• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Weapon carrying packs: Whats your favorite?

RobertB

Manners Stocks Support Team
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 20, 2009
    Oak Grove, Louisiana
    I've been researching this to death for the past few weeks. I have been working with an assault pack or a 3 day pack for the last few years. I want to get a pack that can carry a weapon and all the gear I deem necessary to lug around. I'm thinking that I might have to go the same route I have been with a small and large pack. I'm not needing a giant pack. Just a 3 day size and maybe a smaller one. I want quality for sure. I have been looking at Mystery Ranch, Eberlestock, Kifaru, and a few others but I'm torn. Some people say that they like the weapons carry function of eberlestock the best of the bunch but others say the Kifaru is made much better. I like light, fast, and well organized. I want hydration as well but I know that pretty much everything worth its salt will have it. Am I missing something. If a pack is super modular I could perhaps just have one and that's where the Kifaru comes to mind.

This pack will be for shooting outings, hunting, and camping/survival exercises. It doesn't have to be tacticool style at all. I just want a well made and well thought out pack.

I don't do all the matches and stuff that a lot of people use their bags for by just having shooting supplies in it to carry from one stage to the other. So it will really be used and I want it to hold up and be a realistic pack. I can see spending $1K on getting set up.

If I have to split em up I want one to carry weapon, calls, LRF, Water, Food, and maybe a few little nick nacks and then one to carry everything mentioned above plus extra clothing, tent, woobie or sleeping bag, cook gear, and so on.

What do the people that really use these things like? I am interested in whats carried as well and might start another thread on that. Even though mine is setupthe way I like it if I can learn ONE thing I feel like it's worth it. Im trying to save size/weight the very best I can without sacrificing quality.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
    most of my experience is hunting, most of the time i've carried my rifle, but i recently picked up one of these for a hunt H2 Gunrunner. It was pretty handy (a little small for what you have in mind) and i'll be using it again, it was easy to get my rifle out, carrying everything was made much easier, and on steep slopes, it made things a lot easier. i'm interested in seeing what other people have to say

actually the gun runner is what I was looking into for my smaller pack. I was going eberlestock all the way till I hear some people say they just aren't made very well and you can do better. I have worked with 2 eberlestock packs: the gunrunner and the X1A1 and liked both a lot. Now that I'm in the market I have to go to the internet to find what other people like since I'm back in Gods country.

Does yours seem to be well made. I would think they all would be at their price but that doesn't mean that. Thanks for the reply

I only have used the Gunslinger II. I think the build quality is great and on MY back I can roll all day long with an 11lb gas gun.

I've used a few Eberlestock packs and they were all very good packs. For now I've settled on the Gunslinger II as my go to pack for shooting, hiking, and such. The top lid is great at organizing ammunition, dope cards, LRF, wind meter, and essential items while the interior pockets makes it easy to keep other stuff handy too without a lot of clutter inside. The MOLLE on the outside of the pack also lets you tailor it to the task at hand so you can add pouches for me capacity or cinch it down tight for when you aren't carrying a lot. I've hauled around as much as 40+ pounds all day in the pack during some matches that have a lot of walking and I didn't get too fatigued by it, was I tired sure but I wasn't worn out by it the next day. The new Gunslinger II's have features that seem to have corrected common complaints with the older version like rifles that flop around in the scabbard or the lack of a rigid frame but I'm not going to sell mine anytime soon.

I've owned some of the Kifaru stuff before too and the build quality was phenominal, if I get another pack it will probably be a Kifaru Marauder, maybe a MOLLE Express. Likewise I've heard great praise about the Mystery Ranch stuff and their suspension system that is from what I hear super adjustable and very comfortable especially when hauling a heavy pack. I think the only downside to the Kifaur and Mystery Ranch packs is that the means in which a rifle is secured to the pack is an extra, it's not integrated like on the Eberlestock packs. IMO though this downside is outdone by their build quality and versatility so it's kind of a toss up. I say go for the Kifaru pack with their Gun Bearer system.

