and an X3 LoDrag- preferred the LoDrag but ditched it for a Kifaru.

Mystery Ranch. Eberlestock doesn't even begin to compare. The build quality is seriously lacking, it's not made in the USA, and the pouch doesn't hold a rifle as firmly. Mine always rocked back and forth even with the compression straps cinched tight which really fatigued my back. The main compartment also moved around a lot. My Mystery Ranch Overload straps the rifle securely to the frame and then the main compartment fastens tightly around that. Just a solid pack that you can carry around all day without aching. It also helps a lot how they're sized to you too, lots of sizing options with the Mystery Ranch stuff.
Thanks man. I have a mystery ranch at work for duty purposes I just didn’t know of a way to mount a weapon to that specific model. Any idea if the pop up 28 can mount a weapon?

Yep I second the overload that pack is badass I use mine to carry my gun/gear and ride the quad to set targets and access terrain I would never be able to in my truck. No regrets buying that pack at all. Get a couple load cells for it they really help organize what ur carrying

The Stryker by kifaru is an amazing pack or any kifaru carries weigh really well. I like them way more than eberlestock. You do pay more but you get more for each dollar you spend.

Reactions: BlastersAreCool
Following, looking for a set up myself.

Basically my personal experiences with eberlestock, mystery ranch and kifaru seem to align with the others experiences. My Estock G3 phantom is a heavy pack. It carries a heavy rifle alright at best. Not ideal for missions I've found but solid for one day/ prs type matches. Organization is excellent. Lots of pockets/ dividers. I've only owned one MR pack and that's the popup 18. Very small daybag that works pretty well with the gun bearer from kifaru. I use that setup for day hints where I leave all day but come back each evening. Great for that. Lastly my favorite Kifaru. I have just one pack sofar from them and it's the reckoning. Ablsoluely LOVE that pack. Its frame is the most comfortable I've used! It can haul a ton of guns at once (if need be) and do so very stable/ comfortable. For hauling blasters I give the nod to kifaru hands down. The gun bearer is awesome too. I have years of actually using one and can say it is robust, fast enough, comfortable enough. Worth the purchase. Good luck

Reactions: Kline and skierhs
Thanks man. I have a mystery ranch at work for duty purposes I just didn’t know of a way to mount a weapon to that specific model. Any idea if the pop up 28 can mount a weapon?

I think the pop up 28 has a lid that folds over top of it. A lot of people at multi day ruck matches like Bushnell and Mammoth carry their rifles crucifix-style. Lay the rifle on top of the pack when the lid is open, close the lid, cinch it tight.

I have both the eberlestock gunslinger and the MR overload. Gunslinger is handy for the range or a match where i, not walking far with the gear. If you are actually going any distance and or carrying any weight then the MR is a world apart from the eberlestock.

Kuiu and kifaru both have rifle bearing attachments that can be made to work with the mystery ranch packs.

Someone shared this with me when I was looking for the same thing:

I just did the same thing with my new Pintler. Seems to work well, and is stable. No idea about durability yet. I can take some pictures tonight if you want?

This is a mystery ranch Pintler with the kuiu rifle bearing bottom attachment, pretty much setup like on the article above. It's not a elegant or pretty set up but seems to work with the little distance I've put on it so far.

Attachments

• IMG_20200430_201032127.jpg
    IMG_20200430_201032127.jpg
    602.8 KB · Views: 550
Last edited:
If you want something that has easy, quick, access to your rifle, nothing will compare to Eberlestock, I've been using their packs for over 10 years, and have absolutely not one bad thing to say about them. My personal go to is the G4, I also use the X3 LoDrag, the LoDrag II, G2 Gunslinger and the H31 for my cutlery ... If you're worried about the weight of a dry pack, you need to consider what's going in it first. The integrated scabbard centers the weight of the system and is ten times more efficient when you need to be mobile with a rifle. Message Glen, he's an awesome guy, great to deal with and will treat you right.

If you want something that has easy, quick, access to your rifle, nothing will compare to Eberlestock, .....
Odd, but that's not been my experience. I appreciate the load placement that the eberlestock packs allow but they absolutely block ready access to the rifle.
The Kifaru Gun Bearer is the best thing I've found for comfortable, quick access carry. I even ran one on an Eberlestock LoDrag.
Have a look at the videos here:

Reactions: BlastersAreCool