I've been researching this to death for the past few weeks. I have been working with an assault pack or a 3 day pack for the last few years. I want to get a pack that can carry a weapon and all the gear I deem necessary to lug around. I'm thinking that I might have to go the same route I have been with a small and large pack. I'm not needing a giant pack. Just a 3 day size and maybe a smaller one. I want quality for sure. I have been looking at Mystery Ranch, Eberlestock, Kifaru, and a few others but I'm torn. Some people say that they like the weapons carry function of eberlestock the best of the bunch but others say the Kifaru is made much better. I like light, fast, and well organized. I want hydration as well but I know that pretty much everything worth its salt will have it. Am I missing something. If a pack is super modular I could perhaps just have one and that's where the Kifaru comes to mind.

This pack will be for shooting outings, hunting, and camping/survival exercises. It doesn't have to be tacticool style at all. I just want a well made and well thought out pack.

I don't do all the matches and stuff that a lot of people use their bags for by just having shooting supplies in it to carry from one stage to the other. So it will really be used and I want it to hold up and be a realistic pack. I can see spending $1K on getting set up.

If I have to split em up I want one to carry weapon, calls, LRF, Water, Food, and maybe a few little nick nacks and then one to carry everything mentioned above plus extra clothing, tent, woobie or sleeping bag, cook gear, and so on.

What do the people that really use these things like? I am interested in whats carried as well and might start another thread on that. Even though mine is setupthe way I like it if I can learn ONE thing I feel like it's worth it. Im trying to save size/weight the very best I can without sacrificing quality.

Thanks guys.

If I am reading your question correctly, you want a pack to be able to perform some fairly different tasks. For tactical purposes, I would prefer to carry my rifle. For the non-tactical stuff - then slinging/holstering/packing the rifle up is fine - but those two categories would suggest having to make a choice. There is only so much a modular system can. In general, I think folks with little time in the field, tend to try to bring everything but the kitchen sink. I used to laugh watching my platoon sergeants and 1SG tear thru the newly arrived privates packs and find all sorts of silly stuff - "Not on the f***ing packing list." "Sometimes less is mo better" as our Samoan Sergeant Major would say. You may be very experienced at field craft have already considered this - if not maybe scale back. That could change your selection criteria and narrow your list.

I know there was a conversation in another thread on this topic that got me to thinking and based on what the OPs stated desired use is in this thread I've come to the conclusion that all the packs that have a scabbard have their Pros/Cons, be it the way it rides or the bag layout itself, etc.

Given that the OP stated that he only needs something the size of a 3 day pack and there are a million 3 day packs out there, the easiest solution to this issue is to use what ever 3 day pack you want and use a Biathlon sling to sling the weapon over/outside of the 3 day pack. I'd imagine you might have to improvise a chest/sternum strap to keep everything orderly and comfortable while moving but it allows you to go hands free and quickly access your gun. If you don't like the biathlon sling for shooting, then its no huge weight/space issue to carry the sling you want to shoot with in an outside pocket and switch it out via QD attachment points when its time to shoot. Granted it's a small extra step but if you don't have issue using the biathlon sling to shoot you are GTG. The other benefit is you only have to spring for the cost of a Biathlon sling and you can continue carrying whatever bag floats your boat.

I use the G2 for hunting and it is a great pack capable of carrying the gear I need for all day humps in the mountains. Besides my rifle, the pack handles my tripod, spotting scope, water bladder and other essential which I take into the field. As mentioned above, the molle straps are very handy and generally strap a side arm onto the hip belt. The only negative is that the pack is a little heavy but that comes with the territory with a solid pack.

I've been using an Eberlestock J107 for 3-4 years and used the previous generation (J106?) for several years prior to that. I backpack hunt and scabbard the rifle for the pack in and once at base camp I pull the rifle out of the scabbard, optics and day gear out of the top of the main bag then pull the duffle out with the base gear then throw the day gear back in and fold the pack up into day pack mode. My tripod and spotter stay in the long pockets. All of that takes a total of 5 min max. These packs don't carry quite as well fully loaded as some packs I've used but the trade off of carrying one pack that goes from 5K cu in down to daypack size in minutes makes it worth the trade for me. Day mode they carry very well. You have to get used to the buttstock sticking up in the air when ducking through trees. Both packs held up very well and I only upgraded to the new pack for the improved harness and back panel breathability.

Something that may be exactely what the OP is looking for is the TAD fastpack EDC. It's a 3day size pack that has a beaver tail that drops down to carry a rifle it it. It has all the other 3 day pack features for water, etc. When you don't need to carry a gun the beaver tail folds up out of the way or you can take it off.

Triple Aught Design Fast Pack EDC Backpack Review | Loaded PocketzLoaded Pocketz

FAST Pack EDC

2rcu49f.jpg

14m7vhy.jpg

kby71x.jpg

Last edited:
    personally: i like my gs2

on a more global scale: ask/call ceylon. he can give you the best overview.

I've been using the GSII for a bit and I do like it for my uses. I use it for three different things, High Power(no cart) hunting and precision rifle range work. I leave core items in it, like gloves, hat, Otis, rain gear, first aid kit and of course mag pouches. Like right now (match today), it's ready with my shooting jacket on the outside, cinched down via the external straps, got the extenders. I also have the spike camp duffel in which during hunting season, I will put the bulky cold weather gear in like the big overalls, etc. I talked to Ceylon in length about what I wanted/needed and I'm very happy with his advice and my purchase. Remember, you don't need to always stuff it full to capacity with stuff you don't need, the cinch straps can make it small as you need if carrying a light load.

Hope that helps.

Another option is to find the pack/s that are going to best suit your needs and just add the M.A.R.S. from High Speed Gear (HSGI). It's just a modular scabbard you can attach to whatever pack you're using for that particular outing, or can of course ditch it when you don't need it.

I've been using the Eberlestock GS05 Gunslinger and really like it. I've used it to haul all my shooting essentials as well as hunting. It would make a decent 3 day pack if you go light, just take needed gear/food/water, but it works better as a day pack. I've been looking at the J34 for its versatility. It would also work great for backpack hunting.

For a 3-day pack you will actually use for hiking long distances, I would get the most durable, comfortable pack that had the best suspension system I could find. So for me that would be a Kifaru pack. I have an Express G2 and I think their ergonomics are excellent. When I need something bigger than my Express it will be another Kifaru. I would then use the Kifaru Gunbearer setup to attach the rifle to the side or back of the pack. I have the gunbearer and have used it attached to the waist belt for when I need to keep the rifle at the ready and it works very well for longer hikes since the rifle weight is on your hips and not your shoulders.
    Gun Bearers ? Kifaru Intl. Online Store

If you were wanting to keep the rifle covered while on the pack, I would first slip it into this Triad sleeve, and then strap to the side or rear of the pack using the gunbearer and some straps:
    Triad Tactical, Inc.*::*Triad Tactical*::*Triad Long-Gun Condom

Last edited:
    Thanks guys. I'm even looking into certain drag bags with enough MOLLE to add some 2 or 3 liter external pouches to it. I would rather go pack though as it is way more versatile. I'm real torn still between a scabbard style (Eberelstock) or a external harness like the Kifaru gun bearer. I guess the scabbard is the main thing that keeps eberlestock in my. list. The Kifaru and Mystery Ranch seems to be the very best I can get. I already have a good ALICE pack as well as a few "decent" 3 dayers and "assault" packs. Right now I guess I'm leaning towards the Eberlestock Gun runner and a Mysteryranch Dragon Slayer. But a few Kifarus are on up there too. The modularity of the Kifaru seems nice but I'm wondering how well pouches stay put dragging through branches and being thrown around. So a thing or two is always holding me back. Maybe I will "see the light" LOL

Again, thanks!

I have an Eberlestock X3 and Phantom and both are excellent for their roles. The X3 is nice for lighter weight and less load but the Phantom for more room and gear carrying. Can't go wrong with Eberlestock.

OK, I see that the X3 is also called the lo drag. That is one of the main ones im looking at as well. One of my only concerns which might sound crazy to many is that the top looks angled. I'm wanting a pack that I can shoot off of to get higher profile incase I can't go prone. I might be able to do so with this one as well. Sometimes living out in the boonies can be bad when you want to try different things out that only cities would have there.

If I go with eberlestock then this is one of the packs I would want for my lighter one. And Actually the 2 you have are the two I almost ordered. BUt I'm still researching to see if there are better options.

Thanks guys.

Robert,
    Give me a shout or shoot me a PM. I'd be happy to discuss the Eberlestock lineup with you, and help in narrowing down options based on your applications. They have several models that could work...

Ceylon
    deltaoutdoorsman.com

I bought a X3 from ceylonc a year or two ago, it carries all the shooting gear well whether to the range or out on mule deer/varmint patrol with room to spare... which can be bad as I tend to over pack :D

i 've a gunslinger 2,i buy from ceylonc that i use for hunting with a trg 42 and rem 700/mcmillan a5,it's a perfect 2-3 days pack.
    when i need to be light weight i use a tab gear biathlon sling and a blackhawk battle belt.

I can vouch for the Kifaru packs and pouches staying toegether pretty much no matter what. I used the KU3700 in the SAC the last two years, and have a Zulu that I have taken through the death race (60+ hours), numerous hard rucks and GRT's, etc. The suspension on the two kifaru's I have is very similar, so I use the zulu when I have super heavy loads or am worried about durability (i.e. dragging down streets, etc).

I had an X3, and the overall load capacity is pretty low, as it doesn't have a frame, but weighs as much as my zulu. It's a nice pack for what it is, but the lack of a frame, and their goofy little bladder pockets killed it for me. I removed the stitching that runs down the center of the bladder pocket so it could hold a 100oz bladder, and it worked well then, but I sold it, as the other packs were just way better for the stuff I do.

I really like the elberlestock scabbards, but the overall packs are heavy and not up to the same quality as MR and Kifaru (purely my experience). I know some of the MR's have an interesting 'slot' or passage between the frame and the bag for lashing a rifle while keeping it in the centerline and transfering the load to the frame, which looks very interesting, but I've never used one.

I use the internal connection points in my Kifaru's (lock n dock') to hang my rifle from, whole rifle in the pack pointing up; It keeps the weight on the frame, minimizes sloshing, and overall works well, although if the pack is really full, you are not removing or reinstalling it super fast.

Thanks guys. Ceylon, I will get in touch with you. The more I think about it the more I think I am set on one of the smaller eberlestock and then a 3 dayer from Kifaru. Life is full of choices, embrace it. LOL

I've also been looking at buying just the A4SS from Eberlestock and then attaching that to my Kifaru pack using the PALS webbing.

Eberlestock: A4SS Tactical Weapon Carrier

This would offer a bit more protection for the rifle while giving you a few options of where to stow it on the pack. I have also attached several of the Kifaru pockets to the outside of the pack and they definitely stay in place when climbing through heavy thicket.

I have an x1 that I use for hill country hunting. Most of the time my muzzle loader is in my hand or on my shoulder. I did pack out a nice whitetail last year and it was sure nice to have my piece stowed in the scabbard during the haul out. Less is more as they say, but a pack with hydration, scabbard and plenty of tie down points works for me.

Thanks guys. I'm even looking into certain drag bags with enough MOLLE to add some 2 or 3 liter external pouches to it. I would rather go pack though as it is way more versatile. I'm real torn still between a scabbard style (Eberelstock) or a external harness like the Kifaru gun bearer. I guess the scabbard is the main thing that keeps eberlestock in my. list. The Kifaru and Mystery Ranch seems to be the very best I can get. I already have a good ALICE pack as well as a few "decent" 3 dayers and "assault" packs. Right now I guess I'm leaning towards the Eberlestock Gun runner and a Mysteryranch Dragon Slayer. But a few Kifarus are on up there too. The modularity of the Kifaru seems nice but I'm wondering how well pouches stay put dragging through branches and being thrown around. So a thing or two is always holding me back. Maybe I will "see the light" LOL

Again, thanks!

As another poster mentioned above, you want something comfortable if you are actually going to be hiking long distances with it. A drag bag won't be that.

my vote goes to the x3 lo drag. just bought one not long ago from delta and love it. i can carry my savage 110ba in it and 100-150 rounds of ammo and some other smalls without a problem. it will suit your needs well. very durable and comfortable. Ceylon is your guy. great experience buying from them.

I definitely agree with the comment about Ceylon. I've always worked on finding the "most economical" choice when it comes to buying anything (self-proclaimed craigalist junkie), but after buying an item recently from him, I am completely sold by his customer service. Without a doubt he will be able to give you great insight on the Eberlestock packs he carries.

As far as my opinion goes on packs, I was nearly sold on one of the new GS2's with the Intex tube frame, but after having the chance to carry a Mystery Ranch Assault with NICE framerecently, I went that route instead. The GS2 was a solid competitor, and maybe first choice when it comes to carrying your rifle in a pack, but the way the MR pack loads sold me, and I compromised by just strapping my rifle to it instead.

That being said, I haven't hiked with a rifle tucked in a scabbard so I may find that strapping the rifle to the side of the pack for extended hunts is not as convenient as I thought it would be...

I have the older Eberlestock Skycrane I picked up 2d hand here with what is called a removable 3-day pack, scabbard and shooting mat . I leave all the shooting gear in the outboard cells and just unzip the center and carry it into the inn for the night. At the shoot, can just unzip the outer cells to butterfly the pack and unfold the shooting mat. It's a great setup but as others have mentioned a bit heavy, but this is one of the bigger packs and is very configurable. Overall a great pack but overkill for a one day shoot. The new model is here: Eberlestock Skycrane II

Last edited:
    Thanks Guys. I probably will be calling Celyon tomorrow. Im thinking Eberlestock as rifle carrying is the most important thing now.

if carrying your rifle is your main concern, the x3 lo drag will serve you well and it costs around 100$ less than the gunslinger2. has a bit less room but there is a lot of webbing on the front and sides to add pouches or whatever you like. mine is the perfect configuration for 1-2 day matches in my case anyways. I shoot a 300wm and have no problem carrying all my ammo, rifle, full hydration bladder, some food and a few extra gatorades in the water bottle pockets.

1) Call Ceylon. Great guy. Makes you feel like you're his most important customer, spends as much time on the phone with you as needed, and he's got great advice experience with his gear. Eberlestock IS quality.
    2) Kifaru and Mystery Ranch are quality, too. Each has it's own pros/cons, depending on your application.
    3) If you are going to "pack" your gun, the closer to your center-of-gravity, the better. Even with an uber-ultra-light rifle, the further out you mount it, the more you will "feel" that 'moment-arm' swinging around...

I have experience with a Gunslinger 2, a G4 Operator, and a Mystery Ranch NICE setup.
    -Without a rifle, the MR was the most comfortable, but the least convenient for accessing my gear. The GS2 is "compactable" enough to use as a carry-on when flying (even with two 2-liter pouches; one each side). Those Eberlestock scabbards are awesome for carrying other stuff when not holding a boomstick.
    -WITH a rifle, my vote goes to the GS2 most of the time. Longer hauls lean towards the G4. The scabbard keeps the gun close and PADDED. Let it ride high (beaver-tail tucked-in and secured) to be able to sit with the pack still on; let it ride low for lower CG while walking.

For you, sounds like the modularity of something in a J-series Eberlestock would work. The hunting fabric is quieter, but the cordura is more forgiving/durable.

Thanks Guys. I probably will be calling Celyon tomorrow. Im thinking Eberlestock as rifle carrying is the most important thing now.

Just ordered a pack and few other things for a Caribou hunt in Alaska this fall. Celyon will take care you.